public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-27 21:11 Steve Folly
From: Steve Folly @ 2005-09-27 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB List

Hi,

I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.

Unfortunately nothing much gets built. Probably because of the bit of
the configure script I found that starts with the comment:

     # Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native.

I'm trying to get a GNU toolset hosted on OS X and targetting Windows
(MinGW). So far, the compiler toolset is working dandy, and having
gdb would top it off just right.

But it looks like I've hit a stumbling block. Does anyone know the
reason for this limitation?

Thanks for any insight.

--
Regards,
Steve.

* Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-27 21:12 ` Steve Folly
From: Steve Folly @ 2005-09-27 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB List

Hi,

I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.

Unfortunately nothing much gets built. Probably because of the bit of
the configure script I found that starts with the comment:

     # Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native.

I'm trying to get a GNU toolset hosted on OS X and targetting Windows
(MinGW). So far, the compiler toolset is working dandy, and having
gdb would top it off just right.

But it looks like I've hit a stumbling block. Does anyone know the
reason for this limitation?

Thanks for any insight.

--
Regards,
Steve.

* Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-27 21:18   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-09-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Folly; +Cc: GDB List

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:12:40PM +0100, Steve Folly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
> target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.

GDB 6.3 doesn't support the mingw32 target.  In fact it doesn't support
mingw32 as a host either.  Later versions will support it as a host but
not target.

> Unfortunately nothing much gets built. Probably because of the bit of
> the configure script I found that starts with the comment:
>
>     # Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native.

This line does not appear in the GDB I'm looking at.  You must be using
someone's mingw32 patches.

> I'm trying to get a GNU toolset hosted on OS X and targetting Windows
> (MinGW). So far, the compiler toolset is working dandy, and having
> gdb would top it off just right.

Note, even if this worked, you'd need a remote debug agent for Windows.
There isn't one finished yet (though I have an unfinished one lying
around somewhere if I can ever find the time).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-27 21:54     ` Steve Folly
From: Steve Folly @ 2005-09-27 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB List

On 27 Sep 2005, at 22:18, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:12:40PM +0100, Steve Folly wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
>> target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.
>>

> GDB 6.3 doesn't support the mingw32 target.  In fact it doesn't
> support
> mingw32 as a host either.  Later versions will support it as a host
> but
> not target.

The configure script in the gdb-6.3.tar.gz I downloaded seems to?

>> Unfortunately nothing much gets built. Probably because of the bit of
>> the configure script I found that starts with the comment:
>>
>>     # Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native.
>>

> This line does not appear in the GDB I'm looking at.  You must be
> using
> someone's mingw32 patches.

Its in http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-6.3.tar.gz - configure - line
1360. I thought this would have been the 'official' unpatched version?

I am confused now - which 6.3 are you looking at that *doesn't*
support mingw32?!

>> I'm trying to get a GNU toolset hosted on OS X and targetting Windows
>> (MinGW). So far, the compiler toolset is working dandy, and having
>> gdb would top it off just right.
>>

> Note, even if this worked, you'd need a remote debug agent for
> Windows.
> There isn't one finished yet (though I have an unfinished one lying
> around somewhere if I can ever find the time).

Where can I find out more information about writing a remote debug
agent for Windows?

Thanks very much for swift reply!

--

@ 2005-09-27 22:26       ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-09-27 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Folly; +Cc: GDB List

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:53:53PM +0100, Steve Folly wrote:
> >On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:12:40PM +0100, Steve Folly wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
> >>target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.
> >>

> >GDB 6.3 doesn't support the mingw32 target.  In fact it doesn't
> >support
> >mingw32 as a host either.  Later versions will support it as a host
> >but
> >not target.
>
> The configure script in the gdb-6.3.tar.gz I downloaded seems to?

No, it has some mingw bits scattered all over, but GDB definitely does
not have support for this target.

> >This line does not appear in the GDB I'm looking at.  You must be
> >using
> >someone's mingw32 patches.
>
> Its in http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-6.3.tar.gz - configure - line
> 1360. I thought this would have been the 'official' unpatched version?
>
> I am confused now - which 6.3 are you looking at that *doesn't*
> support mingw32?!

You're looking at the top level configure script.  I was looking at the
GDB subdirectory's.  So for that part of my comment I apologize; it was
wrong.

> >>I'm trying to get a GNU toolset hosted on OS X and targetting Windows
> >>(MinGW). So far, the compiler toolset is working dandy, and having
> >>gdb would top it off just right.
> >>

> >Note, even if this worked, you'd need a remote debug agent for
> >Windows.
> >There isn't one finished yet (though I have an unfinished one lying
> >around somewhere if I can ever find the time).
> >

> Where can I find out more information about writing a remote debug
> agent for Windows?

Nowhere in particular, but try the list archives for what is involved.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-28 11:52       ` Andrew STUBBS
From: Andrew STUBBS @ 2005-09-28 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Folly; +Cc: GDB List

Steve Folly wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2005, at 22:18, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:12:40PM +0100, Steve Folly wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build gdb 6.3 on host powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0 for
>>> target i386-pc-mingw32msvc.
>>>

>> GDB 6.3 doesn't support the mingw32 target.  In fact it doesn't  support
>> mingw32 as a host either.  Later versions will support it as a host  but
>> not target.
>

> The configure script in the gdb-6.3.tar.gz I downloaded seems to?

The top level configure script may do, but as Daniel says the GDB
sources do not.

Look at www.mingw.org for GDB MinGW patches (GDB 6.3-1 last time I
looked). These will get it to compile for MinGW, but, even if they can
be made to cross compile, Daniel's point about remote debugging still
stands. I can see why you wouldn't want to use Windows as a build
platform, but I suggest that, unless you have a good reason not to, you
debug the programs natively using the native MinGW GDB. You can probably
download a binary from their website along with the rest of MinGW/MSYS.

Alternatively, the GDB in Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) is capable of
debugging MinGW programs. Cygwin also has support for compiling them
with 'gcc -mno-cygwin'. Note that the standard Cygwin install does not
include developer tools, but the installation tool is quite easy to use.

HTH

Andrew

* Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-28 20:08         ` Steve Folly
From: Steve Folly @ 2005-09-28 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB List

On 28 Sep 2005, at 11:37, Andrew STUBBS wrote:

> The top level configure script may do, but as Daniel says the GDB
> sources do not.

I see now. I'm new to configure scripts. :-)

> Look at www.mingw.org for GDB MinGW patches (GDB 6.3-1 last time I
> looked). These will get it to compile for MinGW, but, even if they
> can be made to cross compile, Daniel's point about remote debugging
> still stands. I can see why you wouldn't want to use Windows as a
> build platform, but I suggest that, unless you have a good reason
> not to, you debug the programs natively using the native MinGW GDB.
> You can probably download a binary from their website along with
> the rest of MinGW/MSYS.

Some of our apps run full screen and having a remote machine to debug
on helps quite a bit.

I guess dual-screen capable PCs will help here, but our current
hardware (supplied by our customer) doesn't support that.

> Alternatively, the GDB in Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) is capable of
> debugging MinGW programs. Cygwin also has support for compiling
> them with 'gcc -mno-cygwin'. Note that the standard Cygwin install
> does not include developer tools, but the installation tool is
> quite easy to use.

I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running
on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port
them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks very much for your advice.

--

@ 2005-09-28 21:21           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-09-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Folly; +Cc: gdb

> From: Steve Folly <gdb-list@spfweb.co.uk>
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:07:54 +0100
>
> I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running
> on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port
> them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.

You can find MinGW ports of Grep, Sed, and many others here:

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32

* Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-29  0:41             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-09-29  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, Steve Folly

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:20:58AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Steve Folly
>> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:07:54 +0100
>>
>> I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running
>> on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port
>> them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.
>
>You can find MinGW ports of Grep, Sed, and many others here:
>
>    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32

And, as mentioned, you can find many more ports, and an active community
supporting them, at http://cygwin.com/ .

* Re: Can't build gdb for mingw32 if not native? :-(
@ 2005-09-29  9:01           ` Dave Murphy
From: Dave Murphy @ 2005-09-29  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Folly; +Cc: GDB List

Steve Folly wrote:

> Some of our apps run full screen and having a remote machine to debug
> on helps quite a bit.
>
> I guess dual-screen capable PCs will help here, but our current
> hardware (supplied by our customer) doesn't support that.

I'm nearly sure that remote debugging has been done using mingw tools
although I could be mistaken. It's probably worth asking on the mingw
mailing lists about this.

> I think Cygwin may be the way to go - some makefiles we have running
> on OS X are using utilities like sed and grep, and we'd like to port
> them to Windows with the minimum of fuss.

Msys provides much of what you need for comfortable use of unix style
tools, the basic install definitely includes sed and grep. I build gnu
tools with mingw/msys on a regular basis, including gcc cross compilers.

http://www.mingw.org/

This wiki page also provides some useful information on building a cross
compiler in that environment.

http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/mingw%20hosted%20cross%20compiler

Dave