* manpage of register_printf_specifier
@ 2021-03-28 16:24 Peng Yu
From: Peng Yu @ 2021-03-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

Hi,

I don't find the manpage of register_printf_specifier (I checked on
Linux). Is it available anywhere?

I also checked a few other functions in printf.h. But I don't find
their manpages. Are the manpages of printf.h available?

--
Regards,
Peng

* Re: manpage of register_printf_specifier
@ 2021-03-28 16:32 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-03-28 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Yu; +Cc: libc-help

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:24:28AM -0500, Peng Yu via Libc-help wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't find the manpage of register_printf_specifier (I checked on
> Linux). Is it available anywhere?
>
> I also checked a few other functions in printf.h. But I don't find
> their manpages. Are the manpages of printf.h available?

Hah. A friend of mine is working on one, AFAIK for the Linux documentation
project. I was trying to free some time to translate it to info.

I'll ask him whether it's published anywhere.

Cheers
 - tomás

* Re: manpage of register_printf_specifier
@ 2021-03-28 16:40   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-03-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Yu; +Cc: libc-help

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 06:32:34PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:24:28AM -0500, Peng Yu via Libc-help wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't find the manpage of register_printf_specifier (I checked on
> > Linux). Is it available anywhere?
> >
> > I also checked a few other functions in printf.h. But I don't find
> > their manpages. Are the manpages of printf.h available?
>
> Hah. A friend of mine is working on one, AFAIK for the Linux documentation
> project. I was trying to free some time to translate it to info.

OK. More details:

  - register_printf_function is, AFAIK an old interface and is
    deprecated, although I'd double-check with people here, who
    definitely know more than me.
    That said, it's documented in the libc Info file, or, if
    you prefer Web browsers, here:

    https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Registering-New-Conversions.html

  - these days one is supposed to use the pair register_printf_specifier,
    register_printf_type; man pages, as I said, coming soon.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: manpage of register_printf_specifier
@ 2021-03-29  3:59   ` Peng Yu
From: Peng Yu @ 2021-03-29  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: libc-help

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:32 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:24:28AM -0500, Peng Yu via Libc-help wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't find the manpage of register_printf_specifier (I checked on
> > Linux). Is it available anywhere?
> >
> > I also checked a few other functions in printf.h. But I don't find
> > their manpages. Are the manpages of printf.h available?
>
> Hah. A friend of mine is working on one, AFAIK for the Linux documentation
> project. I was trying to free some time to translate it to info.
>
> I'll ask him whether it's published anywhere.
>
> Cheers
>  - tomás

Is there a portable way to support more format strings in printf?

--

@ 2021-03-29  8:08     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2021-03-29  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Yu via Libc-help

* Peng Yu via Libc-help:

> Is there a portable way to support more format strings in printf?

No, these interfaces are very much non-standard and not widely
implemented.