public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Getting started
@ 2004-06-22 21:22 Frederic Beaulieu
From: Frederic Beaulieu @ 2004-06-22 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,
I try to use your software to program a MCU MSP430 from TI and I have a
little problem

I installed a previous version of MSPGCC (mspgcc-20030506.exe including
Insight) and reinstalled the newest(mspgcc-20040602.exe without Insight).
All seems to work fine (gcc, gdb, etc). The only problem I have happen when
I try to used Insight. I followed the exemple from
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/mspgcc.en.htm. After I have open the
test1.elf file and connect to the target succesfully, I obtain a white
screen with the following message: "Select function name to disassemble"

Can you explain what I must do to debug my code now!

Thanks in advance!
Fred

-------------------------------
Frederic Beaulieu, M.Sc.
Research and Development
NewTrax Technologies Inc.
3674 Saint-Hubert
Montreal, Qc, CANADA H2L 4A2
Tel:   (514) 288-6398
Fax:   (514) 221-3417
Email: frederic@newtrax.ca

* Re: Getting started
@ 2004-06-22 21:35 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-22 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederic Beaulieu; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 17:14, Frederic Beaulieu wrote:
> "Select function name to disassemble"

This message is displayed whenever Insight hasn't a clue about where it
should be looking. This commonly occurs for three reasons:

1) No debug info in executable
2) PC is off in la-la land (i.e., it is not pointed at something sane)
3) Can't find a suitable entry point to show when a file is loaded

My guess is that you've hit #2. When you attach to the board, its PC is
probably ill-defined and pointing off into random memory (outside your
program's text section). So Insight doesn't know what to show you, and
it is telling you to select something to view.

This is normal and should "correct" itself after you download (since
downloading resets the PC).

Keith

* getting started
@ 1999-10-24 11:02 Marty Saxton