public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Missing memory mappings
@ 2024-02-20 12:27 Roger Phillips
From: Roger Phillips @ 2024-02-20 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Greetings,

I'm doing post-mortem coredump analysis for multithreaded C++ applications on x64 Linux. Occasionally I get coredumps where some threads (not the crashing thread) has instruction pointers that look valid but cannot be matched to a memory region provided by info proc mappings. So my assumption is that these libs have been unloaded between the signal and the creation of the coredump and I wonder in which library load scenarios this could happen.

This might not be a gdb problem but a coredump problem but I don't know where else to find the expertise.

Regards.

* Re: Missing memory mappings
@ 2024-02-28 12:37 ` Martin Simmons
From: Martin Simmons @ 2024-02-28 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Phillips; +Cc: gdb

> I'm doing post-mortem coredump analysis for multithreaded C++
> applications on x64 Linux. Occasionally I get coredumps where some
> threads (not the crashing thread) has instruction pointers that look
> valid but cannot be matched to a memory region provided by info proc
> mappings. So my assumption is that these libs have been unloaded
> between the signal and the creation of the coredump and I wonder in
> which library load scenarios this could happen.

Maybe the vdso section, which is not dumped?

> This might not be a gdb problem but a coredump problem but I don't
> know where else to find the expertise.

You could see what 'objdump -x' says about the coredump's sections.

__Martin