public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: Dose GDB support Fortran Cods?
@ 2005-08-08  2:25 Wu Zhou
From: Wu Zhou @ 2005-08-08  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dinght; +Cc: bug-gdb, gdb, fortran

> command line,I use "gdb test",then I enter "list",but screen displays:
>
>     1       ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S: No such file or directory.
>         in ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S

This is a bug in GDB, we ever discussed a similar problem in:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2005-07/msg00228.html.

BTW: there will be more chance you gdb/fortran problems get answered if
you ask in gdb@sources.redhat.com or fortran@gcc.gnu.org. It seems that
few people read bug-gdb@. :-)

>      GDB in my computer was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu",it
> is GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh).
>
>     In the manual page it is said GDB does support Fortran code,but I
> don't know why it doesn't work here.

Yes.  GDB does support Fortran.  You can simply ignore the above problem,
and go on with the debugging of your program.  For example, you can set
breakpoints at MAIN__, or any other function or lines, you can start the
process by "run" command, and so on...

Regards
- Wu Zhou

* Re: Dose GDB support Fortran Cods?
@ 2005-08-08  2:40 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2005-08-08  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wu Zhou; +Cc: dinght, fortran, bug-gdb, gdb

On Aug 7, 2005, at 10:06 PM, Wu Zhou wrote:

>> command line,I use "gdb test",then I enter "list",but screen displays:
>>
>>     1       ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S: No such file or directory.
>>         in ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S
>
> This is a bug in GDB, we ever discussed a similar problem in:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2005-07/msg00228.html.
>
> BTW: there will be more chance you gdb/fortran problems get answered if
> you ask in gdb@sources.redhat.com or fortran@gcc.gnu.org. It seems that
> few people read bug-gdb@. :-)

Actually it is really a bug in GCC for not emitting DW_AT_entry_point
(dwarf-2) or N_MAIN (stabs), see PR 23280 which I just filed.  (I
thought
there was already a bug filed but I could only find one for GCJ/java).

-- Pinskis

* Re: Dose GDB support Fortran Cods?
@ 2005-08-08  5:29   ` Wu Zhou
From: Wu Zhou @ 2005-08-08  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: dinght, fortran, bug-gdb, gdb

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2005, at 10:06 PM, Wu Zhou wrote:
>

> > > command line,I use "gdb test",then I enter "list",but screen displays:
> > >
> > >     1       ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S: No such file or directory.
> > >         in ../sysdeps/i386/elf/start.S
> >
> > This is a bug in GDB, we ever discussed a similar problem in:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2005-07/msg00228.html.
> >
> > BTW: there will be more chance you gdb/fortran problems get answered if
> > you ask in gdb@sources.redhat.com or fortran@gcc.gnu.org. It seems that
> > few people read bug-gdb@. :-)
>
> Actually it is really a bug in GCC for not emitting DW_AT_entry_point
> (dwarf-2) or N_MAIN (stabs), see PR 23280 which I just filed.  (I thought
> there was already a bug filed but I could only find one for GCJ/java).

OK.  I am not that sure about how gdb handle that.  Daniel ever told me
that we can fix this in gdb's side by setting the main function to
"MAIN__" for Fortran programs.

It seems to me that emitting DW_AT_entry_point in gcc's side is a better
idea.  But I am not sure whether gdb could handle it.  When gcc do emit
DW_AT_entry_point, I will verify that.  I had added myself into the
cc-list.

Regards
- Wu Zhou