public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* autoconf version of itcl/tcl/tk subdirectories
@ 2006-03-20 22:03 Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-03-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I was wondering if someone on this mailing list could help me understand
why the itcl, tcl, and tk subdirectories of the src tree are still using
autoconf 2.13.  My understanding is that these subdirectories are used
when building insight, is that correct?  That is why I am asking on this
email list.

The reason I am interested is that I want to get the libtool that is in
the GCC tree updated.  I have been told this cannot happen until all of
the GCC and src trees have been updated to autoconf 2.59.  The GCC tree
has been completely updated and most of the src tree is updated, but
itcl, tcl, and tk are among the src subdirectories that have not been
updated.

Does anyone know any blocks to updating these directories to use
autoconf 2.59?

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

* Re: autoconf version of itcl/tcl/tk subdirectories
@ 2006-03-21  0:28 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-03-21  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sje; +Cc: insight

Steve Ellcey wrote:
> I was wondering if someone on this mailing list could help me understand
> why the itcl, tcl, and tk subdirectories of the src tree are still using
> autoconf 2.13.  My understanding is that these subdirectories are used
> when building insight, is that correct?  That is why I am asking on this
> email list.

Yes, tk and itcl are used solely by insight, afaik. Tcl, though, is used
by almost everyone for dejagnu/testing.

> Does anyone know any blocks to updating these directories to use
> autoconf 2.59?

Not really. The reason they use 2.13 is because that's what tcl, tk, and
itcl were released with. Tcl 8.4.13 (released 7 Mar) still uses autconf
2.13 still. However Tcl CVS HEAD (vintage 8.5 beta) uses 2.59.

Looks like a conversion wouldn't be too difficult using 8.5 code as a
reference. [It's not quite as painless as just regenerating configure,
though. I know -- I tried it with 8.4.12 when I dropped that into my build.]

Keith

* Re: autoconf version of itcl/tcl/tk subdirectories
@ 2006-03-27 19:34   ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-03-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keiths; +Cc: insight

> Yes, tk and itcl are used solely by insight, afaik. Tcl, though, is used
> by almost everyone for dejagnu/testing.
>
> > Does anyone know any blocks to updating these directories to use
> > autoconf 2.59?
>
> Not really. The reason they use 2.13 is because that's what tcl, tk, and
> itcl were released with. Tcl 8.4.13 (released 7 Mar) still uses autconf
> 2.13 still. However Tcl CVS HEAD (vintage 8.5 beta) uses 2.59.
>
> Keith

What about iwidgets and blt?  They use the old autoconf too.  My
understanding is that they used to be used by insight but no longer are.
Can we remove the iwidgets and blt directories from the src tree?

@ 2006-03-29 17:57     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-03-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Ellcey; +Cc: insight

Steve Ellcey wrote:

> What about iwidgets and blt?  They use the old autoconf too.  My
> understanding is that they used to be used by insight but no longer are.
> Can we remove the iwidgets and blt directories from the src tree?

Yes, you are right about those. BLT was never used by Insight (always
wanted to use it, though) and iwidgets became a subproject of itcl
sometime in the past.

So, yes, those projects could be removed. I don't know how overseers
feel about that since one might not be able to checkout/build a very old
version of insight. You might double-check with overseers@ before
removing them.

Keith

* Re: autoconf version of itcl/tcl/tk subdirectories
@ 2006-03-29 18:20       ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-03-29 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keiths; +Cc: insight

> Steve Ellcey wrote:
>
> > What about iwidgets and blt?  They use the old autoconf too.  My
> > understanding is that they used to be used by insight but no longer are.
> > Can we remove the iwidgets and blt directories from the src tree?
>
> Yes, you are right about those. BLT was never used by Insight (always
> wanted to use it, though) and iwidgets became a subproject of itcl
> sometime in the past.
>
> So, yes, those projects could be removed. I don't know how overseers
> feel about that since one might not be able to checkout/build a very old
> version of insight. You might double-check with overseers@ before
> removing them.
>
> Keith

Yes, I will check with overseers before doing anything.  I just want to
make sure that the insight maintainers have no problem with removing
these before going to the overseers.  Any idea what "very old" is in
terms of what the version number / release date of the last insight was
that used iwidgets.  I looked in the top-level ChangeLog in the src tree
at sourceware.org and I can't find any reference to adding or removing
iwidgets from the top-level build.  When I look at the very first
version of Makefile.in at the top-level I see a build of itcl, but no
build of iwidgets.  Nor do I see any mention of iwidgets in the CVS log
for src/Makefile.in.  The CVS log goes back to 1999 and the ChangeLog
goes back to 1991.

@ 2006-03-29 18:30         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-03-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Ellcey; +Cc: insight

Steve Ellcey wrote:

> Any idea what "very old" is in
> terms of what the version number / release date of the last insight was
> that used iwidgets.

At least five years -- if ever. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know
there was a toplevel iwidgets directory. Maybe it was used as some sort
of vendor branch or something?

Keith

* Re: autoconf version of itcl/tcl/tk subdirectories
@ 2006-03-29 18:43           ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2006-03-29 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keiths; +Cc: insight

> Steve Ellcey wrote:
>
> > Any idea what "very old" is in
> > terms of what the version number / release date of the last insight was
> > that used iwidgets.
>
> At least five years -- if ever. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know
> there was a toplevel iwidgets directory. Maybe it was used as some sort
> of vendor branch or something?
>
> Keith

Well, it looks like the only checkins into that directory were made by
you back in September of 2002 with comment of "import iwidgets 4.0.1".
And the only CVS tags on the files appear to be:

 tcltk840-20020924-branchpoint
 tcltk840-20020924-branch
 IWIDGETS_4_0_1
 HEAD

The tcktk tags are also on the blt subdirectory files.  I don't see any
gdb or insight labels on any files under blt or iwidgets so I guess that
makes it safe to remove them (after getting overseer approval) without
breaking any old gdb or insight builds.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com