* Added consensus item about sorting Makefile lines.
@ 2023-05-16 12:01 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2023-05-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Community,

I added the following to consensus:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Consensus#Trivial_Bug-Fix_Changes
~~~
Anyone can commit a change to reformat a Makefile to use one value
per line (with trailing comment) where the variable is assigned
multiple values in one line. Such a change needs to clearly state
(in the commit message) if any code generation changes are observed
and the results of testing. The convenience script
scripts/sort-makefile-lines.py is provided to sort the lines between
the start and end markers.
~~~

Please feel empowered to cleanup any Makefiles we are using.

I'm about to commit a cleanup to the most used Makefiles that were
partially converted as each of us was added new lines.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Added consensus item about sorting Makefile lines.
@ 2023-05-16 12:26 ` Adhemerval Zanella Netto
From: Adhemerval Zanella Netto @ 2023-05-16 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 16/05/23 09:01, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
> Community,
>
> I added the following to consensus:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Consensus#Trivial_Bug-Fix_Changes
> ~~~
> Anyone can commit a change to reformat a Makefile to use one value
> per line (with trailing comment) where the variable is assigned
> multiple values in one line. Such a change needs to clearly state
> (in the commit message) if any code generation changes are observed
> and the results of testing. The convenience script
> scripts/sort-makefile-lines.py is provided to sort the lines between
> the start and end markers.
> ~~~
>
> Please feel empowered to cleanup any Makefiles we are using.
>
> I'm about to commit a cleanup to the most used Makefiles that were
> partially converted as each of us was added new lines.

Thanks for improve this Carlos.

* Re: Added consensus item about sorting Makefile lines.
@ 2023-05-17 12:06   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2023-05-17 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adhemerval Zanella Netto, libc-alpha

On 5/16/23 08:26, Adhemerval Zanella Netto wrote:

> On 16/05/23 09:01, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
>> Community,
>>
>> I added the following to consensus:
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Consensus#Trivial_Bug-Fix_Changes
>> ~~~
>> Anyone can commit a change to reformat a Makefile to use one value
>> per line (with trailing comment) where the variable is assigned
>> multiple values in one line. Such a change needs to clearly state
>> (in the commit message) if any code generation changes are observed
>> and the results of testing. The convenience script
>> scripts/sort-makefile-lines.py is provided to sort the lines between
>> the start and end markers.
>> ~~~
>>
>> Please feel empowered to cleanup any Makefiles we are using.
>>
>> I'm about to commit a cleanup to the most used Makefiles that were
>> partially converted as each of us was added new lines.
>>

> Thanks for improve this Carlos.

You are welcome! Please feel free to cleanup other Makefiles.

I've pushed the initial set of cleanups.

There are ~200 Makefiles that could do with cleanup.

My idea here is a `make check` linting pass that fails if the sort program
detects a difference after sorting. This way we don't regress the ordering.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.