public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight build, plus patch request
@ 2008-07-14 19:35 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2008-07-14 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

FYI -- Insight isn't building for me.  I'm using gdb cvs head as of a
day or two ago.

Also, please look at the gdbtk bits of this patch:

    http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-07/msg00244.html

This gets rid of some deprecated hooks.

thanks,
Tom

* Re: insight build, plus patch request
@ 2008-07-14 19:47 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-07-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Insight List

Tom Tromey wrote:
> FYI -- Insight isn't building for me.  I'm using gdb cvs head as of a
> day or two ago.

Actually, it hasn't been building in several weeks. No one has noticed
yet... [Okay, you and one other person.]

Methinks Insight's usefulness is coming to an end.

> Also, please look at the gdbtk bits of this patch:
>
>     http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-07/msg00244.html
>
> This gets rid of some deprecated hooks.

Yeah, that's all fine. I'll see if I cannot fix the build one more time...

Thanks,
Keith

* Re: insight build, plus patch request
@ 2008-07-14 20:30   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2008-07-14 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Insight List

Keith> Methinks Insight's usefulness is coming to an end.

Time for that PyGtk rewrite... :)

@ 2008-07-14 20:43     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-07-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Insight List

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Keith> Methinks Insight's usefulness is coming to an end.
>
> Time for that PyGtk rewrite... :)

I already started playing with that. Alas, with the "new" frysk ("new"
GDB?) coming up, I am not so sure that it is worth it.

Let's face it: Insight is in need of massive rewriting, barely
maintained, not developed, and is in licensing limbo. This last con is
enough to kill Insight IMO. Heck, it probably *has* been one of the
reasons why Insight is so stagnant (at least it is for me).

Good case for PyGtk, for sure, but unless I went with 100% GDB/MI
implementation (which I don't want to do), I would still need to either
rewrite or recycle all the glue code in gdbtk/generic.

Once again, it may simply not be worth the effort any more. It might be
better to simply contribute to Øyvind Harboe's stand-alone CDT debugger.

Keith

* Re: insight build, plus patch request
@ 2008-07-14 20:54       ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2008-07-14 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Insight List

Keith> Good case for PyGtk, for sure, but unless I went with 100% GDB/MI
Keith> implementation (which I don't want to do), I would still need to
Keith> either rewrite or recycle all the glue code in gdbtk/generic.

I think we'll need that stuff anyhow, just for plain Python
scripting in gdb.  Some of the hooks are in weird spots, but a lot of
them just seem like natural places to want to get information or
insert some processing.

Keith> Once again, it may simply not be worth the effort any more. It might
Keith> be better to simply contribute to Øyvind Harboe's stand-alone CDT
Keith> debugger.

Or nemiver or kdevelop or ... :-)

@ 2008-07-15  9:56   ` Andrew STUBBS
From: Andrew STUBBS @ 2008-07-15  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Insight List

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Tom Tromey wrote:
>> FYI -- Insight isn't building for me.  I'm using gdb cvs head as of a
>> day or two ago.

> Actually, it hasn't been building in several weeks. No one has noticed
> yet... [Okay, you and one other person.]

> Methinks Insight's usefulness is coming to an end.

FWIW, ST still does ship Insight. I know that we have customers that do
use it too, because we occasionally get support requests. Not too many
though - it mostly Just Works. :)

All the new exciting work is going into the Eclipse product, but with
that we're getting complaints that it's not enough like Insight! For one
thing, the customers like the speed and simplicity.

We don't use CVS HEAD, so we don't scream the moment it breaks, but if
there were no Insight 6.9 you'll probably hear about it. ;)

I can't offer much in the way of expertise or effort, but please take
this as a vote for keeping Insight alive.

Thanks for all your hard work

Andrew