public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-21  5:32 Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-21  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java, mingw-users

I'm having trouble getting

gcc-java-4.6.2.tar

working under windows 7 mingw32. I have read the instructions with that download,
and find that key scripts just don't want to work.  I have also become aware
of the instructions at

http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html

which claims that gcj inside windows can be done

-Is there a simple set of commands I can use to get my compiler download
built and working?

Can someone please help?

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-21 10:14 ` David Paterson
From: David Paterson @ 2012-02-21 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java, mingw-users

On 21 February 2012 05:32, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting
>
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> working under windows 7 mingw32. I have read the instructions with that download,
> and find that key scripts just don't want to work.  I have also become aware
> of the instructions at
>
> http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
>
> which claims that gcj inside windows can be done
>

> -Is there a simple set of commands I can use to get my compiler download
> built and working?
>
> Can someone please help?

Well, I can't help directly, since I've no experience with GCJ (I'm
only using C/C++) but the page you linked to gives fairly detailed
instructions on getting it running.  Have you tried following these?

You can set up a dual boot with Linux very easily, and I think that
would be the easiest approach if you don't have access to a separate
Linux machine.

David P.

* GCJ on Linux
@ 2012-02-21 10:30   ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-21 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java, gcc-help

Does gcj on Linux give the option to compile for windows?

Can someone tell me what the appropriate windows switch is?

I have a 64 bit Linux OS install.  IS there a 32 bit compile switch, and does anyone know it?

* Re: GCJ on Linux
@ 2012-02-21 11:25     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-21 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: java, gcc-help

On 21 February 2012 10:30, Me Myself and I wrote:

> Does gcj on Linux give the option to compile for windows?

No.  GNU/Linux and Windows have entirely different, incompatible
runtime environments, you can't just say "I want this to run on
Windows" and expect a GNU/Linux compiler to link to the Windows
runtime.  You'd need a cross-compiler targeting Windows, as described
at rmathew's document that you've been posting, which would need
copies of all the Windows runtime files (i.e. the binaries for
"mingw-runtime" and "w32api")

> Can someone tell me what the appropriate windows switch is?
>
> I have a 64 bit Linux OS install.  IS there a 32 bit compile switch, and does anyone know it?

Assuming you're talking about x86, it's -m32, as documented in the GCC manual.

Maybe it would be easier to just run normal Java code on Windows,
instead of compiling to native code with gcj.

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-21 11:27 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-21 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 21 February 2012 05:32, Me Myself and I wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting
>
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> working under windows 7 mingw32. I have read the instructions with that download,
> and find that key scripts just don't want to work.

You realise you also need gcc-core-4.6.2.tar to use that tarball, right?

If that's the only file you've downloaded you only have the
java-specific parts of GCC, but you need the actual compiler itself.

* RE: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  1:54   ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-22  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jwakely.gcc, gcc-help, java

I have downloaded

gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
gcc-java-4.6.2.tar

I have found that the both contain a directory named

gcc-4.6.2       107 Mb
gcc-4.6.2       151 Mb

What do I name what, and what should I do from here to
build the gcc (presumably first), followed by my gcj?

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  2:08     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-22  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 22 February 2012 01:53, Me Myself and I wrote:

> I have downloaded
>
> gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> I have found that the both contain a directory named
>
> gcc-4.6.2       107 Mb
> gcc-4.6.2       151 Mb
>
> What do I name what, and what should I do from here to
> build the gcc (presumably first), followed by my gcj?

You don't name anything, just unpack them into the same directory and
follow the instructions at http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
(and http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for more general
instructions)

GCJ will be built as part of GCC, you don't build it separately afterwards.

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  2:11       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-22  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 22 February 2012 02:08, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 22 February 2012 01:53, Me Myself and I wrote:
>>
>> I have downloaded
>>
>> gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
>> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>>
>> I have found that the both contain a directory named
>>
>> gcc-4.6.2       107 Mb
>> gcc-4.6.2       151 Mb
>>
>> What do I name what, and what should I do from here to
>> build the gcc (presumably first), followed by my gcj?
>
> You don't name anything, just unpack them into the same directory and
> follow the instructions at http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
> (and http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for more general
> instructions)
>
> GCJ will be built as part of GCC, you don't build it separately afterwards.

The full process of building GCC is documented at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ which you apparently haven't read, despite
spending several days insisting someone must be able to help you,
because downloading the sources is described at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html and you don't even seem to
have got that far yet.  You should really all read those docs first.

* RE: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  3:02       ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-22  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java, jwakely.gcc

I understand that with this arrangement, and these sorts of commands,
I am building a Native Compiler for C,C++ and Java

$PWD/../gcc-4.6.2/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.6.2
make
make install

-Do I gain Java Tiger 1.5 Syntax support with the file versions I have used?
-I am doing this inside mingw32.  What directory should I specify by --prefix,
and should I specify this same directory inside my /etc/profile PATH variable
initialisations?