public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* RE: examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-12 21:01 nak26
From: nak26 @ 2003-06-12 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: drow, gdb

>>> 1. Is it possible to examine a core file on a remote machine, in the
cases,
>> where fetching the core is undesirable due to the thinness of the pipe.
>
>This is not supported.

How hard would it be to add support for that? I can give it a try, but would
need some guidance...

>> 2. Does the gdbserver that comes with gdb5.3 work with multithreaded apps,
or
>> it needs to be additionally patched?
>
>It should work.

I saw a PREPARE_TO_PROCEED patch beeing mentioned in some of the posts. In
which cases it heeds to be applied?

Thanks,
--Nik

* Re: examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-12 21:08 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-12 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nak26; +Cc: drow, gdb

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 04:59:55PM -0400, nak26 wrote:
> cases,
> >> where fetching the core is undesirable due to the thinness of the pipe.
> >
> >This is not supported.
>
> How hard would it be to add support for that? I can give it a try, but would
> need some guidance...

I have no idea how you would do it.  You'd have to transfer essentially
the same info anyway.  Or port gdbserver to have a "core file" target
but I don't know how well that would work.

> >> 2. Does the gdbserver that comes with gdb5.3 work with multithreaded apps,
> or
> >> it needs to be additionally patched?
> >
> >It should work.
>
> I saw a PREPARE_TO_PROCEED patch beeing mentioned in some of the posts. In
> which cases it heeds to be applied?

You'll probably never hit it unless you manually use the "thread"
command to switch threads and then single-step the new thread.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-13 15:48       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

>> >Allow gdbserver to read from a core file instead of a running process.
>> >It would be tricky; you'll have to figure out how to do it yourself.
>

>> There was a suggestion made that GDB could manipulate files on the
>> remote system (mainly to get at /proc/auxv).  Such a mechanism would
>> also address the core file problem.
>

> This is a reasonable idea, but I think our current remote protocol is
> not quite up to the task.  Let's keep it on the list along with
> multiple channels (for I/O) and file upload/download...

qPread;FILE,OFFSET,LENGTH
qPwrite:FILE,OFFSET,DATA

Andrew

* RE: examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-13 14:18 nak26
From: nak26 @ 2003-06-13 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

>nak26, do you have an FSF assignment?
>
>Andrew

No...don't know what that means either
Cheers,
--Nik

* Re: examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-13 13:39     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-13 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

@ 2003-06-13 13:31   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-13 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: nak26, gdb

@ 2003-06-13 13:19 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nak26; +Cc: gdb

@ 2003-06-12 21:17 nak26
From: nak26 @ 2003-06-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

@ 2003-06-12 21:02 nak26
From: nak26 @ 2003-06-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, Kevin Buettner; +Cc: drow, gdb

>===== Original Message From Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com> =====

>> >This is not supported.
>>
>> Can anybody think of another way of doing that (not involving gdbserver)?
>
>Either copy the file to the host or use some sort of remote filesystem
>mount (e.g. NFS) to get at the core file.
>
>I have a feeling that this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear though...
>
>Kevin

Copying is not desirable. Cross-mounting is an option.

Thanks,
--Nik

* Re: examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-12 20:41 ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2003-06-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nak26, Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: drow, gdb

@ 2003-06-12 20:18 nak26
From: nak26 @ 2003-06-12 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: drow, gdb

@ 2003-06-12 20:11 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nak26; +Cc: gdb, drow

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 04:03:15PM -0400, nak26 wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a few questions. Your 2cents would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 1. Is it possible to examine a core file on a remote machine, in the cases,
> where fetching the core is undesirable due to the thinness of the pipe.

This is not supported.

> 2. Does the gdbserver that comes with gdb5.3 work with multithreaded apps, or
> it needs to be additionally patched?

It should work.

> 3. Is there a patch that allows attaching a gdbserver to a multi threaded
> process?

Not yet.  I believe someone is working on it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* examining remote core dumps; MT support for attach;
@ 2003-06-12 20:03 nak26