* Licensing question
@ 2009-06-13 18:40 Rhys Ulerich
From: Rhys Ulerich @ 2009-06-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi all,

I've got a licensing question.  An individual has some nice routines
that I believe fill gaps in the GSL integration functionality.  These
routines are LGPL.  Is it possible for the individual to make a
GPL/LGPL one-off release that could be pulled into GSL without
"screwing up" the LGPL licensing he currently uses?  Specifically,
could he continue to update and release his own routine modifications
under only the LGPL?

- Rhys

* Re: Licensing question
@ 2009-06-15 10:30 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2009-06-15 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rhys Ulerich; +Cc: gsl-discuss

At Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:39:33 -0500,
Rhys Ulerich wrote:
> I've got a licensing question.  An individual has some nice routines
> that I believe fill gaps in the GSL integration functionality.
> These routines are LGPL.  Is it possible for the individual to make
> a GPL/LGPL one-off release that could be pulled into GSL without
> "screwing up" the LGPL licensing he currently uses?

As I understand it, this wouldn't be needed - it is not necessary to
make a separate release.  Any code under the LGPL can always be used
under the GPL by anyone, there are clauses in the LGPL which
explicitly allow this.

I'm assuming we are talking about version 3 of the GPL here, or
version 2 with the "any later version" permission.

> Specifically, could he continue to update and release his own
> routine modifications under only the LGPL?

Yes, I wouldn't see that being a problem.

--
Brian Gough

* Re: Licensing question
@ 2009-06-15 14:53   ` Rhys Ulerich
From: Rhys Ulerich @ 2009-06-15 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Gough; +Cc: gsl-discuss

> As I understand it, this wouldn't be needed - it is not necessary to
> make a separate release.  Any code under the LGPL can always be used
> under the GPL by anyone, there are clauses in the LGPL which
> explicitly allow this.

Ahh... LGPL item 2b.  Never saw that clause before.

> I'm assuming we are talking about version 3 of the GPL here...

Yes, this code is under LGPL version 3.

Thank you very much for the help,
Rhys

* Re: Licensing question...
@ 2000-06-08 11:59 ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-06-08 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

    Tom> It seems by my reading, that your product would also have to
    Tom> be released under the GPL.  And I wish we could get the GSL
    Tom> license changed to the LGPL!.

You might want to look at the list archives: this question has arisen
before, and I think it has been answered well.

* Re: Licensing question...
@ 2000-06-06 11:59 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2000-06-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herman Bruyninckx; +Cc: gsl-discuss

In short, the LGPL is not compatible with the GPL.

The GPL is the intended license for programs or libraries that use
GSL.  For motivation see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

Maybe your library can use the GPL too.

Herman Bruyninckx writes:

 > I am planning to do some open source programming, in which I want to use
 > GSL. My questions is this: since GSL is released under the GPL (and not the
 > LGPL), does this mean that I _have_ to release my code also under GPL, or
 > can it be LGPL? (Or some other Open Source license?)
 > (My work will be a library, which uses GSL routines, but is not an
 > extension (`derived work') of GSL itself.)
 >
 > --
 > Herman.Bruyninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be (Ph.D.)    Fax: +32-(0)16-32 29 87
 > Dept. Mechanical Eng., Div. PMA, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

* Re: Licensing question...
@ 2000-06-06  9:26 Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2000-06-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herman Bruyninckx, gsl-discuss

It seems by my reading, that your product would also have to be released under the GPL.

And I wish we could get the GSL license changed to the LGPL!.

Tom Browder

>I am planning to do some open source programming, in which I want to use
>GSL. My questions is this: since GSL is released under the GPL (and not the
>LGPL), does this mean that I _have_ to release my code also under GPL, or
>can it be LGPL? (Or some other Open Source license?)
>(My work will be a library, which uses GSL routines, but is not an
>extension (`derived work') of GSL itself.)
>
>--
>Herman.Bruyninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be (Ph.D.)    Fax: +32-(0)16-32 29 87
>Dept. Mechanical Eng., Div. PMA, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

* Licensing question...
@ 2000-06-05 13:20 Herman Bruyninckx