* Gnats on localhost
@ 2004-01-30 13:40 Aidan Delaney
From: Aidan Delaney @ 2004-01-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Hey,
	I'm trying to set gnats up on my localhost as a system for one
user (I like to track my own bugs).  However I don't want to set up a
mail server.
	From the documentation I think the tools send-pr etc... will
communicate directly with gnatsd, alliveating my need for a mail
server.  However, I am unable to get this working.  Here is my error

balor@navi ~ $ sudo /usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd -d tpa
422 GNATS initialization of database failed: You are not permitted to
access database tpa.

(I have no database default)

Could someone please confirm for me that I can run Gnats without a
mailserver and possibly give me some insight into my problem.  Please
reply off list as I am not subscribed.

--
Thank you,
Aidan Delaney.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: Gnats on localhost
@ 2004-01-30 19:07 ` Mel Hatzis
From: Mel Hatzis @ 2004-01-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adelaney; +Cc: help-gnats

Hi Aidan, ...

On 01/30/2004 05:37 AM, Aidan Delaney submitted:
> Hey,
>     I'm trying to set gnats up on my localhost as a system for one  user
> (I like to track my own bugs).  However I don't want to set up a  mail
> server.
>     From the documentation I think the tools send-pr etc... will
> communicate directly with gnatsd, alliveating my need for a mail
> server.  However, I am unable to get this working.  Here is my error
>
> balor@navi ~ $ sudo /usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd -d tpa
> 422 GNATS initialization of database failed: You are not permitted to
> access database tpa.
>
> (I have no database default)

Before delving into this in detail, you may want to confirm that
the 'tpa' directory along with the gnats-adm subdirectory and all
the files in it, are readable by the user with which gnatsd is
running....in your case 'root'.

If your 'tpa' directory resides on an NFS mount, the 'root' user
on your system may not have permission to read it.

> Could someone please confirm for me that I can run Gnats without a
> mailserver and possibly give me some insight into my problem.  Please
> reply off list as I am not subscribed.

The gnats server sends email associated with various PR activity.
A quick way to disable this is to edit the 'mail-agent'
script in the <installdir>/libexec/gnats directory, and replace
the line 'exec $MAIL_AGENT $@ > /dev/null' with something benign,
such as 'exec /bin/sh -c 'umask 0; cat > /dev/null'.

--
Mel Hatzis

> --
> Thank you,