public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* How is life?
@ 2002-05-23  0:26 Hans Kester
From: Hans Kester @ 2002-05-23  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello,

I noticed that although work is still going on, indicated by the 5.2 release, your website is outdated. It still announces release 5.1 while 5.1.1 and 5.2 have also been released. What's going on?

Hans Kester

* Re: How is life?
@ 2002-05-28  8:26 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2002-05-28  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kester; +Cc: insight

> Hello,
>
> I noticed that although work is still going on, indicated by the 5.2 release, your website is outdated. It still announces release 5.1 while 5.1.1 and 5.2 have also been released. What's going on?

5.1.1 contains changes so minor to not be worth downloading.

insight 5.2 is my foobar.  When rolling out a GDB release. I'll simply
simply roll out an Insight release in parallel.

5.2 works for most systems, but not cygwin.  Cygwin is having problems
with tcl/tk but the details I don't know.

Andrew

* Re: How is life?
@ 2002-05-28  9:10   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-05-28  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Hans Kester, insight

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> 5.2 works for most systems, but not cygwin.  Cygwin is having problems
> with tcl/tk but the details I don't know.

Yeah, I don't know about it either. The new Tcl/Tk just don't work on
cygwin very reliably. I don't know why, either. I've looked at some of the
work that was done, and there are some obvious problems (like linking with
-Wl,-e,_WinMain@16). But even beyond this, I can still get it to crash
pretty easily (but deep in the bowels of Tcl/Tk).

I am beginning to think that we should take tcl/tk 8.3 out of sources and
put it on a branch, putting the old tcl/tk back into sources. Or we could
keep the new tcl/tk in sources and put the old tcl onto the release branch
for 5.2 (and any future versions). Or we could simply use 8.3 on unix
releases and make a "special" cygwin tree off of 5.2 which has the old
tcl/tk in it. :-)

Keith