public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Windows GUI to GDB on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-17  6:43 Susan G. Conger
From: Susan G. Conger @ 2002-12-17  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I am trying to find a GUI to GDB running on a Mac OS X box.  I have to do Mac
OS X development and I do this from my Windows machine using a terminal
program.  I really like GUI debuggers so I was hoping there is a solution that
will give me a GUI interface to GDB running on the Mac OS X box.  Has anyone
tried this before?  Does anyone know of something that might work?

Thanks,
Susan

Susan G. Conger                 Custom Windows & Macintosh Development
President                                Web Site Design & Development
YOERIC Corporation                       Database Design & Development
256 Windy Ridge Road
Chapel Hill, NC  27517
Phone/Fax: (919)542-0071
congers@yoeric.com
www.yoeric.com

* Re: Windows GUI to GDB on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-17  6:57 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2002-12-17  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: congers; +Cc: insight

It is called remote debugging and it is very common.

Check if you can get a copy of the gdbserver program that works on the
Mac OS X box (it probably does).  Then you can use Insight (GDB) to
connect to it.

Ask about the gdbserver on the GDB list:  gdb@sources.redhat.com

Get a copy of Insight that works on Cygwin (install Cygwin if you need).

Good luck,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

* Re: Windows GUI to GDB on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-18 13:41       ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2002-12-18 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: congers

Jim Ingham <jingham@apple.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 11:19  AM, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> > If I understood right, she wants to do just the opposite.  her local
> > machine is a Windows machine and the remote one is the Mac one.
> > That is why I suggested running gdbserver on the Mac OS X (should
> > build with no problem, I believe).  Then she can use GDB (thus
> > Insight) from her Windows machine, connecting to the gdbserver target.

 Maybe I have dropped from the wagon, but using X apps from Windoze
or from any other system which has the needed 'X11 Server' installed,
should still be possible.  In 1990 or 1991 one of my customers
purchased a 30 'MIPS' DECstation (with MIPS CPU) and two Tektronix X-
terminals connected to it via the LAN.  The nondisk-terminals had the
X11-servers and three persons could use the same CAD-program at the
same time... It was sane because the DECstation costed about $15.000
and the X11-terminals maybe $1000 apiece...

 And in 1997 I personally installed some commercial (but a limited-
time trial-version was downloadable from the net) into 10 or
so Windoze-PCs (with Win95's) and then students in that classroom
could use some electronics design program running on a SunStation...

 Since then I haven't needed to toy with these things...

 If the MacOS X system has X11, has a X11-based Insight and Susan
gets some X11-server for Windoze, what is the problem now ?  As I
understand this, only the screen, keyboard and mouse have been
'moved' via the lan into the Windoze-station but the Insight itself
runs on MacOS X and shouldn't care about where the screen, keyboard
and mouse are...

 If the 30 MIPS DECstation was powerful enough for three engineers
to use it at the same time in 1991, how the current 1000+ MIPS Unix-
stations are not sane to be 'shared' via the 100/1000 Megabit/s
'Fast Ethernets' ?  Ok, these are cheaper now, but still using apps
running on different systems via the lan can be perfectly sane... I
would be quite sure that this was the original idea for X, not the
graphical UI (as it is in Windoze)...

Cheers, Kai

* Re: Windows GUI to GDB on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-17 11:20     ` Jim Ingham
From: Jim Ingham @ 2002-12-17 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: insight

Fernando,

On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 11:19  AM, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> Jim,
>
> If I understood right, she wants to do just the opposite.  her local
> machine is a Windows machine and the remote one is the Mac one.

Oh, yeah, I didn't read this closely enough...  Sorry for the noise.

> That is why I suggested running gdbserver on the Mac OS X (should
> build with no problem, I believe).  Then she can use GDB (thus
> Insight) from her Windows machine, connecting to the gdbserver target.
>
> gdbserver is currently very complete, handles threads etc...

But gdbserver doesn't use the gdb target code, it has its own
implementation of process & thread handling, register & memory reading,
etc...  The linux-low code won't work on Mac OS X, it is a pretty
different OS from Linux.  So we would have to actually port gdbserver
to Mac OS X, which we haven't done yet.

Sadly, the best Susan is going to be able to do is to run the emacs
mode in her terminal window (hardly a gui, but a little better than a
command line)

Jim

>>> congers@yoeric.com

--