public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Status of GDB buildbots
@ 2020-07-21 14:24 Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2020-07-21 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Sergio Durigan Junior

It seems regular scheduled runs of the GDB buildbots stopped about a
month ago.  AFAICS all runs since (which are only a few) are for the
racy and try_ssh schedulers only, nothing for master.

I've initially observed this on the Solaris buildbots, but the others
seem to be equally affected.  For the Solaris bots, there are regular
keepalive messages in twistd.log, but nothing else.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University

* Re: Status of GDB buildbots
@ 2020-08-25 10:45 ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2020-08-25 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Sergio Durigan Junior

Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:

> It seems regular scheduled runs of the GDB buildbots stopped about a
> month ago.  AFAICS all runs since (which are only a few) are for the
> racy and try_ssh schedulers only, nothing for master.
>
> I've initially observed this on the Solaris buildbots, but the others
> seem to be equally affected.  For the Solaris bots, there are regular
> keepalive messages in twistd.log, but nothing else.

I've never received a reply on this one and now found that Sergio has
left RedHat.  Given that the buildbots have been mostly idle for a month
or two: is there anyone to look into this?

Thanks.
        Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University

* Request for help with the Buildbot [was: Re: Status of GDB buildbots]
@ 2020-08-25 14:47   ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2020-08-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: gdb

On Tuesday, August 25 2020, Rainer Orth wrote:

> Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:
>
>> It seems regular scheduled runs of the GDB buildbots stopped about a
>> month ago.  AFAICS all runs since (which are only a few) are for the
>> racy and try_ssh schedulers only, nothing for master.
>>
>> I've initially observed this on the Solaris buildbots, but the others
>> seem to be equally affected.  For the Solaris bots, there are regular
>> keepalive messages in twistd.log, but nothing else.
>
> I've never received a reply on this one and now found that Sergio has
> left RedHat.  Given that the buildbots have been mostly idle for a month
> or two: is there anyone to look into this?

Hi Rainer,

Sorry about the disappearance; indeed I'm not at RH anymore, and
although I'm trying to follow gdb-patches, I'm not subscribed to gdb@
anymore, which means I completely missed your message :-/.

Anyway, I was not aware of this problem with our buildbot.  I thought
I'd be able to maintain it while doing my other job, but as it turns out
it's just too much.  So I'm hijacking this thread and turning it into a
request for help with our Buildbot.

I don't know how much value the Buildbot still brings to the community.
I know a few people were relying heavily on it because of the try build
feature, but I'm not sure if they still use it.  That's something for
the community to discuss, I think.

Anyway, if you're a GDB contributor and are interested in helping
maintaing the Buildbot infra, please get in touch with me and we will
figure something out.

Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36
https://sergiodj.net/

* Re: Request for help with the Buildbot [was: Re: Status of GDB buildbots]
@ 2020-08-27 19:31     ` Luis Machado
From: Luis Machado @ 2020-08-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Durigan Junior, Rainer Orth; +Cc: gdb

Hi,

On 8/25/20 11:47 AM, Sergio Durigan Junior via Gdb wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 25 2020, Rainer Orth wrote:
>
>> Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:
>>
>>> It seems regular scheduled runs of the GDB buildbots stopped about a
>>> month ago.  AFAICS all runs since (which are only a few) are for the
>>> racy and try_ssh schedulers only, nothing for master.
>>>
>>> I've initially observed this on the Solaris buildbots, but the others
>>> seem to be equally affected.  For the Solaris bots, there are regular
>>> keepalive messages in twistd.log, but nothing else.
>>
>> I've never received a reply on this one and now found that Sergio has
>> left RedHat.  Given that the buildbots have been mostly idle for a month
>> or two: is there anyone to look into this?
>
> Hi Rainer,
>
> Sorry about the disappearance; indeed I'm not at RH anymore, and
> although I'm trying to follow gdb-patches, I'm not subscribed to gdb@
> anymore, which means I completely missed your message :-/.

Is this something RH will pick up or is it a best-effort personal
contribution of yours?

> Anyway, I was not aware of this problem with our buildbot.  I thought
> I'd be able to maintain it while doing my other job, but as it turns out
> it's just too much.  So I'm hijacking this thread and turning it into a
> request for help with our Buildbot.
>
> I don't know how much value the Buildbot still brings to the community.
> I know a few people were relying heavily on it because of the try build
> feature, but I'm not sure if they still use it.  That's something for
> the community to discuss, I think.

I can state it brings pretty good value to arm-linux/aarch64-linux
testing. I've been noticing an influx of regressions from pushed patches
that have not been properly exercised on aarch64-linux, which is
unfortunate.

Ideally we'd have a CI loop integrated with some patch reviewing system
(gerrit was great in this regard), but the buildbot is already a great
improvement over not having anything.

* Re: Request for help with the Buildbot [was: Re: Status of GDB buildbots]
@ 2020-08-27 19:36       ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2020-08-27 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Machado; +Cc: Rainer Orth, gdb

On Thursday, August 27 2020, Luis Machado wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/25/20 11:47 AM, Sergio Durigan Junior via Gdb wrote:

>>> I've never received a reply on this one and now found that Sergio has
>>> left RedHat.  Given that the buildbots have been mostly idle for a month
>>> or two: is there anyone to look into this?
>>
>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> Sorry about the disappearance; indeed I'm not at RH anymore, and
>> although I'm trying to follow gdb-patches, I'm not subscribed to gdb@
>> anymore, which means I completely missed your message :-/.
>
> Is this something RH will pick up or is it a best-effort personal
> contribution of yours?

It was part of my duties, but I don't know if RH will be able to
allocate someone else to maintain the service.

>> Anyway, I was not aware of this problem with our buildbot.  I thought
>> I'd be able to maintain it while doing my other job, but as it turns out
>> it's just too much.  So I'm hijacking this thread and turning it into a
>> request for help with our Buildbot.
>>
>> I don't know how much value the Buildbot still brings to the community.
>> I know a few people were relying heavily on it because of the try build
>> feature, but I'm not sure if they still use it.  That's something for
>> the community to discuss, I think.
>
> I can state it brings pretty good value to arm-linux/aarch64-linux
> testing. I've been noticing an influx of regressions from pushed
> patches that have not been properly exercised on aarch64-linux, which
> is unfortunate.
>
> Ideally we'd have a CI loop integrated with some patch reviewing
> system (gerrit was great in this regard), but the buildbot is already
> a great improvement over not having anything.

Right, I agree.  And I really wish I had more time to maintain it, but,
at least for now, I don't.  I still intend to be involved in the
Buildbot effort, and will help whoever wants to co-maintain it with me,
of course.