* RE: GNATS help needed
@ 2003-10-16 17:17 Micone, Andrew (Manpower Contract)
From: Micone, Andrew (Manpower Contract) @ 2003-10-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leu, Fa. PostDirekt MA, help-gnats

I can't say what you could do to recover, but I can give you some localization advice. As far as I understand it, and I've had good success with customizing GNATS, it only supports basic ASCII in its data files and doesn't have any localization support. That doesn't mean you couldn't localize it, I've localized worse (i.e. printer firmware). If you were going to localize it, a generic localization approach would be:

A) Use the field names as keys to a string resource database and map them to localized string displays in the user-interface. So don't change "Closed-Date" to something else, leave it as-is and then map it to its german string through a lookup table and some additional user-interface code.

B) You would need to check over the I/O and indexing routines to make sure they can support the character set you are using. You could do this in increasingly levels of complexity by either  kludging your character set into ASCII with escape codes, programming support for eight-bit character sets (I think most european languages can be handled in eight bits), or go all out and change it so that it supports unicode strings opaquely. GNATS expects mail-like messages. If you look at how file attachments are handled, they are converted into something that looks like uuencoded ASCII. You would need to do something similair with foreign character sets, especially if you wanted to do it right by using Unicode.

Anyway, not having explored the code in too much depth, that's my $0.02 USD.

Andy Micone
Performance Engineer / Process Lead
Performance R&D
(208) 396-4228 andrew.micone@hp.com