public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* BDI interfering with gdbserver on PPC target
@ 2007-11-22  0:12 Steve DeLaney
From: Steve DeLaney @ 2007-11-22  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello, we are using BDI2000 on a PPC405 (Xilinx)
target.  earlier we used BDI for kernel hacking but
now we are testing applications.  but we are still
downloading linux using BDI.

with linux thus downloaded and running on target, we
next launch gdbserver debug stub on target and
powerpc-linux-gdb on host.  everything works OK up
until a breakpoint fires:

target remote 192.168.1.20:9999
break main
continue

BDI reports
- TARGET:  core #0 has entered debug mode
bdi>info
Debug entry cause:  trap instruction

at which point gdbserver and gdb on host hang and the
session is stalled.

can it be that BDI is interfering with the trap
instruction?

we turned on debug remote 1
gdb attempts software breakpoint, then binary
download, finally memory edits.  host gdb and
gdbserver appear to interact OK.

Any ideas?

thanks we are stuck...

/steverino2

* Re: BDI interfering with gdbserver on PPC target
@ 2007-11-23  3:47 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-11-23  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve DeLaney; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:12:02PM -0800, Steve DeLaney wrote:
> can it be that BDI is interfering with the trap
> instruction?

Yes, this happens on a lot of different targets.  There's nothing we
can do about it - you'd have to talk to the kernel folks or the BDI
supplier.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* RE: BDI interfering with gdbserver on PPC target
@ 2007-12-10 16:40   ` Steve DeLaney
From: Steve DeLaney @ 2007-12-10 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel Jacobowitz'; +Cc: gdb

Well it took a while but finally isolated this issue.  It's a little
esoteric perhaps but for future reference BDI can be controlled with the
config file by disabling VECTOR CATCH

Similarly a Xilinx XMD JTAG debugger had the same problem. in that case it's
a matter of writing a PPC405 SPR DBCR0 to configure internal debug.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:12:02PM -0800, Steve DeLaney wrote:
> can it be that BDI is interfering with the trap instruction?

Yes, this happens on a lot of different targets.  There's nothing we can do
about it - you'd have to talk to the kernel folks or the BDI supplier.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* help building gdb 6.7.1 for windows CE ARM
@ 2007-12-10 17:32     ` Steve DeLaney
From: Steve DeLaney @ 2007-12-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am attempting a build of gdb 6.7.1 for windows CE ARM target using
mingw32ce  the objective is to have gdbserver on target providing a "target
remote x" interface to the host development gdb.  in other words a standard
session configuration.

can anyone help with the --target and --host configure options ?

I think there is a bfd patch but not sure if it is located in the patches
archive ?

we are stuck on this

thanks,