public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-13  8:50 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-13  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I have a problem running insight on Solaris 5.7.

I managed to compile insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212 after having troubles with older and stable versions.
Also the install went fine, but I can run insight only as root.
When I try to run it als normal user it just exits with code 1. When I start insight with option --tui --nw it works.
I checked with ldd which shared libs insight is using and checked user permissions on these. Everything is ok.

How can I get more information out of insight, what the problem is? Does it right any logfiles?
Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Joern

HP Services - Consulting & Integration   Phone:  ++49 (0) 7031 14 7647
Technology Solutions Group               Fax:    ++49 (0) 7031 14 7264
Hewlett-Packard GmbH                     Mobil:  ++49 (0) 160 9041 7466
Herrenberger Str. 140
D-71034 Böblingen
Mailstop: HPC-AUTO

E-mail:   joern dot lentes at hp dot com            http://www.hp.com/de

Hewlett-Packard GmbH

Geschäftsführer: Hans Ulrich Holdenried (Vorsitzender), Edgar Aschenbrenner,
Heiko Meyer, Ernst Reichart, Matthias Schmidt,
Regine Stachelhaus, Stephan Wippermann
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jörg Menno Harms
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Böblingen HRB 4081,
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 30409072

* Re: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-13 19:10 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-01-13 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lentes, Joern; +Cc: insight

Lentes, Joern wrote:

> I managed to compile insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212 after having troubles with older and stable versions.
> Also the install went fine, but I can run insight only as root.
> When I try to run it als normal user it just exits with code 1. When I start insight with option --tui --nw it works.
> I checked with ldd which shared libs insight is using and checked user permissions on these. Everything is ok.

Perhaps the permissions are set improperly on one of the libraries or
something? Weird!

What's the exit code -- is it really just 1? Wow. You might have to try
debugging insight on gdb, setting a break on exit(). That should at
least allow you to find out what is causing the exit.

> How can I get more information out of insight, what the problem is? Does it right any logfiles?
> Any help is welcome.

If the debug system manages to load, setting GDBTK_DEBUG=2 in your
environment will write a log file of the actually gui code (the tcl
code). However, I'm betting you won't get that far. It sounds like
gdbtk_init or something is bailing on you...

Keith

* Re: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-25 15:06 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-01-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lentes, Joern; +Cc: insight

Lentes, Joern wrote:

> Therefor it could not find main.tcl.
> Now it is running. If I unset GDBTK_DEBUG. Otherwise it gives me exit
> code 1. Maybe it could not initialize the logfile due to permissions.
> I found that in gdbtk_source_start_file(). There is a msg variable that
> contained the error message. But the variable content was not showing up
> at the command line.

Grr. I thought that problem was fixed long, long ago. Hmmm. [dig, dig]
Sadly, "it works for me" (at least in the capacity I tested it with). :-(

> But I still had to walk trough all the install directories and set
> permissions to world read/execute.

Which directories? All of the ones installed with insight or just
$INSTALLDIR/share/insight1.0? Can you run any of the other installed
binaries (before changing permissions) like gdb, tclsh, etc? Or do those
also not work?

I wonder if it is an "installer" issue. What is the value of
ac_cv_path_install in config.cache?

> Maybe there is an easier way to install insight accessible to all users?

I still don't understand why this happened to you. I build and install
insight like this *every* week when I make the snapshot.

Well, at least you're running, I guess. I'd still like to know why this
happened, though.

Keith

* RE: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-25 10:04 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-25 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

I found another dir with missing permissions for all
/usr/local/share/insight1.0 and subdirs.

Therefor it could not find main.tcl.
Now it is running. If I unset GDBTK_DEBUG. Otherwise it gives me exit
code 1. Maybe it could not initialize the logfile due to permissions.
I found that in gdbtk_source_start_file(). There is a msg variable that
contained the error message. But the variable content was not showing up
at the command line.

In the beginning I struggled with the install. I compiled with my normal
user account and did the install as root.
After that only root was able to run insight. I tried to set the install
script to "<source dir>/insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212/install-sh -o
bin -g bin -c".
But I still had to walk trough all the install directories and set
permissions to world read/execute.

Maybe there is an easier way to install insight accessible to all users?

Thanks a lot in helping to debug,

Joern

* RE: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-25  9:19 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-25  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

I found out that goes to exit() from gdbtk_source_start_file() in
../gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-interp.c, line 100.
gdbtk_init() seems to work. I had to recompile without optimization to
get that far.
I'm trying to dig deeper.

> Wow, it is exiting before it even executes user code! What
> does ldd show about the insight binary and associated
> libraries?

$ ldd /usr/local/bin/insight
        libX11.so.4 =>   /usr/lib/libX11.so.4
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
        libcurses.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1
        libiconv.so.2 =>         /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libXext.so.0 =>  /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
        libgcc_s.so.1 =>         /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-250/lib/libc_psr.so.1

> What is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Anything in there
> conflicting with insight?

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/4lib:/usr/loca
l/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/xpg4/lib

I changed it to /usr/local/lib only, but had no effect. Even unsetting
it did not change anything.

* Re: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-24 17:10 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-01-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lentes, Joern; +Cc: insight

Lentes, Joern wrote:

> Yes, the exit code is just 1. I started debugging insight, but I have to
> dig into the code to understand what it's doing.
> Here is the backtrace.
>
> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  0xff01a5a4 in exit () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> #1  0x00059a5c in _start ()
> (gdb)

Wow, it is exiting before it even executes user code! What does ldd show
about the insight binary and associated libraries? What is in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Anything in there conflicting with insight?

Befuddled,
Keith

* RE: Problem running insight on Solaris 5.7
@ 2006-01-23 10:34 Lentes, Joern
From: Lentes, Joern @ 2006-01-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> > I managed to compile insight-weekly-6.40.50.20051212 after
> having troubles with older and stable versions.
> > Also the install went fine, but I can run insight only as root.
> > When I try to run it als normal user it just exits with
> code 1. When I start insight with option --tui --nw it works.
> > I checked with ldd which shared libs insight is using and
> checked user permissions on these. Everything is ok.
>
> Perhaps the permissions are set improperly on one of the
> libraries or something? Weird!

I checked all the permissions of libraries that insight might need.
And these are ok.

#0  0xff01a5a4 in exit () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#1  0x00059a5c in _start ()
(gdb)

Thanks,
Joern