public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-02 18:18 Joel Brobecker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2005-11-02 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Just as a sanity check before creating the 6.4 branch, I ran the
gdb_mbuild.sh script. Here are the results:

* Build fails, but succeeds if we remove -Werror:
        arm-elf: compile failed
        avr: compile failed
        frv-elf: compile failed
        h8300-elf: compile failed
        ia64-linux-gnu: compile failed
        m32r-elf: compile failed
        m68hc11-elf: compile failed
        mips-elf: compile failed
        sh-elf: compile failed
        v850-elf: compile failed

  Andrew Stubbs just committed a patch so sh-elf should now compile
  with -Werror.

* Build fails, even without -Werror:
        ms1-elf: compile failed
        configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support target ms1-unknown-elf"

* Build fails, even without -Werror:
        sh64-elf: compile failed
        make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../sim/sh64/libsim.a', needed by `gdb'.  Stop.

I haven't had time to look at the two real build failures, but I don't
think we should delay the branch for them. Similarly, being able to build
all the cross configurations above without warnings is not, in my opinion,
a must have for the release. It would be nice to have everything fixed in
head, though.

--
Joel

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-02 18:24 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-11-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:17:56AM -0800, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> Just as a sanity check before creating the 6.4 branch, I ran the
> gdb_mbuild.sh script. Here are the results:
>
> * Build fails, but succeeds if we remove -Werror:

A huge number of configurations do not currently build without -Werror,
due to unfinished gdb_byte changes.

Honestly, I recommend we disable -Werror for this release, if we aren't
going to spend a month fixing them.  You think the cross builds are
bad?  It's the natives that really break badly.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-02 18:58   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker, gdb

> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:24:27 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> Honestly, I recommend we disable -Werror for this release, if we aren't
> going to spend a month fixing them.

I concur.

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-02 23:28   ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-11-02 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:24:27 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> Honestly, I recommend we disable -Werror for this release, if we aren't
> going to spend a month fixing them.  You think the cross builds are
> bad?  It's the natives that really break badly.

But it's only enabled in gdb_mbuild.sh.  That hardly matters for the
release.  By default, we still configure without -Werror.  I really
think that's why so many stuff has problems with -Werror.  So instead
I think, we should *enable* -Werror by default on the main branch
after the release branch has been made.  I volunteer to do the
necessary legwork and create a suitable patch.

Mark

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-02 23:35 ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-11-02 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brobecker; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:17:56 -0800
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
>
> Just as a sanity check before creating the 6.4 branch, I ran the
> gdb_mbuild.sh script. Here are the results:
>
> * Build fails, but succeeds if we remove -Werror:
>         arm-elf: compile failed
>         avr: compile failed
>         frv-elf: compile failed
>         h8300-elf: compile failed
>         ia64-linux-gnu: compile failed
>         m32r-elf: compile failed
>         m68hc11-elf: compile failed
>         mips-elf: compile failed
>         sh-elf: compile failed
>         v850-elf: compile failed

This is an interresting list.  It might be a bit biased by the version
of GCC used by Joel, but it either means that these targets aren't
properly maintained, or that its maintainer needs to be educated about
-Werror.  Or perhaps we should enable -Werror by default on the main
branch.  Anyway, we should consider these targets aa candidates for
removal after 6.4.

> * Build fails, even without -Werror:
>         ms1-elf: compile failed
>         configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support target ms1-unknown-elf"

Kevin, looks like you forgot to check in some crucial part for ms1.

Mark

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-03 19:56   ` Stephane Carrez
From: Stephane Carrez @ 2005-11-03 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-03 21:13     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-11-03 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:28:02AM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:24:27 -0500
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> >
> > Honestly, I recommend we disable -Werror for this release, if we aren't
> > going to spend a month fixing them.  You think the cross builds are
> > bad?  It's the natives that really break badly.
>
> But it's only enabled in gdb_mbuild.sh.  That hardly matters for the
> release.  By default, we still configure without -Werror.  I really
> think that's why so many stuff has problems with -Werror.  So instead
> I think, we should *enable* -Werror by default on the main branch
> after the release branch has been made.  I volunteer to do the
> necessary legwork and create a suitable patch.

Sorry, we get -Werror by default for the various directories from
binutils.  I was close.

After a release would be the right time to switch it on for gdb, if
ever.  But we would need broad build testing from CVS on the native
platforms, and I don't think we've _ever_ had that.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-03 21:20     ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-11-03 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stcarrez; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:56:41 +0100
> From: Stephane Carrez <stcarrez@nerim.fr>
>
> Mark Kettenis wrote:
> >>Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:17:56 -0800
> >>From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> >>
> >>Just as a sanity check before creating the 6.4 branch, I ran the
> >>gdb_mbuild.sh script. Here are the results:
> >>
> >>* Build fails, but succeeds if we remove -Werror:
> >>        arm-elf: compile failed
> >>        avr: compile failed
> >>        frv-elf: compile failed
> >>        h8300-elf: compile failed
> >>        ia64-linux-gnu: compile failed
> >>        m32r-elf: compile failed
> >>        m68hc11-elf: compile failed
> >>        mips-elf: compile failed
> >>        sh-elf: compile failed
> >>        v850-elf: compile failed
> >

> > This is an interresting list.  It might be a bit biased by the version
> > of GCC used by Joel, but it either means that these targets aren't
> > properly maintained, or that its maintainer needs to be educated about
> > -Werror.  Or perhaps we should enable -Werror by default on the main
> > branch.  Anyway, we should consider these targets aa candidates for
> > removal after 6.4.
> >

> I'll speak for m68hc11-elf and say: NO!

:-)

> It builds without warnings with gcc 3.2.  gcc 3.4 has warnings
> due to introduction of gdb_byte (not detected by gcc 3.2).

So the list is a bit biased then.

> I have a fix and will commit as soon as possible.

Great!

Mark

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-03 22:51       ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2005-11-03 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:12:21 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:28:02AM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:24:27 -0500
> > > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> > >
> > > Honestly, I recommend we disable -Werror for this release, if we aren't
> > > going to spend a month fixing them.  You think the cross builds are
> > > bad?  It's the natives that really break badly.
> >
> > But it's only enabled in gdb_mbuild.sh.  That hardly matters for the
> > release.  By default, we still configure without -Werror.  I really
> > think that's why so many stuff has problems with -Werror.  So instead
> > I think, we should *enable* -Werror by default on the main branch
> > after the release branch has been made.  I volunteer to do the
> > necessary legwork and create a suitable patch.
>
> Sorry, we get -Werror by default for the various directories from
> binutils.  I was close.

Ah yes, we might want to switch that off for the release.  I think
-Werror there caused a few issues on some HP-UX versions, and I'm not
sure I fixed all of those.  But then there's always --disable-werror.

> After a release would be the right time to switch it on for gdb, if
> ever.  But we would need broad build testing from CVS on the native
> platforms, and I don't think we've _ever_ had that.

Well, I think it's safe to assume that native platforms that haven't
been built during the 6.3 -> 6.4 cycle, will be broken anyway.  If we
really care about -Werror (and I think we should, bacause it catches
sloppy code and real bugs) then the only way to keep our code
warning-free is enabling it.  That forces people to fix the problems
in the code they care about.  We can always disable it again shortly
before release if we're not confident that all problems have been
fixed.

Mark

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-03 22:52         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-11-03 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: brobecker, gdb

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:51:06PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Well, I think it's safe to assume that native platforms that haven't
> been built during the 6.3 -> 6.4 cycle, will be broken anyway.  If we

This I'm not sure about...

> really care about -Werror (and I think we should, bacause it catches
> sloppy code and real bugs) then the only way to keep our code
> warning-free is enabling it.  That forces people to fix the problems
> in the code they care about.  We can always disable it again shortly
> before release if we're not confident that all problems have been
> fixed.

But this part is fine by me.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-04 10:19   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-11-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Nov  3 00:34, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:17:56 -0800
> > From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> >
> > Just as a sanity check before creating the 6.4 branch, I ran the
> > gdb_mbuild.sh script. Here are the results:
> >
> > * Build fails, but succeeds if we remove -Werror:
> >         arm-elf: compile failed
> >         avr: compile failed
> >         frv-elf: compile failed
> >         h8300-elf: compile failed
> >         ia64-linux-gnu: compile failed
> >         m32r-elf: compile failed
> >         m68hc11-elf: compile failed
> >         mips-elf: compile failed
> >         sh-elf: compile failed
> >         v850-elf: compile failed
>
> This is an interresting list.  It might be a bit biased by the version
> of GCC used by Joel, but it either means that these targets aren't
> properly maintained, or that its maintainer needs to be educated about
> -Werror.  Or perhaps we should enable -Werror by default on the main
> branch.  Anyway, we should consider these targets aa candidates for
> removal after 6.4.

I don't think so at all.  The -Werror results are just due to the usage
of gdb_byte and I don't think that qualifies for treating these targets
as broken.  It only means that nobody touched the targets after the
gdb_byte change has been introduced, but that doesn't invalidate the
targets as a whole.  This point of view is somewhat excessive, IMHO.

FWIW, I'll have a look into h8300-elf, sh-elf and v850-elf at one point,
but the change is very likely only mechanical and could have been done
by everybody who has build these targets lately.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-04 10:34     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-11-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com> writes:

> I don't think so at all.  The -Werror results are just due to the usage
> of gdb_byte and I don't think that qualifies for treating these targets
> as broken.  It only means that nobody touched the targets after the
> gdb_byte change has been introduced, but that doesn't invalidate the
> targets as a whole.  This point of view is somewhat excessive, IMHO.

Especially since there are massive warnings in generic code.  For example:

valprint.c: In function 'partial_memory_read':
valprint.c:1047: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'target_read_
memory' differ in signedness
valprint.c:1058: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'target_read_
memory' differ in signedness
valprint.c: In function 'val_print_string':
valprint.c:1168: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'extract_unsi
gned_integer' differ in signedness
valprint.c:1207: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'target_read_
memory' differ in signedness
valprint.c:1208: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'extract_unsi
gned_integer' differ in signedness
valprint.c:1230: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'current_lang
uage->la_printstr' differ in signedness
valprint.c: In function '_initialize_valprint':
valprint.c:1388: warning: unused variable 'c'

Andreas.

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-07 19:43 ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2005-11-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:17:56 -0800
Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:

> Just as a sanity check before creating the 6.4 branch, I ran the
> gdb_mbuild.sh script. Here are the results:
>
> * Build fails, but succeeds if we remove -Werror:
>         arm-elf: compile failed
>         avr: compile failed
>         frv-elf: compile failed
>         h8300-elf: compile failed
>         ia64-linux-gnu: compile failed
>         m32r-elf: compile failed
>         m68hc11-elf: compile failed
>         mips-elf: compile failed
>         sh-elf: compile failed
>         v850-elf: compile failed

I'll take a look at ia64-linux-gnu and frv-elf.  Do you want -Werror cleanups
applied to both the release branch and mainline or mainline only?

> * Build fails, even without -Werror:
>         ms1-elf: compile failed
>         configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support target ms1-unknown-elf"

This is very strange.  I just did a clean checkout and managed to build
ms1-elf _with_ -Werror.  (I did the build on a Fedora Core 3 machine if that
matters.)

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-07 22:24   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2005-11-07 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buettner; +Cc: gdb

> I'll take a look at ia64-linux-gnu and frv-elf.  Do you want -Werror cleanups
> applied to both the release branch and mainline or mainline only?

IMO, only mainline is fine, especially if the warnings do not point
at a blocking bug.

> > * Build fails, even without -Werror:
> >         ms1-elf: compile failed
> >         configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support target ms1-unknown-elf"
>
> This is very strange.  I just did a clean checkout and managed to build
> ms1-elf _with_ -Werror.  (I did the build on a Fedora Core 3 machine if that
> matters.)

Strange indeed. I'm redoing the build right now, so I'll let you know
if I still see some problems, and what they are if applicable.

--
Joel

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-07 22:38     ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2005-11-07 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buettner; +Cc: gdb

> > This is very strange.  I just did a clean checkout and managed to build
> > ms1-elf _with_ -Werror.  (I did the build on a Fedora Core 3 machine if that
> > matters.)
>
> Strange indeed. I'm redoing the build right now, so I'll let you know
> if I still see some problems, and what they are if applicable.

Just for the record, I indeed managed to build it without problems
using a different machine. Not sure what happened, perhaps an unwanted
side effect of restarting a build that previously failed, or something
like this. The 6.4 branch builds with -Werror if I apply the following
fix:

        [COMMIT] Fix warning in event-top.c
        http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2005-11/msg00028.html

--
Joel

* Re: Status on cross builds
@ 2005-11-08  1:56     ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2005-11-08  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:24:31 -0800
Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:

> > I'll take a look at ia64-linux-gnu and frv-elf.  Do you want -Werror cleanups
> > applied to both the release branch and mainline or mainline only?
>
> IMO, only mainline is fine, especially if the warnings do not point
> at a blocking bug.

I've just committed some suitable fixes to the mainline which allow
ia64-linux-gnu and frv-elf to once again build using -Werror.

The frv-elf fixes were all gdb_byte related and the ia64 fix was a
one-liner which simply changed a floatformat related type.  As such,
I don't think these need to go on the release branch, though if someone
wants them there, I'm willing to commit to the branch as well.

Kevin