public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* /proc is high-efficient, why not use it?
@ 2003-06-09  7:21 vera0010
From: vera0010 @ 2003-06-09  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello!

I have read gdb-5.3 source. I know it uses primarily on x86/alpha linux platform.

But a debugger can only debug the unique process, not more processes simultaneously.

I think it is more likely because Linux kernel doesn't support /proc interface for gdb.

I want to debug 2~4 processes with a single gdb on SMP Linux.
Can you give me a help?

                                           Wang.

______________________________________

* Re: /proc is high-efficient, why not use it?
@ 2003-06-09 13:19 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-09 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vera0010; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:21:10PM +0800, vera0010 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have read gdb-5.3 source. I know it uses primarily on x86/alpha linux platform.
>
> But a debugger can only debug the unique process, not more processes simultaneously.

That is incorrect.  GDB can debug any number of physical processes at
once.  However, GDB only supports this when they are threads of the
same program.

> I think it is more likely because Linux kernel doesn't support /proc interface for gdb.

The kernel does not support a /proc debugging interface.  That's true,
but not important.

> I want to debug 2~4 processes with a single gdb on SMP Linux.
> Can you give me a help?
>
>                                            Wang.

Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: /proc is high-efficient, why not use it?
@ 2003-06-09 14:18   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-09 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, vera0010; +Cc: gdb

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:21:10PM +0800, vera0010 wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have read gdb-5.3 source. I know it uses primarily on x86/alpha linux platform.
>>
>> But a debugger can only debug the unique process, not more processes simultaneously.
>

> That is incorrect.  GDB can debug any number of physical processes at
> once.  However, GDB only supports this when they are threads of the
> same program.

Getting support for multiple independant processes is on the long term
wish list.

Andrew