public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-21  5:32 Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-21  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java, mingw-users

I'm having trouble getting

gcc-java-4.6.2.tar

working under windows 7 mingw32. I have read the instructions with that download,
and find that key scripts just don't want to work.  I have also become aware
of the instructions at

http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html

which claims that gcj inside windows can be done

-Is there a simple set of commands I can use to get my compiler download
built and working?

Can someone please help?

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-21 10:14 ` David Paterson
From: David Paterson @ 2012-02-21 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java, mingw-users

On 21 February 2012 05:32, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting
>
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> working under windows 7 mingw32. I have read the instructions with that download,
> and find that key scripts just don't want to work.  I have also become aware
> of the instructions at
>
> http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
>
> which claims that gcj inside windows can be done
>

> -Is there a simple set of commands I can use to get my compiler download
> built and working?
>
> Can someone please help?

Well, I can't help directly, since I've no experience with GCJ (I'm
only using C/C++) but the page you linked to gives fairly detailed
instructions on getting it running.  Have you tried following these?

You can set up a dual boot with Linux very easily, and I think that
would be the easiest approach if you don't have access to a separate
Linux machine.

David P.

* GCJ on Linux
@ 2012-02-21 10:30   ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-21 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java, gcc-help

Does gcj on Linux give the option to compile for windows?

Can someone tell me what the appropriate windows switch is?

I have a 64 bit Linux OS install.  IS there a 32 bit compile switch, and does anyone know it?

* Re: GCJ on Linux
@ 2012-02-21 11:25     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-21 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: java, gcc-help

On 21 February 2012 10:30, Me Myself and I wrote:

> Does gcj on Linux give the option to compile for windows?

No.  GNU/Linux and Windows have entirely different, incompatible
runtime environments, you can't just say "I want this to run on
Windows" and expect a GNU/Linux compiler to link to the Windows
runtime.  You'd need a cross-compiler targeting Windows, as described
at rmathew's document that you've been posting, which would need
copies of all the Windows runtime files (i.e. the binaries for
"mingw-runtime" and "w32api")

> Can someone tell me what the appropriate windows switch is?
>
> I have a 64 bit Linux OS install.  IS there a 32 bit compile switch, and does anyone know it?

Assuming you're talking about x86, it's -m32, as documented in the GCC manual.

Maybe it would be easier to just run normal Java code on Windows,
instead of compiling to native code with gcj.

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-21 11:27 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-21 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 21 February 2012 05:32, Me Myself and I wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting
>
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> working under windows 7 mingw32. I have read the instructions with that download,
> and find that key scripts just don't want to work.

You realise you also need gcc-core-4.6.2.tar to use that tarball, right?

If that's the only file you've downloaded you only have the
java-specific parts of GCC, but you need the actual compiler itself.

* RE: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  1:54   ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-22  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jwakely.gcc, gcc-help, java

I have downloaded

gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
gcc-java-4.6.2.tar

I have found that the both contain a directory named

gcc-4.6.2       107 Mb
gcc-4.6.2       151 Mb

What do I name what, and what should I do from here to
build the gcc (presumably first), followed by my gcj?

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  2:08     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-22  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 22 February 2012 01:53, Me Myself and I wrote:

> I have downloaded
>
> gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>
> I have found that the both contain a directory named
>
> gcc-4.6.2       107 Mb
> gcc-4.6.2       151 Mb
>
> What do I name what, and what should I do from here to
> build the gcc (presumably first), followed by my gcj?

You don't name anything, just unpack them into the same directory and
follow the instructions at http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
(and http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for more general
instructions)

GCJ will be built as part of GCC, you don't build it separately afterwards.

* Re: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  2:11       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-02-22  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Me Myself and I; +Cc: gcc-help, java

On 22 February 2012 02:08, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 22 February 2012 01:53, Me Myself and I wrote:
>>
>> I have downloaded
>>
>> gcc-core-4.6.2.tar
>> gcc-java-4.6.2.tar
>>
>> I have found that the both contain a directory named
>>
>> gcc-4.6.2       107 Mb
>> gcc-4.6.2       151 Mb
>>
>> What do I name what, and what should I do from here to
>> build the gcc (presumably first), followed by my gcj?
>
> You don't name anything, just unpack them into the same directory and
> follow the instructions at http://rmathew.com/articles/gcj/bldgcj.html
> (and http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for more general
> instructions)
>
> GCJ will be built as part of GCC, you don't build it separately afterwards.

The full process of building GCC is documented at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ which you apparently haven't read, despite
spending several days insisting someone must be able to help you,
because downloading the sources is described at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html and you don't even seem to
have got that far yet.  You should really all read those docs first.

* RE: Please, there now has to be someone who can get this working!
@ 2012-02-22  3:02       ` Me Myself and I
From: Me Myself and I @ 2012-02-22  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, java, jwakely.gcc

I understand that with this arrangement, and these sorts of commands,
I am building a Native Compiler for C,C++ and Java

#-----------------------------------------------------------
$PWD/../gcc-4.6.2/configure --prefix=/opt/gcc-4.6.2
make
make install
#-----------------------------------------------------------

-Do I gain Java Tiger 1.5 Syntax support with the file versions I have used?
-I am doing this inside mingw32.  What directory should I specify by --prefix,
and should I specify this same directory inside my /etc/profile PATH variable
initialisations?

@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` Alexandre Petit-Bianco
From: Alexandre Petit-Bianco @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Zahra; +Cc: java-discuss, Peter Nicholson, Justin Urbanski

Andrew Zahra writes:

> We have just installed gcj on a Linux/intel machine. When we compile
> a trivial hello world program we get a segmentation violation. Does
> GCJ work under Linux on intel?

Yes. If you can build a test case containing code you can make public,
then you can file a PR ( http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl )
and someone will be able to tell you whether this is an already fixed,
known or new bug.

I'm assuming you're getting a compiler bug, as opposed to a runtime
bug. Am I right?

./A

* RE: GCJ on Linux
@ 2000-04-01  0:00 Andrew Zahra
From: Andrew Zahra @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boehm, Hans, java-discuss; +Cc: Peter Nicholson, Justin Urbanski

Title: RE: GCJ on Linux

Yes - it's a runtime failure. Sorry for not making that clear.

We'll grab the latest snapshot of GCJ and try it again on our system.

Assuming this is a runtime failure, it's likely to be caused by the fact that Mandrake 6.1 aparently uses a kernel configured for > 1GB physical memory.  This causes the main process stack to start at an address different from what the garbage collector expects.  This is fixed in more recent versions of the garbage collector.

Hans

From: Andrew Zahra @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java-discuss; +Cc: Peter Nicholson, Justin Urbanski

Title: GCJ on Linux