public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* duplicated html help files
@ 2020-11-02 12:53 Alexander Fedotov
From: Alexander Fedotov @ 2020-11-02 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello guys

I am doing a GDB 9.2 build using MinGW on a linux machine and found that
GDB documentation generates files frame-apply.html and Frame-Apply.html.
The difference is in filename case only.
Whilst this is fine on linux this makes a problem to unpack tarball on
windows.Yes, it is possible to workaround this by corresponding switch to
unpack utility and overwrite file. But this breaks HTML helps I guess...

Alex

* Re: duplicated html help files
@ 2020-11-02 15:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-11-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Fedotov; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 15:53:47 +0300
> From: Alexander Fedotov via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org>
>
> I am doing a GDB 9.2 build using MinGW on a linux machine and found that
> GDB documentation generates files frame-apply.html and Frame-Apply.html.
> The difference is in filename case only.
> Whilst this is fine on linux this makes a problem to unpack tarball on
> windows.Yes, it is possible to workaround this by corresponding switch to
> unpack utility and overwrite file. But this breaks HTML helps I guess...

I believe you are talking about building the HTML version of the GDB
manual.  If so, please report this problem to the Texinfo developers
(bug-texinfo@gnu.org), since GDB just uses the Texinfo tools to
produce the docs.  It's a Texinfo problem that it creates such
file-name clashes on case-insensitive filesystems.

* Re: duplicated html help files
@ 2020-11-02 19:13 ` Andrew Burgess
From: Andrew Burgess @ 2020-11-02 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Fedotov; +Cc: gdb

* Alexander Fedotov via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> [2020-11-02 15:53:47 +0300]:

> Hello guys
>
> I am doing a GDB 9.2 build using MinGW on a linux machine and found that
> GDB documentation generates files frame-apply.html and Frame-Apply.html.
> The difference is in filename case only.
> Whilst this is fine on linux this makes a problem to unpack tarball on
> windows.Yes, it is possible to workaround this by corresponding switch to
> unpack utility and overwrite file. But this breaks HTML helps I guess...

This issue has been fixed in later versions of GDB with this commit:

  commit ed788fee02b844266283a5faa66ba64c5b4739ea
  Date:   Mon Jul 13 12:31:05 2020 -0700

      Fix frame-apply.html collision in GDB manual.

Maybe you could cherry-pick this into your 9.2 build.  Or just build a
more recent version of GDB?

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: duplicated html help files
@ 2020-11-03 15:49   ` Alexander Fedotov
From: Alexander Fedotov @ 2020-11-03 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Burgess; +Cc: gdb

Thank you Andrew. This patch solves the problem indeed.

Best regards,
Alex