public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-25  9:19 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-25  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

I found out that goes to exit() from gdbtk_source_start_file() in
../gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-interp.c, line 100.
gdbtk_init() seems to work. I had to recompile without optimization to
get that far.
I'm trying to dig deeper.

> Wow, it is exiting before it even executes user code! What
> does ldd show about the insight binary and associated
> libraries?

$ ldd /usr/local/bin/insight
        libX11.so.4 =>   /usr/lib/libX11.so.4
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
        libcurses.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1
        libiconv.so.2 =>         /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libXext.so.0 =>  /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
        libgcc_s.so.1 =>         /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-250/lib/libc_psr.so.1

> What is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Anything in there
> conflicting with insight?

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/4lib:/usr/loca
l/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/xpg4/lib

I changed it to /usr/local/lib only, but had no effect. Even unsetting
it did not change anything.

* RE: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-25 10:04 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-25 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

I found another dir with missing permissions for all
/usr/local/share/insight1.0 and subdirs.

Therefor it could not find main.tcl.
Now it is running. If I unset GDBTK_DEBUG. Otherwise it gives me exit
code 1. Maybe it could not initialize the logfile due to permissions.
I found that in gdbtk_source_start_file(). There is a msg variable that
contained the error message. But the variable content was not showing up
at the command line.

In the beginning I struggled with the install. I compiled with my normal
user account and did the install as root.
After that only root was able to run insight. I tried to set the install
script to "<source dir>/insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212/install-sh -o
bin -g bin -c".
But I still had to walk trough all the install directories and set
permissions to world read/execute.

Maybe there is an easier way to install insight accessible to all users?

Thanks a lot in helping to debug,

Joern

* RE: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-23 10:34 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> > I managed to compile insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212 after
> having troubles with older and stable versions.
> > Also the install went fine, but I can run insight only as root.
> > When I try to run it als normal user it just exits with
> code 1. When I start insight with option --tui --nw it works.
> > I checked with ldd which shared libs insight is using and
> checked user permissions on these. Everything is ok.
>
> Perhaps the permissions are set improperly on one of the
> libraries or something? Weird!

I checked all the permissions of libraries that insight might need.
And these are ok.

> What's the exit code -- is it really just 1? Wow. You might
> have to try debugging insight on gdb, setting a break on
> exit(). That should at least allow you to find out what is
> causing the exit.

Yes, the exit code is just 1. I started debugging insight, but I have to
dig into the code to understand what it's doing.
Here is the backtrace.

(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xff01a5a4 in exit () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#1  0x00059a5c in _start ()
(gdb)

Thanks,
Joern

* Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-13  8:50 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-13  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I have a problem running insight on Solaris 5.7.

I managed to compile insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212 after having troubles with older and stable versions.
Also the install went fine, but I can run insight only as root.
When I try to run it als normal user it just exits with code 1. When I start insight with option --tui --nw it works.
I checked with ldd which shared libs insight is using and checked user permissions on these. Everything is ok.

How can I get more information out of insight, what the problem is? Does it right any logfiles?
Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Joern

HP Services - Consulting & Integration   Phone:  ++49 (0) 7031 14 7647
Technology Solutions Group               Fax:    ++49 (0) 7031 14 7264
Hewlett-Packard GmbH                     Mobil:  ++49 (0) 160 9041 7466
Herrenberger Str. 140
D-71034 Böblingen
Mailstop: HPC-AUTO

E-mail:   joern dot lentes at hp dot com            http://www.hp.com/de

Hewlett-Packard GmbH

Geschäftsführer: Hans Ulrich Holdenried (Vorsitzender), Edgar Aschenbrenner,
Heiko Meyer, Ernst Reichart, Matthias Schmidt,
Regine Stachelhaus, Stephan Wippermann
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jörg Menno Harms
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Böblingen HRB 4081,
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 30409072