public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-19 17:40 Chris.Pedley
From: Chris.Pedley @ 2003-08-19 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Is it actually possible to cross compile GDB for anything other than
cygwin.  In the output from ./configure when trying to configure for cross
compiling using the GNU ARM tools I get the message:
    configure: cross-compiling for a non-cygwin target is not supported

Also, can anyone confirm to me what the exact definitions of host, target
and build are when passed to ./configure?

Thanks.

Chris Pedley,  Graduate Engineer
Intellectual Property Solutions Division
ARM Ltd, 110 Fulbourn Rd, Cambridge CB1 9NJ UK
Tel : +44 1223 400847     Fax: +44 1223 400410

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-19 17:43 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-08-19 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris.Pedley; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:40:12PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
> Is it actually possible to cross compile GDB for anything other than
> cygwin.  In the output from ./configure when trying to configure for cross
> compiling using the GNU ARM tools I get the message:
>     configure: cross-compiling for a non-cygwin target is not supported
>
> Also, can anyone confirm to me what the exact definitions of host, target
> and build are when passed to ./configure?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris Pedley,  Graduate Engineer
> Intellectual Property Solutions Division
> ARM Ltd, 110 Fulbourn Rd, Cambridge CB1 9NJ UK
> Tel : +44 1223 400847     Fax: +44 1223 400410

It sounds like you're using the Cygwin sources for GDB.  If you're not
building a Cygwin-targeted GDB, don't do that - or direct comments to
the cygwin list.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-19 18:00   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-08-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:43:05PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:40:12PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
>>Is it actually possible to cross compile GDB for anything other than
>>cygwin.  In the output from ./configure when trying to configure for
>>cross compiling using the GNU ARM tools I get the message: configure:
>>cross-compiling for a non-cygwin target is not supported
>>
>>Also, can anyone confirm to me what the exact definitions of host,
>>target and build are when passed to ./configure?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>It sounds like you're using the Cygwin sources for GDB.  If you're not
>building a Cygwin-targeted GDB, don't do that - or direct comments to
>the cygwin list.

"Cygwin sources for gdb"?  The sources for cygwin's gdb are the same as
for any other platform.

cgf

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-19 18:31     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-08-19 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 02:00:37PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:43:05PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:40:12PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
> >>Is it actually possible to cross compile GDB for anything other than
> >>cygwin.  In the output from ./configure when trying to configure for
> >>cross compiling using the GNU ARM tools I get the message: configure:
> >>cross-compiling for a non-cygwin target is not supported
> >>
> >>Also, can anyone confirm to me what the exact definitions of host,
> >>target and build are when passed to ./configure?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >
> >It sounds like you're using the Cygwin sources for GDB.  If you're not
> >building a Cygwin-targeted GDB, don't do that - or direct comments to
> >the cygwin list.
>
> "Cygwin sources for gdb"?  The sources for cygwin's gdb are the same as
> for any other platform.

If so I apologize, but I swear I've heard of local patches from the
cygwin people before.  Maybe I was thinking of another tool?

In any case, that error message doesn't come from the FSF sources
anywhere.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-19 20:56       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-08-19 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 02:31:05PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 02:00:37PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >It sounds like you're using the Cygwin sources for GDB.  If you're not
>> >building a Cygwin-targeted GDB, don't do that - or direct comments to
>> >the cygwin list.
>>
>> "Cygwin sources for gdb"?  The sources for cygwin's gdb are the same as
>> for any other platform.
>
>If so I apologize, but I swear I've heard of local patches from the
>cygwin people before.  Maybe I was thinking of another tool?

Oops.  You're right.  There is a local patch to symtab.c that I'd
forgotten about.  It was submitted by Jim Blandy but (apparently) never
applied.  I guess it's time to research this.

In any event, your advice is still valid.  There's no reason to use the
cygwin sources of gdb if you're trying to build a gdb for another
platform.

>In any case, that error message doesn't come from the FSF sources
>anywhere.

It seems like the error is coming from readline/configure.

cgf

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-20 14:24 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-08-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris.Pedley; +Cc: Izo, gdb

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:17:02PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:

> On 20/08/2003 15:03:16 Izo wrote:
> >Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
> >>I'm trying to build a gdb debugger to be run on ARM Linux to debug apps
> >>natively running under ARM Linux.  I will be building gdb using the
> >>arm-linux-gcc cross compiler on an Intel box, so was trying to configure
> >>with:
> >>target=arm-linux
> >>build=i386-linux
> >>host=arm-linux
> >>with-headers=<path to kernel sources>/linux-2.4.19/include
> >>

> >So you are building the gdb with the ix86 machine - so
> >host="i386-linux", or better (if you are using PIV - host="i686-linux")
> >So you are building for the arm target ==> target="arm-linux"
> >So the build is (amongst other builds) build="arm-linux"
> >
> >configure --prefix=whatever --host="i686-linux" --target="arm-linux"
> >--build="arm-linux"
> >
> >Consider using the export CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS="-fsigned-char -mcpu=one of
> >the arm ones -march=right one" prior to running configure to get the
> >properly working and optimized code for your target. Especially the
> >-fsigned-char (see the newest DrDobbsJournal for other ARM
> >compatibility/portability issues)
> >

> So you think host should be i386-linux, but the previous email in this
> thread suggests that Daniel Jacobowitz gets it to build with the host
> as arm-linux.  Can someone please give me a definition of, or
> the document that defines the meaning of host, target and build?

The confusion is because you didn't specify clearly which kind of
debugger you wanted.  You want a native debugger, not a cross debugger,
so you want host=arm-linux.

build: where you are building
host: where the result will run
target: the kind of binaries it will be able to debug/compile/whatever.
	only applicable to tools like gcc and gdb.  For instance, you
	never build glibc with --target.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-20 14:17 Chris.Pedley
From: Chris.Pedley @ 2003-08-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Izo; +Cc: gdb

@ 2003-08-20 13:33 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-08-20 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris.Pedley; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 02:28:14PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:

> On 20/08/2003 14:05:30 gdb-owner wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:20:47AM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
> >> I presume that the GDB at the following location isn't cygwin specific?
> >> ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-5.3.tar.gz
> >>
> >> However, if you look at line 53 in gdb-5.3/readline/configure.in then
> >> it issues the error given above if cross compiling for a non-cygwin
> >> target.
> >>
> >> Also my questions about build, host and target have been raised
> >> because I'm unsure about the check for a cross compiler at line 123
> >> in gdb-5.3/configure.in.  This checks whether the host and target
> >> are the same thing, and only assumes it is a cross compiler if they
> >> are different.  Why isn't this actually checking build and host?
> >
> >Can you be a little clearer what you're trying to do?
> >
> >First of all, that seems like a really lame bug in readline.  But it's
> >easily fixable.  But second, do you want a cross debugger or a native
> >debugger for a non-cygwin host?  $is_cross_compiler is whether the GCC
> >being built will be a cross compiler - that configure script is shared
> >with GDB.  That's a host vs target issue.
>
> So is it definitely a bug, and is it definitely possible to cross compile
> gdb
> for other systems than cygwin?
>
> I'm trying to build a gdb debugger to be run on ARM Linux to debug apps
> natively running under ARM Linux.  I will be building gdb using the
> arm-linux-gcc cross compiler on an Intel box, so was trying to configure
> with:
> target=arm-linux
> build=i386-linux
> host=arm-linux
> with-headers=<path to kernel sources>/linux-2.4.19/include
>
> This will fail because it will report that with-headers is only supported
> when cross compiling.  I'm muddled as to what target, build and host
> therefore actually are?

Well, --with-headers is only supported when _building a cross
compiler_.  You don't need to specify it.  Assuming arm-linux-gcc is
built correctly it already knows where the headers are.  (Also, as a
note, when building a cross compiler the kernel headers aren't what you
want.  It usually needs glibc headers too.)

The readline error message is not fatal.  I needed to set... um...
bash_cv_have_mbstate_t=yes in the environment, and that was it; the
build worked.  I've been meaning to fix readline but not had a chance.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Cross Compiling GDB
@ 2003-08-20 13:28 Chris.Pedley