public inbox for gnu-gabi@sourceware.org
From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>
To: hegdesmailbox@gmail.com, Roland McGrath <roland@hack.frob.com>,
	"H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com>
Cc: gnu-gabi@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: OSABI on Linux Distros
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 00:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 06/13/2016 11:57 AM, Suprateeka R Hegde wrote:
> It depends on what you are considering here. You considered only
> dynamic linker. I consider even non-GNU tools that reads ELF. When
> such a tool encounters SYSV as the ABI, it cannot do much. However,
> if the tool can see that the ELF has GNU extensions, then it can do
> better job of dumping GNU specific ELF details.
>
> My actual question is what is the harm if we mark GNU ABI for *any*
> GNU extension and not restrict it to a partial list.

That's a much better question, but still doesn't yet get at the crux
of your argument.

It might be said that it should be possible to identify the OS from
the OSABI value in order to aid in the processing of PT_LOOS to
PT_HIOS entries (GNU_EH_FRAME, GNU_STACK, GNU_RELRO)?

Is that what you are thinking?

I expect that entries between PT_LOOS to PT_HIOS are allowed to
overlap between OSs?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.