public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-04  4:41 Andrew Cagney
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-04  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
.
.
.
Any one even got an idea as to the consequences?

Andrew

* Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-04  6:10 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-05-04  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, gdb

I've been waiting for DWARF 1 to come up.  Here are some random facts:

I've run the test suite with -gdwarf and -gdwarf+.  My results were
40+ ERRORs and 3400+ FAILs.

In gcc 3.2.2, these targets prefer DWARF 1:

  i[34567]86-dg-dgux*
  i[34567]86-sequent-ptx4*
  i[34567]86-sequent-sysv4*
  m88k-dg-dgux*
  mips-sni-sysv4
  sparc-hal-solaris2*

I also have a list for gcc 2.95.3, which is quite a bit longer.

  i[34567]86-dg-dgux*
  i[34567]86-ncr-sysv4*
  i[34567]86-sequent-ptx4*
  i[34567]86-sequent-sysv4*
  i[34567]86-*-osf1*
  i[34567]86-*-sco3.2v5*
  i[34567]86-*-sysv4*
  i860-alliant-*
  i860-*-sysv4*
  m68k-atari-sysv4*
  m68k-cbm-sysv4*
  m68k-*-sysv4*
  m88k-dg-dgux*
  m88k-*-sysv4*
  mips-sni-sysv4
  mips-*-gnu*
  sh-*-elf*
  sh-*-rtemself*
  sparc-hal-solaris2*
  sparc-*-sysv4*

The real hang-up is non-gcc compilers that emit DWARF 1.

I recall seeing two instances of that in bug reports in the past year,
but I don't have URL's handy.

Michael C

* Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-04 16:08 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-05-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dberlin; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

db> *All* the sequent targets (not just those in the email above) are
db> scheduled to go in 3.3.

If I recall correctly, the i*86-sequent-ptx4* configuration was
reprieved because some poeple said they were actually using it.
And then it came back onto an obsoletion list later and didn't
get reprieved.  That matches what you are saying.

But that's pretty vague in my mind.  I need to dive into the archives
some more.

The older configurations like i*86-sequent-ptx2* were killed.

db> If you guys want to support something because 2.95 does, feel free, but
db> realize that the gcc team (me included) will close bug reports against
db> 2.95.x where it's been fixed in a later version.

Right.  Some users are stuck with gcc 2.95.3.  As a gdb guy, I would
like everybody to upgrade to most recent gdb, even people who are
stuck with gcc 2.95.3.

I am in favor of obsoleting DWARF 1 support.  But if we don't do it
right now, it will continue to get easier in the future.  Gcc keeps
dropping the dwarf-1 configurations for us, which is cool.

db> Besides that, whether or not some non-free compiler emits DWARF 1 is
db> irrelevant to supporting DWARF 1 in gdb. We don't care about non-free
db> compilers, remember?

In general, I personally care about interoperating with non-free software
whenever it helps gdb build market share.

In this case, I think that gdb would not lose much market share,
and it's useful to kill off a whole symtab reader.

Here is the URL for one guy who has a diab compiler and wanted
to improve gdb dwarf-1 support:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-07/msg00505.html

That's the extent of interest in dwarf-1: two people in the past year
with diab compiler: this guy, and one other that I didn't dig up
the URL for yet.

Michael C

* Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-08 22:42 Günter Knauf
From: Günter Knauf @ 2003-05-08 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi Elena,
> nlm... you mean nlmread.c or nlm/* ?
> google threw up a few things:
> http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/fpcnw/gdbnw.html (seems active, uses 5.3).
> http://www.herdsoft.com/ti/netware/cross/4_Debugging.html
> There is a gdb wrapper program now that translated netware remote
> protocol into gdb remote protocol and vice versa. So they are not
> using NLM gdbserver anymore because that supports older versins of
> netware only.

> elena

please dont do that!! We still need the NLM gdbserver;
a few NetWare developers (including me) started about 4 years ago with
developing NLMs with gcc/nlmconv, and also we use the gdbserver. I know
both of the above mentioned developers and I'm in contact with them;
and if we really dont need the gdbserver anymore we will post here...
but until then please dont drop the NLM support!
thanks, Guenter.

* Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-08 22:52 Ulrich Neumann
From: Ulrich Neumann @ 2003-05-08 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

please do not drop NLM Support. Several people at Novell just
started with GCC as one of the supported development
environments and we're working on getting a lot of GNU
applications like gcc, bash, binutils as well as other nice tools
like gdb... running on NetWare.

It is our plan to give every change and every enhancement
back to you, the community.

I'm sure you will see much more activity around NLM
development with GNU tools in a few months because of the
work we're currently doing.

Thank you

Ulrich Neumann
Novell DeveloperNet SysOp
Worldwide Novell Developer Support

* Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-08 23:14 Günter Knauf
From: Günter Knauf @ 2003-05-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi Andrew,
> Ok, so nlm/ is a candidate (but it isn't hurting anyone, and
I cant believe that you all here are talking about a ./nlm subdir of 86.3kB while the whole gdb source is more than 14MB !! And that all at times where download bandwidth isnt an issue anymore!

> the alternative is written in FreePascal :-).
that's only true for NetWare 5.1 and 6, but with previous versions we still need the gdbserver!

> Andrew

removing 86.3kB isnt worth to talk about! Just my 2 ct.

but if you are searching for the last few bytes for deleting, just take 10,9kB and remove ./nlm/ppc.h and ./nlm/ppc.c because I dont know of any NetWare version which runs on PPC; all versions for which gdbserver is of interest run on i386!

thanks, Guenter.

[parent not found: <E19Duaa-0005kw-00@monty-python.gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <200305082242.h48MgQH06975@mx1.redhat.com>]
* Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-09  8:10 Armin Diehl
From: Armin Diehl @ 2003-05-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Günter Knauf, info, RBATEMAN, U_Neumann

I think the gdbserve is a candidate for deletion. It is only needed for
netware 3.11 and prevents building gdb with netware support. I always
have to remove that dir in the configure targets file.
My gdb2ndi works with netware 4.11 also (load rdebug.nlm). If someone
needs the gdbserve for 3.11, it can be used from older versions of gdb.
(It is only a simple support for the gdb remote protocol)

But please please *do not remove* the netware support from gdb. It is
the only way to debug FreePascal nlm's.
It is further needed for debugging nlms generated by gcc. Bernd Herd has
done a great job in porting gcc with c++ support to netware and it would
be bad if we loose the debugging support as we now have a great
alternative c/c++ compiler for netware.

@ 2003-05-09 15:22 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-05-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, eflash, jkj; +Cc: gdb

The SCO target is i[34567]86-*-sco3.2v5*.

With gcc 2.95.3, this target prefers DWARF 1 or SDB.

With gcc 3.2.2, this target prefers DWARF 2 or SDB.
(see config.gcc and config/i386/sco5.h in the source).

Are there still a lot of SCO users with gcc 2?

If there are, is it reasonable to require them to upgrade to gcc 3
when they upgrade their gdb?

(The proposal is to phase out DWARF 1 only.  DWARF 2 is one of the best,
most current formats).

Michael C

* RE: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?
@ 2003-05-09 15:47 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-05-09 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, eflash, jkj; +Cc: gdb

mec> Are there still a lot of SCO users with gcc 2?
kj> HUGE numbers. It's the currently "officially supported" version
kj> that we give our customers. Until 3.3 we haven't really felt GCC
kj> 3 was ready for primetime. In fact the next "oficially supported"
kj> version will be 3.4.

Okay, that means we have to keep dwarf 1 for another 6-12 months
at least.  Rats.

kj> Aside from that ... just as a general guiding light, a debugger
kj> shouldn't be target to a compiler, that's bad practice. It should
kj> take advantage of features of the compiler if it can but it should
kj> be VERY forgiving of things like debug formats (ie support as many
kj> as it can), calling conventions etc.

It's a resource issue.  As Andrew Cagney has said, it takes work to keep
all the debug format readers current with the symbol table infrastructure,
and gdb has limited resources available.

Michael C