public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB 6 schedule
@ 2003-05-17  0:30 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-17  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Here is a vague GDB 6 schedule:

17-05-2003 - today
14-06-2003 - branch
26-07-2003 - release

That's 4 weeks to branch, and a further 6 weeks to release ....

Andrew

* Re: GDB 6 schedule
@ 2003-05-22 16:03 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

> Here is a vague GDB 6 schedule:
>
> 17-05-2003 - today
> 14-06-2003 - branch
> 26-07-2003 - release
>
> That's 4 weeks to branch, and a further 6 weeks to release ....

Ok, no one has screamed blue murder over this proposal :-)  I've updated:

http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/schedule/

and added stuff to my diary.

Andrew

* Re: GDB 6 schedule
@ 2003-05-22 15:46       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-22 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jafa; +Cc: gdb

> Hi Andrew,
>
> The port consists of a tdep file and a remote back-end over two files (there
> is a lot of code in the remote back-end and two clear levels of
> abstraction).

It possible for the tdep file to just slip into place - the problematic
interfaces have all now largely been clearly identified.  The remote
stuff could get a few red flags - with the architecture vector largely
overhauled the remote stuff could find itself needing core changes.

> The trunk has moved on considerably sinse the last major release and I need
> some of the new features such as reg groups (several hundred registers).
>
> If there is a concern then I would be happy if a tempory branch of the gdb
> directory was created to work on for the next few weeks prior to merging to
> the trunk, however as you say, the worst that can happen is that the ip2k
> port doesn't work.

I think you'll want to always work on the head.  Once the file is mostly
ok, it can be added to the mainline.  The configuration changes can be
added later.

> I would appreciate your help and time to make this work.

Post stuff here and someone should be able to help.

Andrew

* Re: GDB 6 schedule
       [not found]   ` <redirect-6120216@silicondust.com>
@ 2003-05-17 17:05     ` Jafa

From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-17  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jafa; +Cc: gdb

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I have been meaning to re-sync with the trunk and get the ip2k port
> submitted but got distracted.
>
> Any chance we can work to get the ip2k port submitted in time? (I am not
> sure what the general policy is for a quite tiem before the branch)

In the past new architectures have been added to a release branch.  In
all cases though, the change was contained to single -tdep.c file (the
worst it could do was not work).

However, the changes first need to be approved for the mainline.

Andrew

* Re: GDB 6 schedule
       [not found] <redirect-6120207@silicondust.com>
@ 2003-05-17  1:08 ` Jafa
       [not found]   ` <redirect-6120216@silicondust.com>
From: Jafa @ 2003-05-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi Andrew,

I have been meaning to re-sync with the trunk and get the ip2k port
submitted but got distracted.

Any chance we can work to get the ip2k port submitted in time? (I am not
sure what the general policy is for a quite tiem before the branch)

The copyright assignment is in place, I am happy bringing feedback back in
and fixing things, but obviously it takes time for you and/or the other
maintainers to review and that is no small task.

Thanks

Nick