public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight development?
@ 2010-05-03 12:35 Ricard Wanderlof
From: Ricard Wanderlof @ 2010-05-03 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

It seems that not much has happened with Insight lately - the latest news
on the Insight home page (http://sourceware.org/insight/) is about 6.8-1
from July last year. Has development of Insight stopped completely, or are
people just busy with other things?

kind regards,

/Ricard W.

* Re: Insight development?
@ 2010-05-03 16:41 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2010-05-03 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricard Wanderlof; +Cc: insight

On 05/03/2010 05:35 AM, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:

> It seems that not much has happened with Insight lately - the latest
> news on the Insight home page (http://sourceware.org/insight/) is about
> 6.8-1 from July last year. Has development of Insight stopped
> completely, or are people just busy with other things?

Active development has pretty much stopped entirely. As far as I know, I
am the only person still actively trying to keep insight crawling along
-- largely because I still use it daily for my work.

Occasionally a gdb person will check in a patch for some API change that
is made upstream, but those people are very few.

Releases get done very sporadically. I've been sitting on a configury
patch for x86_64 for some time. Since I am now migrating to an x86_64
box, I can actually now test this stuff! [And there have been numerous
problems reported with x86_64.]

And in general, I have been very busy with my personal interests, so
it's a real effort to do much more than keep it working sufficiently for
my needs.

I've thought about rewriting from scratch, but there are several
competing projects out there like nemevier that require consideration
first. Perhaps I will just jump ship and work one of those.

Keith

* Re: Insight development?
@ 2010-05-03 18:58   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-05-03 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 09:40:50AM -0700, Keith Seitz wrote:
>On 05/03/2010 05:35 AM, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
>
>> It seems that not much has happened with Insight lately - the latest
>> news on the Insight home page (http://sourceware.org/insight/) is about
>> 6.8-1 from July last year. Has development of Insight stopped
>> completely, or are people just busy with other things?
>
>Active development has pretty much stopped entirely. As far as I know, I
>am the only person still actively trying to keep insight crawling along
>-- largely because I still use it daily for my work.
>
>Occasionally a gdb person will check in a patch for some API change that
>is made upstream, but those people are very few.
>
>Releases get done very sporadically. I've been sitting on a configury
>patch for x86_64 for some time. Since I am now migrating to an x86_64
>box, I can actually now test this stuff! [And there have been numerous
>problems reported with x86_64.]
>
>And in general, I have been very busy with my personal interests, so
>it's a real effort to do much more than keep it working sufficiently for
>my needs.
>
>I've thought about rewriting from scratch, but there are several
>competing projects out there like nemevier that require consideration
>first. Perhaps I will just jump ship and work one of those.

As you know, I've been wondering what to do about the cygwin insight
version.  This has caused me to stall the release of a new version of
gdb for cygwin.

If you have a project that you think is worthwhile, like nemiver, or
kdevelop, or...  I think it's time for me to start EOLing cygwin
insight.

I know that one of these projects would really benefit from your...

wait for it...

insight.

cgf

* Re: Re: Insight development?
@ 2010-05-06 19:55   ` Johan
From: Johan @ 2010-05-06 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Ricard Wanderlof, insight

Hi

Keith Seitz wrote:

> Active development has pretty much stopped entirely. As far as I know,
> I am the only person still actively trying to keep insight crawling
> along -- largely because I still use it daily for my work.
>
> Keith

It sounds like a troublesome situation,
and since I'm using it as a nice frontend for OpenOCD (arm jtag to gdb
server).
I hate to see it die.

Maybe it could be easier to get people to give a helping hand if the code
was more accessible? I thinking cvs vs. git/subversion question?

Maybe it is a good idea to start to use something like github.com?

By the way, how dependent on cvs is this project?
(Is there a lot of magic happening on the cvs-server?)

BR
Johan