public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* New guile-gtk
@ 2000-05-23  6:49 Ariel Rios
From: Ariel Rios @ 2000-05-23  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Vollmer; +Cc: guile-gtk

Marius,
I had also been thinking to have a new guile-gtk version soon.
I propose to release 0.18 on Friday so we can have time to update
homepages, mirros and documentation. Also I want to have another
gnome-guile release to sync with new guile-gtk and to include the new GtkHTML
API changes.

Ariel

* Re: New guile-gtk
@ 2000-05-24 12:40 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2000-05-24 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ariel Rios; +Cc: guile-gtk

Ariel Rios <jarios@usa.net> writes:

> I had also been thinking to have a new guile-gtk version soon.
> I propose to release 0.18 on Friday so we can have time to update
> homepages, mirros and documentation. Also I want to have another
> gnome-guile release to sync with new guile-gtk and to include the new GtkHTML
> API changes.

Ok!  We should make sure that guile-gtk-0.18 works with guile-1.3.4
and the latest CVS version, however.  I'll test this, but it can't
hurt, if you test it too. ;)

* Re: New guile-gtk
@ 2000-05-24 14:06   ` Stephen Tell
From: Stephen Tell @ 2000-05-24 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Vollmer; +Cc: Ariel Rios, guile-gtk

On 24 May 2000, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Ariel Rios <jarios@usa.net> writes:

> Ok!  We should make sure that guile-gtk-0.18 works with guile-1.3.4
> and the latest CVS version, however.  I'll test this, but it can't
> hurt, if you test it too. ;)

OK, I've just tried the CVS guile-gtk on SunOS 5.7 with gtk 1.2.3 and
guile 1.3.4.

It configures and builds OK.  But when running, how can I be sure that I'm
testing all of the new libraries and *.scm files when I've still got an
older guile-gtk installed in /usr/local?  (It is in production use, so I'd
rather not delete or overwrite it until I've tested 0.18)

Would it be possible to add to guile-gtk.c a procedure or symbol
guile-gtk-version that returns "0.18" (or whatever VERSION is defined to) ?

thanks!
Steve

--
Steve Tell | tell@cs.unc.edu | http://www.cs.unc.edu/~tell | KF4ZPF
On Leave from UNC working at Chip2Chip, Inc.  tell@chip2chip.com/919-929-0991

* Re: New guile-gtk
@ 2000-05-24 16:02     ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2000-05-24 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Tell; +Cc: guile-gtk

Stephen Tell <tell@cs.unc.edu> writes:

> OK, I've just tried the CVS guile-gtk on SunOS 5.7 with gtk 1.2.3 and
> guile 1.3.4.

Thanks!

> It configures and builds OK.  But when running, how can I be sure that I'm
> testing all of the new libraries and *.scm files when I've still got an
> older guile-gtk installed in /usr/local?

Hmm, you should install it in some other place and make sure
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and GUILE_LOAD_PATH point to it in the right way.  For
example, when you have installed it in /tmp/018, you would need these
settings:

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /tmp/018/lib
    GUILE_LOAD_PATH = /tmp/018/share/guile

However, I'm not too sure about this.  I don't know how you can check
what libraries a process is using on SunOS.  On Linux, you would look
in /proc/<pid>/maps.

> Would it be possible to add to guile-gtk.c a procedure or symbol
> guile-gtk-version that returns "0.18" (or whatever VERSION is
> defined to) ?

There will be such a thing in 0.18 (it already is in CVS). You can do

    (use-modules (gtk config))

    (if (string=? gtkconf-guile-gtk-version "0.18")
        ...)

- Marius

* Re: New guile-gtk
@ 2000-05-25 10:24       ` Stephen Tell
From: Stephen Tell @ 2000-05-25 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Vollmer; +Cc: guile-gtk

On 25 May 2000, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Hmm, you should install it in some other place and make sure
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH and GUILE_LOAD_PATH point to it in the right way.  For
> example, when you have installed it in /tmp/018, you would need these
> settings:
>
>     LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /tmp/018/lib
>     GUILE_LOAD_PATH = /tmp/018/share/guile
>
> However, I'm not too sure about this.  I don't know how you can check
> what libraries a process is using on SunOS.  On Linux, you would look
> in /proc/<pid>/maps.

After doing this, I can confirm that things work on Solaris (SunOS 5.7);
the "ldd" commands shows what libraries a binary will use, same as on
Linux.

> There will be such a thing in 0.18 (it already is in CVS). You can do
>
>     (use-modules (gtk config))
>
>     (if (string=? gtkconf-guile-gtk-version "0.18")
>         ...)

Great! For this sort of testing, it turns out that checking this is
essential for verifying that you've set up GUILE_LOAD_PATH correctly.
Belive it or not, things seem to work fairly well with a mix of latest-CVS
binaries/.so files and 0.17 .scm files.

Steve