* GSoC'2023: Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files: GCC
@ 2023-03-08 19:57 Madhu patel
From: Madhu patel @ 2023-03-08 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, hubicka

Hi Jan,

I'm interested in working on the project `Bypass assembler when generating
LTO object files` in the GCC organization through GSoC'2023.

I am Madhu Patel, a fourth-year B.Tech. student in Computer Science at
IGDTUW, with a CGPA of 8.7/10. I have previously interned at Adobe India,
Rabvik Innovations, and FM solutions, and I am currently a research intern
at IIT Roorkee. I am also working on a research paper on Linux Kernel
Evolution for the USENIX publication. Moreover, my research paper on Stock
Price Prediction was recently accepted at the IEEE Conference. You can find
more information about my work on my LinkedIn and GitHub profiles.

Please suggest a few initial tasks I can work on during the application
period and attach them to my application. I have already prepared a
timeline/planner, great if you could have a look at it and suggest any
enhancements. Additionally, I have signed in to the mailing lists, and IRCs
and done the initial tasks as described on the project page [1]
<https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode>.

Thanks,
Madhu Patel
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/madhu-patel/> | Github
<https://github.com/Madhupatel08>

* Re: GSoC'2023: Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files: GCC
@ 2023-03-14 17:18 ` Martin Jambor
       [not found]   ` <CABDzTva2fqqVLEPC7U7CbJJ11rHDDcKLjzPGPxFQXwXG+djHgA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-14 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu patel; +Cc: gcc, hubicka

Hello,

We are delighted you found looking into GCC interesting.

On Thu, Mar 09 2023, Madhu patel via Gcc wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I'm interested in working on the project `Bypass assembler when generating
> LTO object files` in the GCC organization through GSoC'2023.

Great, please note that the task as already been discussed on the
mailing list and some information is available in the archives at

   https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html

> I am Madhu Patel, a fourth-year B.Tech. student in Computer Science at
> IGDTUW, with a CGPA of 8.7/10. I have previously interned at Adobe India,
> Rabvik Innovations, and FM solutions, and I am currently a research intern
> at IIT Roorkee. I am also working on a research paper on Linux Kernel
> Evolution for the USENIX publication. Moreover, my research paper on Stock
> Price Prediction was recently accepted at the IEEE Conference. You can find
> more information about my work on my LinkedIn and GitHub profiles.

That is an impressive list.  On a more specific note, do you have any -
rudimentary is fine - background in the theory of compilers?  Are you
familiar with concepts like intermediate representation (intermediate
language)?

> Please suggest a few initial tasks I can work on during the application
> period and attach them to my application. I have already prepared a
> timeline/planner, great if you could have a look at it and suggest any
> enhancements. Additionally, I have signed in to the mailing lists, and IRCs
> and done the initial tasks as described on the project page [1]
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode>.

Great.  What are the issues you have encountered?  I assume you have
seen David's guide for newcomers too?  If not, have a look at it at
https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

I am afraid there are not very many small issues or problems that can be
dealt with in a few weeks.  Instead, I would encourage you to keep
investigating the code, particularly around the areas described in the
mailing list post I linked above, and start thinking about how you'd
achieve the overall goal.  Feel free to ask any specific questions you
might have about the project and GCC development in general here.

Good luck!

Martin

@ 2023-03-21 20:08     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-21 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

please make sure you CC the mailing list in these communications.

On Thu, Mar 16 2023, Madhu patel wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>That is an impressive list.  On a more specific note, do you have any -
>> rudimentary is fine - background in the theory of compilers?  Are you
>> familiar with concepts like intermediate representation (intermediate
>> language)?
>
> Yes! I have Built the GCC from source and Yes, I do have good knowledge of
> compilers. We had this subject in the college curriculum where we studied
> intermediate representation.  I have good knowledge of C++, c, Java, and
> Bash. etc.
>
>>Great.  What are the issues you have encountered?  I assume you have
>>seen David's guide for newcomers too?  If not, have a look at it at
>>https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
>
> Yes, I have built the GCC from scratch on my Linux Machine.
> I have written the documentation for the same. And working on understanding
> the details of offLoading.
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ffx7c29f0yfhvbiuvndku/GCC.paper?dl=0&rlkey=76x89xkzz3h41uemor9ksw6sl

Just a note, using images to capture terminal (instead of the text that
is there) is a very bad practice.  (The configure step is also quite
conspicuously missing in your text, why?)

> And gone through the
> https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
> <https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html> and did a
> basic setup for GCC on my Linux machine.
>
> Can we schedule a meeting to discuss the project's timeline and specific
> tasks that I can take on?
> Please let me know your availability.

Sorry but no, I am not able to and do not intend to schedule calls with
GSoC applicants.  I'll be happy to discuss stuff on the mailing-list.

Estimating a timeline and coming up with (at least some) milestones of
the project is part of the exercise of writing a proposal.  GSoC
contributors need to demonstrate a certain level of independent thought
and initiative - though of course the community is always there to help
with specific questions and difficulties.

The project has been discussed already in
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html and this
message should be enough to get you started.

Good luck,

Martin