public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-10-10  9:42 Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-10-10  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight (Эл. почта)

Hi,

I found next incorrectness, when run insight fo h8300 target:

If I run gdb without any parameters, and make view registers, then
Insight show registers window for default platform (h8300 16bits registers),

then when I load my program, wich build for h8300h or h8300s (32bits
registers)
target, registers window STILL remain for h8300 target, i.e. not updated for
new target.

Regards
Andrey Volkov

* Re: [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-10-10  9:54 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-10-10  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov
  Cc: Insight (Эл. почта)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Andrew Volkov wrote:

> If I run gdb without any parameters, and make view registers, then
> Insight show registers window for default platform (h8300 16bits registers),
>
> then when I load my program, wich build for h8300h or h8300s (32bits
> registers)
> target, registers window STILL remain for h8300 target, i.e. not updated for
> new target.

This could be an architecture change bug. It may not even be implemented
in the version of Insight you are using. What does "gdb -v" (or "show
version") give?

Keith

* Re: [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-10-10 18:06   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-10-10 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Andrew Volkov, Insight (  ??. ?????)

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Andrew Volkov wrote:
>

>> If I run gdb without any parameters, and make view registers, then
>> Insight show registers window for default platform (h8300 16bits registers),
>>
>> then when I load my program, wich build for h8300h or h8300s (32bits
>> registers)
>> target, registers window STILL remain for h8300 target, i.e. not updated for
>> new target.
>

> This could be an architecture change bug. It may not even be implemented
> in the version of Insight you are using. What does "gdb -v" (or "show
> version") give?

Just FYI, the h8300 target doesn't use GDB's multi-arch framework to
flip between architectures.  I suspect that is the problem.

	Andrew

* [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-12-07  9:49 ` Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-12-07  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight (Эл. почта)

@ 2001-12-07  9:58   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-12-07  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov
  Cc: Insight (Эл. почта)

@ 2001-12-07 11:08     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-12-07 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Andrew Volkov, Insight (  ??. ?????)

@ 2001-12-08  6:57 ` Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-12-08  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: insight

Ok, I'm ready to start converting h8300 part of GDB to multi-arch.

Andrey

@ 2001-12-07 13:30   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-12-07 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov
  Cc: Keith Seitz,
	Insight (  Эл. почта)

@ 2001-12-07 11:50   ` Elena Zannoni
From: Elena Zannoni @ 2001-12-07 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, insight

Andrew Volkov writes:

 > > 16bits registers),

 > > h8300s (32bits
 > > i.e. not updated for
 > > >

 > > > This could be an architecture change bug. It may not even
 > > be implemented
 > > > in the version of Insight you are using. What does "gdb -v"
 > > (or "show
 > > > version") give?
 > >
 > > Just FYI, the h8300 target doesn't use GDB's multi-arch framework to
 > > flip between architectures.  I suspect that is the problem.
 > >
 > > 	Andrew
 >
 > I think  you right.

Indeed, I didn't touch the H8300 when I multiarched the sh.

Elena

@ 2001-12-07 11:42 ` Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-12-07 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: insight

Hello Andrew,

> > On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Andrew Volkov wrote:
> >

> >> If I run gdb without any parameters, and make view registers, then
> >> Insight show registers window for default platform (h8300
> 16bits registers),
> >>
> >> then when I load my program, wich build for h8300h or
> h8300s (32bits
> >> registers)
> >> target, registers window STILL remain for h8300 target,
> i.e. not updated for
> >> new target.
> >

> > This could be an architecture change bug. It may not even
> be implemented
> > in the version of Insight you are using. What does "gdb -v"
> (or "show
> > version") give?
>
> Just FYI, the h8300 target doesn't use GDB's multi-arch framework to
> flip between architectures.  I suspect that is the problem.
>
> 	Andrew

I think  you right.

Andrey

* RE: [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-12-07 11:07 ` Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-12-07 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Insight (Эл. почта)

Hi Keith,

Sorry for previous bad reply.

> > GNU gdb 5.1
> > Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
> License, and you are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
> warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin
> --target=h8300-hms".
>
> Can you send me two very simple executables to demonstrate
> the problem?
> (This prevents me from having to build compiler(s) and
> figuring out how to
> build them.)
>
> Please tell me the exact procedure you used to do this. Although I
> think I can guess, it never hurts to be sure. During this, please be
> explicit about what registers should appear when.
>
> For example,
>
> . load ex1.elf
> . break in main
> . run on simulator
> . open register window
> . notice registers foo, bar, baz
> (and so on)

I attach bzipped hello.out and hello.c (COFF with full gdb debug info).

Now, whats I do:

$h8300-hms-gdb
<Ctrl-R> (show regs. window)
Ok, Insight show me regs for h8300 (16 bits regs: r0...r6, sp, ccr ...)

Here started snapshot from console window ->
(gdb) show architecture
The target architecture is set automatically (currently unknown)

(gdb) file hello.out
(gdb) ta si
Connected to the simulator.

(gdb) lo
Start address 0x102
Transfer rate: 7360 bits in <1 sec.

(gdb) show architecture
The target architecture is set automatically (currently h8300s)

(gdb) set architecture h8300s
The target architecture is assumed to be h8300s

(gdb) show architecture
The target architecture is assumed to be h8300s

(gdb)

But Registers widow still show h8300 registers :((,
but must show: er0...er6, sp, ccr ...

> BTW, I think a workaround for your problem is to simply close
> the register
> window and re-open it, no?
>
> Keith

It's not so good idea, because h8300 and h8300s have different number
of hardware regs (it not implemented in current, but may will implement
in future ver. of gdb), and if I forget close Regs. windows before
changing architecture (through load or somehow else), then Insight
(not gdb) will die when I will try close this window :(.

Another warkaround, NETHER run gdb without args (ex. $h8300-hms-gdb
hello.out).

But, I think better way remain registers window blank (if it possible), or
invisible while architecture is unknown.

Andrey

[-- Attachment #2: hello.tar.bz --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip2, Size: 1698 bytes --]

* RE: [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-12-07 10:06   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-12-07 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight Maling List

@ 2001-10-11  9:38 Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-10-11  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: insight

@ 2001-10-11  7:53 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-10-11  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov
  Cc: Keith Seitz,
	Insight (  Эл. почта)

@ 2001-10-10 21:31 ` Elena Zannoni
From: Elena Zannoni @ 2001-10-10 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Volkov; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, insight

@ 2001-10-10 19:42 Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-10-10 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: insight

Hello Andrew,

> > On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Andrew Volkov wrote:
> >

> >> If I run gdb without any parameters, and make view registers, then
> >> Insight show registers window for default platform (h8300
> 16bits registers),
> >>
> >> then when I load my program, wich build for h8300h or
> h8300s (32bits
> >> registers)
> >> target, registers window STILL remain for h8300 target,
> i.e. not updated for
> >> new target.
> >

> > This could be an architecture change bug. It may not even
> be implemented
> > in the version of Insight you are using. What does "gdb -v"
> (or "show
> > version") give?
>
> Just FYI, the h8300 target doesn't use GDB's multi-arch framework to
> flip between architectures.  I suspect that is the problem.
>
> 	Andrew

I think  you right.

Andrey

* RE: [bug] Synchonization of registers window in h8300 Insight
@ 2001-10-10 10:57 Andrew Volkov
From: Andrew Volkov @ 2001-10-10 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Insight (Эл. почта)

       [not found] <2E74F312D6980D459F3A05492BA40F8D56FF5A@clue.transas.com>