public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Insight on Windows NT w/cygwin
@ 2000-06-09 11:55 MWCruess
From: MWCruess @ 2000-06-09 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Thanks for the advice.  I was thinking that it must
be something about the tcl code.  I did try building
the whole thing from scratch with no optimization and
the behavior was still odd (in the sense that the
newly built gdb would just mysteriously exit, the
gdb console window would print a message that the
program exited normally.

I also saw some behavior in which it made a diference
if I built a program from a directory I got to with
"cd /usr/play" or "/cygdrive/d/usr/play".

Thanks,
Michael

* Re: Insight on Windows NT w/cygwin
@ 2000-06-09 20:18 MWCruess
From: MWCruess @ 2000-06-09 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

OK.  Thanks.  I did get to work by doing a "make install".  In the past
I had always tested gdb builds in the build directory.  Following up on
your suggestion about the paths I went ahead and did the install and it
came up.  It seems to be slower than your precompiled binaries, but
it works.  I was also able to build the version that I am really interested
in for one of our microcontroller boards.  Unfortunately, I now have a COM
port problem and can't talk to the board...

Thanks for your assistance.  I'll download the newer version with your
changes Monday.

Michael

* Insight on Windows NT w/cygwin
@ 2000-06-08 19:58 MWCruess
From: MWCruess @ 2000-06-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have am having trouble building a working version of Insight for a
Windows NT host.  Insight builds, but when I run it nothing appears
to happen.  I just get a shell prompt.  When I use the -nw option the
command line interface seems to work fine.

I downloaded and installed a completely new cygwin environment a
few days ago.  The binary of gdb/insight that comes with cygwin works,
although debugging the binary that I built gives odd results.  The program
under debug will suddenly exit with no indication of what happened.  When
single-stepping I have seen a function entered with the return statement
highlighted, then one more step causes an earlier statement to be
highlighted.  The behavior changes from run to run on the same binary.
This has me wondering if I have a compiler problem.

If any of this sounds familiar, I would appreciate some advice.  The Solaris
version built first time and runs great, but I don't have much experience
with the Windows system.

Thanks,
Michael