public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* Re: gtk tutorial: missing?
@ 2000-01-18  7:09 Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 2000-01-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hi Corey, et al!

The serious demise of the entire NISS system, possibly related to
hacking efforts aimed at my laptop [:-/] has indeed meant that
everything on that web server is unavailable.

For now at least the tutorial examples are available at:
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~jas/misc/gg-tutorial.tar.gz

I am still working on them - there are a few more to go.  The PROGRESS
file indicates how things are going.  Please provide comments, bug fixes
and updates.  This project is heavy going.

Alex Stark.
PLEASE USE jas@eng.cam.ac.uk for obvious reasons.

* Gtk tutorial examples
@ 2000-01-18 13:40 ` Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 2000-01-18 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Stark, guile-gtk

Hi,

I have finished attempting to convert the examples which come with the
Gtk+ tutorial into guile-gtk.   These are available at:

> http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~jas/misc/gg-tutorial.tar.gz

Although there are many missing features, I think that they are useful.
A number of the examples would work with a few extensions here and
there, as listed in the file `PROGRESS'.   I had major problems with
selections and pixmaps, and the almost total lack of documentation was a
big pain. [:-)]  Otherwise there were just a number of small but
annoying misfeatures or bugs.

While I don't have plans to update the examples, suggestions and
improvements would be welcome if they are in the form of modified code.
Note that I have tried to use reasonable Scheme paradigms but kept
fairly closely to the ordering in the original C examples.  There are
many obvious places in which modest reordering would clean things up
considerably, but it seems most useful in the first instance to have
versions which can be compared directly.

[I was working with a Nov 99 CVS checkout for most of the examples;
things have probably improved since.]

[Oh, I also started an automatic cataloguing script which generates
human-readable versions of the defs files.  This might prove useful in
its own right.]

Alex.

* Re: Gtk tutorial examples
@ 2000-01-20 21:03   ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2000-01-20 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Stark; +Cc: guile-gtk

Alex Stark <jas@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I have finished attempting to convert the examples which come with the
> Gtk+ tutorial into guile-gtk.

Great!

> Although there are many missing features, I think that they are
> useful.  A number of the examples would work with a few extensions
> here and there, as listed in the file `PROGRESS'.

I think it would be a good thing for us to use this PROGRESS file as
kind of guidance what to do next.  SO if anyone wants to contribute...

> I had major problems with selections and pixmaps,

I don't know about selections but pixmaps should be doable without
much dirty work.  We can just use GdkWindow wherever Gdk uses
GdkPixmap or GdkBitmap.

> and the almost total lack of documentation was a big pain. [:-)]

What did you miss specifically?  I'm curious with what people have
problems.

Anyway, I'm very impressed by the work you have been doing.

- Marius

* Re: Gtk tutorial examples
@ 2000-01-21  3:51     ` Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 2000-01-21  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Vollmer, guile-gtk

Marius Vollmer wrote:

> I think it would be a good thing for us to use this PROGRESS file as
> kind of guidance what to do next.  SO if anyone wants to contribute...
>
> > I had major problems with selections and pixmaps,
>
> I don't know about selections but pixmaps should be doable without
> much dirty work.  We can just use GdkWindow wherever Gdk uses
> GdkPixmap or GdkBitmap.
>
> > and the almost total lack of documentation was a big pain. [:-)]
>
> What did you miss specifically?  I'm curious with what people have
> problems.

I've expanded the explanatory files a bit.  (And I'll leave these alone
for now.)  If you want me to send the PROGRESS file to this list, send
an email to my address.

The files TRANSLATION and PROGRESS include notes on issues and problems
I encountered when translating the examples.  The TRANSLATION file has a
few notes on how and how not to do callbacks.  If these are wrong, tell
me.  I'd be happy to add explanatory notes anyone supplies.

PROGRESS contains three things: a list of specific problems encountered
with each example; a list of general issues; and a progress indicator
for each example.  In many cases there are very small outstanding
problems preventing the completion of an example.  It would be very
helpful if, when something in guile-gtk is fixed, a fix to the example
could also be passed on.

The list of general issues also serves as a list of things I found hard
to understand from the documentation.  To be honest, we really need a
central place for notes and tips.  The current documentation is cryptic
and limited.  If it weren't for the fact that 90% of the translation is
very easy, I wouldn't have got anywhere.  (In fact, the tar file
contains some sed filtering that does 60%. :-) )

None of these files (README, TRANSLATION, PROGRESS) should be taken as
at all definitive, but rather initial sketches.

Alex.

* Re: Gtk Tutorial examples
@ 1999-12-09 17:53     ` ariel
From: ariel @ 1999-12-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stark; +Cc: guile-gtk

   Sender: guile-gtk-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:44:12 -0500
   From: Alex Stark <stark@niss.org>

   ariel@erin.cem.itesm.mx wrote:

>>   I will try to get a complete set of examples matching the C gtk tutorial

>>   by the end of Jan.  (If there is something equivalent to this, let me

>>   know.)

Ok. Let's do the following. Work on the examples and I'll work on the text of
the tutorial and make revisions of your code.

Ariel

* Re: Gtk Tutorial examples
@ 1999-12-09 14:43   ` Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 1999-12-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ariel; +Cc: guile-gtk

ariel@erin.cem.itesm.mx wrote:

> I was writting the tutorial. However i had postponed it due to lack of time.
> Maybe you can help to finish what I started.

I will try to get a complete set of examples matching the C gtk tutorial
by the end of Jan.  (If there is something equivalent to this, let me
know.)

There are some clear advantages to using the C examples, in particular
(1) the ability to compare with C and between different guile styles;
(2) a newbie like me doesn't have to think up examples; and (3) a sed
script does most of the work [not entirely joking].

(The sed script is with the bundle now.)

This could fit into a tutorial: it may well be that translating the gtk
tutorial for C is not the best approach, even using the same examples.

Alex.

* Re: Gtk Tutorial examples
@ 1999-12-09 13:43 ` ariel
From: ariel @ 1999-12-09 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stark; +Cc: guile-gtk

I was writting the tutorial. However i had postponed it due to lack of time.
Maybe you can help to finish what I started.

Ariel

* Gtk Tutorial examples
@ 1999-12-09 11:57 Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 1999-12-09 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hello,

In the absence of a tutorial or reference documentation, I started to
write versions of the programs in the Gtk Tutorial.

* This is a really quick and easy project.

* http://www.niss.org/~stark/software/gg-tutorial.tar.gz contains the
first few examples

* If something similar is underway, let me know!

* I think it best to create a direct translation of each and then more
Schemeish versions. Comparison with the C code is useful to a C person
with no Gtk knowledge.

* Please point out errors - I don't know Scheme very well.

* Contributions / suggestions welcome. (This is currently unofficial.)

Alex Stark.