public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Do we still support DICOS?
@ 2020-09-22 19:01 Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2020-09-22 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Pedro Alves

Hi,

In the middle of discussing the usefulness of tracepoints/fast
tracepoints (which should be left for another thread potentially), do we
still care about DICOS?

I see the files are still in the tree, along with sprinkled references
here and there. Should we just declare that dead and have the code
cleaned up?

Regards,
Luis

* Re: Do we still support DICOS?
@ 2020-09-29 12:16 ` Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2020-09-29 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Machado, gdb

On 9/22/20 8:01 PM, Luis Machado via Gdb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the middle of discussing the usefulness of tracepoints/fast tracepoints (which should be left for another thread potentially), do we still care about DICOS?

Probably not.  I never heard anything again about DICOS ever since the
original port work 12 years ago or some such.  I was under the impression
that Ericsson stopped caring about it not long after.  I'd be surprised if
the port isn't bit rotten by now.

But note that DICOS had nothing to do with tracepoints.

> I see the files are still in the tree, along with sprinkled references here and there. Should we just declare that dead and have the code cleaned up?

No objections from me.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves

* Re: Do we still support DICOS?
@ 2020-12-11 14:25 ` Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2020-12-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: László Benedek, gdb, Simon Marchi

Hi,

On 12/11/20 6:34 AM, László Benedek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am an Ericsson engineer working on a product that is the next version
> in the evolution of Dicos. This GDB support is still actively used in
> our products in Ericsson.
> If it is possible please do not remove it from GDB.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Laszlo Benedek
> Ericsson
>
> p.s.: I am not a subscriber on the gdb mail list, I was notified about
> this discussion. If you'd like to answer please cc me directly.

Thanks for the update.

It would be nice to have someone step up and be a maintainer of the
"port" then, otherwise I think this question will be raised again in a
couple years.

If we have a name we can get in touch with, it makes it easier for us to
verify the status of the code and prevent unwanted removals.

* Re: Do we still support DICOS?
@ 2020-12-11 14:25 ` Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2020-12-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: László Benedek, gdb, Simon Marchi

@ 2020-12-11 14:18 ` Simon Marchi
From: Simon Marchi @ 2020-12-11 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: László Benedek, gdb, luis.machado

On 2020-12-11 4:34 a.m., László Benedek via Gdb wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am an Ericsson engineer working on a product that is the next version in the evolution of Dicos. This GDB support is still actively used in our products in Ericsson.
> If it is possible please do not remove it from GDB.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Laszlo Benedek
> Ericsson
>
> p.s.: I am not a subscriber on the gdb mail list, I was notified about this discussion. If you'd like to answer please cc me directly.

Ok, thanks for the notice, that helps us know that it is still relevant.

There hasn't been any contribution related to Dicos in a while, so we weren't sure.  If
you stumble on any problem, don't hesitate to try to contribute fixes upstream, that way
we know that the platform is being used (and you don't have to maintain patches on the
side).

For others, here's the original thread:

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb/2020-September/048925.html

Simon