public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* problems with the "target" part..
@ 2000-01-24 14:55 Rune Elvemo
From: Rune Elvemo @ 2000-01-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have a really hard time figuring out how to use insight.....

I mean.. I *have* used debuggers before. and know how to set breakpoints
and stuff...

the actual problem here... is that I can't make it work no matter what
target I specify, I ALWAYS get the message "don't know how to run" or
something like that..

even when I use "target exec <filename>" first...

the old gdb didn't have to know about some target, in order to start did
it ?

I'm sorry for posting something you might find stupid.. but if I don't ask
somewhere, I won't be able to use Insight in the near future..

thanks!

---
Rune Elvemo	---	Octagon / Digital Minds
relvemo@grm.hia.no
http://home.c2i.net/elvemo

* Re: problems with the "target" part..
@ 2000-01-24 15:33 ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 2000-01-24 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rune Elvemo; +Cc: insight

Rune,

Could you send what host & target you are trying to run on, and
also an example session that fails for you.

Thanks,

Jim

@ 2000-01-25  9:13   ` Rune Elvemo
From: Rune Elvemo @ 2000-01-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Ingham; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, James Ingham wrote:

> Rune,
>
> Could you send what host & target you are trying to run on, and
> also an example session that fails for you.
The host is powerpc-unkown-linu-gnu, that is a machine with a PowerPC cpu
(603e) running LinuxPPC.

ok... I'll do a little textmode session.. :

--------------------------- snip --------------------
[root@hybel91 src]# gdb dbtest
GNU gdb 20000117
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) target exec dbtest
(gdb) run
Starting program: /root/src/dbtest
Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
(gdb) target sim
Connected to the simulator.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /root/src/dbtest
warning: No program loaded.
No program loaded
(gdb)
------------------------------ snip ----------------------------

maybe you think I'm stupid and stuff... well.. I hope not..

anyway... I've used the regular gdb earlier, and to tell you the truth it
was straight forward.. that's not the case now...
(because then the program expected that you would run the program on the
machine you were using)

I guess the simulator is meant for something else... well.. I tried it
since this was one of the options without serial line/tcp-ip connection...
(I didn't find a load command)

anyway.. I guess it's the 'exec' target I should go for...

I *did* provide target exec with an existing exe file.. (if not it
would have complained)...

and... I *did* get a lot of non-critical errors when compiling... lots of
variables that wasn't used and stuff like that..

even when I just do "gdb dbtest" (from bash that is)... and after that
"run".. it shows me the same error... (the normal gdb would have started
to run the program)

I think it would have been WISE to set as default, that the program should
be run/debugged on the machine that gdb is running on..

I have a certain feeling that the average programmer normally debugs his
code on the machine dgb is actually running on...

(I'm *not* trying to be rude)

thanks for actually reading my mail!

---

@ 2000-01-25 16:54     ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 2000-01-25 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rune Elvemo; +Cc: James Ingham, insight

Rune,

Well...  As it turns out, the version of gdb is sourceware doesn't
contain the patches to support LinuxPPC yet.

This situation should be fixed before too long.  We have patches that
work now, but they are not done right (they duplicate functionality
that should be shared between the PPC & RS6000 ports).  The fellow who
did the original port has been trying to steal a little time to merge
the two, but so far he has been kept too busy with other tasks...  Sigh...

Sorry.

Jim.

@ 2000-01-26  3:57       ` Rune Elvemo
From: Rune Elvemo @ 2000-01-26  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Ingham; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, James Ingham wrote:

> Rune,
>
> Well...  As it turns out, the version of gdb is sourceware doesn't
> contain the patches to support LinuxPPC yet.
> [...]

maybe you wouldn't know about this.. but could I expect to see a release
that would work on PPC machinese by somewhere in February ???

thanks for caring about us PPC/big-endian people anyway!
(there are LOTS of others who make x86/little-endian only products)

btw: seems like you guys put out new snapshots of Insight every week...
(that's GREAT! ;)

keep up the good work!

---