public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-13  0:06 Nick Roberts
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-06-13  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

With the imminent release of GDB version 6, I thought I'd point out
that much of the Emacs page of Gdb Manual is out of date or wrong:

M-s should read C-c C-s
M-n should read C-c C-n
M-i should read C-c C-i
There is no gdb-nexti (or even gud-nexti in a released version of Emacs)
M-c should read C-c C-r
M-u should read C-c <
M-d should read C-c >
There are references to Emacs 19 (current version is 21)
C-x & is not defined and the description that follows is no longer
relevant (AFAIK)
`C-x SPC' is gud-break not gdb-break
etc

It could be updated but as the Emacs manual has a relevant section
(Emacs-> Building-> Debuggers) and its interaction with Gdb is evolving,
I suggest that the Gdb manual refers to this section.

I will be happy to rewrite/update this page if anyone wishes.

Nick

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-13 13:36 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-13 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 01:00:59AM +0100, Nick Roberts wrote:

> With the imminent release of GDB version 6, I thought I'd point out
> that much of the Emacs page of Gdb Manual is out of date or wrong:
>
> M-s should read C-c C-s
> M-n should read C-c C-n
> M-i should read C-c C-i
> There is no gdb-nexti (or even gud-nexti in a released version of Emacs)
> M-c should read C-c C-r
> M-u should read C-c <
> M-d should read C-c >
> There are references to Emacs 19 (current version is 21)
> C-x & is not defined and the description that follows is no longer
> relevant (AFAIK)
> `C-x SPC' is gud-break not gdb-break
> etc
>
> It could be updated but as the Emacs manual has a relevant section
> (Emacs-> Building-> Debuggers) and its interaction with Gdb is evolving,
> I suggest that the Gdb manual refers to this section.
>
> I will be happy to rewrite/update this page if anyone wishes.

Referring to the Emacs manual for this information sounds like a good
idea to me...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-13 20:36 ` Jim Blandy
From: Jim Blandy @ 2003-06-13 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: gdb

Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net> writes:

> With the imminent release of GDB version 6, I thought I'd point out
> that much of the Emacs page of Gdb Manual is out of date or wrong:
>
> M-s should read C-c C-s
> M-n should read C-c C-n
> M-i should read C-c C-i
> There is no gdb-nexti (or even gud-nexti in a released version of Emacs)
> M-c should read C-c C-r
> M-u should read C-c <
> M-d should read C-c >
> There are references to Emacs 19 (current version is 21)
> C-x & is not defined and the description that follows is no longer
> relevant (AFAIK)
> `C-x SPC' is gud-break not gdb-break
> etc
>
> It could be updated but as the Emacs manual has a relevant section
> (Emacs-> Building-> Debuggers) and its interaction with Gdb is evolving,
> I suggest that the Gdb manual refers to this section.
>
> I will be happy to rewrite/update this page if anyone wishes.

Yeah, a patch to bring it up to date would be greatly appreciated.

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-14  7:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-14  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:35:09 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
> >
> > It could be updated but as the Emacs manual has a relevant section
> > (Emacs-> Building-> Debuggers) and its interaction with Gdb is evolving,
> > I suggest that the Gdb manual refers to this section.
> >
> > I will be happy to rewrite/update this page if anyone wishes.
>
> Referring to the Emacs manual for this information sounds like a good
> idea to me...

However, there's nothing wrong in having a description of GDB-related
Emacs features in the GDB manual as well.  For example, the Texinfo
manual has a full description of Emacs's Texinfo Mode.

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-15  2:33 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-15  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: gdb

> It could be updated but as the Emacs manual has a relevant section
> (Emacs-> Building-> Debuggers) and its interaction with Gdb is evolving,
> I suggest that the Gdb manual refers to this section.
>
> I will be happy to rewrite/update this page if anyone wishes.

Woulda common section be possible?  Something that both the EMACS and
GDB manuals could share (well, ok GDB would steal from EMACS)?
Something like the readline chapter.

Andrew

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-15  3:37   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-15  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313; +Cc: nick, gdb

> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:29:19 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>
>
> Woulda common section be possible?  Something that both the EMACS and
> GDB manuals could share (well, ok GDB would steal from EMACS)?

I don't know.

However, if the GDB's Emacs section is good enough, chances are the
Emacs manual will omit it altogether, and instead point to the GDB
manual.

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-15 12:36     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-15 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: nick, gdb

>> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:29:19 -0400
>> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>
>>
>> Woulda common section be possible?  Something that both the EMACS and
>> GDB manuals could share (well, ok GDB would steal from EMACS)?
>

> I don't know.
>
> However, if the GDB's Emacs section is good enough, chances are the
> Emacs manual will omit it altogether, and instead point to the GDB
> manual.

I'm guessing, based on nick's post, that EMACS has grown an IDE and the
IDE section is including the basics of GDB from EMACS.

Makes it sound like it should be in both places?

Andrew

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-15 15:52       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-15 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313; +Cc: nick, gdb

> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:36:24 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>
>
> Makes it sound like it should be in both places?

Probably.

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-15 21:28   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-06-15 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

 > > It could be updated but as the Emacs manual has a relevant section
 > > (Emacs-> Building-> Debuggers) and its interaction with Gdb is evolving,
 > > I suggest that the Gdb manual refers to this section.
 > >
 > > I will be happy to rewrite/update this page if anyone wishes.
 >
 > Woulda common section be possible?  Something that both the EMACS and
 > GDB manuals could share (well, ok GDB would steal from EMACS)?
 > Something like the readline chapter.

AFAIK the Emacs manual says nothing about readline. The two manuals address
the subject from opposite directions, so perhaps the emphasis is different.
The Emacs manual goes into more detail than GDB developers might wish. So I
think that, after a brief description, it would be best for the GDB manual to
point to the Emacs manual. This has the added advantage that only one manual
need be updated when Emacs interaction GDB changes.

@ 2003-06-15 21:28       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-06-15 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, gdb

 > > However, if the GDB's Emacs section is good enough, chances are the
 > > Emacs manual will omit it altogether, and instead point to the GDB
 > > manual.

I think the Emacs manual will need to keep its own section because some
the description is generic: gud-next, gud-break etc are commands that apply
to debuggers other than GDB.

 > I'm guessing, based on nick's post, that EMACS has grown an IDE and the
 > IDE section is including the basics of GDB from EMACS.

For the moment, I'm only proposing very conservative changes to the GDB
documentation to reflect the status of the current release of Emacs (21.3).
The changes that I have made to the way Emacs interacts with GDB are still
in CVS so I will not mention them.

@ 2003-06-16  4:06         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-16  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

> From: Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net>
> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:23:14 +0100
>
> The changes that I have made to the way Emacs interacts with GDB are still
> in CVS so I will not mention them.

Perhaps you should mention those changes anyway.  Some GNU/Linux
systems have development versions of Emacs installed on them.

* Re: Emacs section of Gdb Manual
@ 2003-06-16  4:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-16  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

> From: Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net>
> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:14:48 +0100
>
> The Emacs manual goes into more detail than GDB developers might wish. So I
> think that, after a brief description, it would be best for the GDB manual to
> point to the Emacs manual.

IMHO that is okay, as long as the GDB manual describes the basics: how
to invoke GUD, what are its main capabilities, how to invoke the most
important GDB commands, etc.