From: Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>
To: Madhu patel <patelmadhu06@gmail.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, "hubicka@ucw.cz" <hubicka@ucw.cz>
Subject: Re: GSoC'2023: Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files: GCC
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:18:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

We are delighted you found looking into GCC interesting.

On Thu, Mar 09 2023, Madhu patel via Gcc wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I'm interested in working on the project `Bypass assembler when generating
> LTO object files` in the GCC organization through GSoC'2023.

Great, please note that the task as already been discussed on the
mailing list and some information is available in the archives at

   https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html

> I am Madhu Patel, a fourth-year B.Tech. student in Computer Science at
> IGDTUW, with a CGPA of 8.7/10. I have previously interned at Adobe India,
> Rabvik Innovations, and FM solutions, and I am currently a research intern
> at IIT Roorkee. I am also working on a research paper on Linux Kernel
> Evolution for the USENIX publication. Moreover, my research paper on Stock
> Price Prediction was recently accepted at the IEEE Conference. You can find
> more information about my work on my LinkedIn and GitHub profiles.

That is an impressive list.  On a more specific note, do you have any -
rudimentary is fine - background in the theory of compilers?  Are you
familiar with concepts like intermediate representation (intermediate
language)?

> Please suggest a few initial tasks I can work on during the application
> period and attach them to my application. I have already prepared a
> timeline/planner, great if you could have a look at it and suggest any
> enhancements. Additionally, I have signed in to the mailing lists, and IRCs
> and done the initial tasks as described on the project page [1]
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode>.

Great.  What are the issues you have encountered?  I assume you have
seen David's guide for newcomers too?  If not, have a look at it at
https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

I am afraid there are not very many small issues or problems that can be
dealt with in a few weeks.  Instead, I would encourage you to keep
investigating the code, particularly around the areas described in the
mailing list post I linked above, and start thinking about how you'd
achieve the overall goal.  Feel free to ask any specific questions you
might have about the project and GCC development in general here.

Good luck!

Martin