public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* Disabled tests
@ 2005-11-29 13:52 Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2005-11-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

What do we do with failing tests?

The reason I ask is that I just noticed that the listRoots test in
gnu/testlet/java/io/File/security.java has been disabled in a totally
non-obvious way.  Should I reenable it?

Cheers,
Gary

* Re: Disabled tests
@ 2005-11-29 14:16 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2005-11-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Benson; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Hi Gary,

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:51 +0000, Gary Benson wrote:
> What do we do with failing tests?

I think we should have xfail files for them.
But currently we don't really have up to date ones.
And in the past various runtimes had completely different failure
behavior making it unclear what the "correct" xfail file would be.

I hope the work of Edwin from teh Cacao team will help here since the
produce lists of common failures between runtimes.

> The reason I ask is that I just noticed that the listRoots test in
> gnu/testlet/java/io/File/security.java has been disabled in a totally
> non-obvious way.  Should I reenable it?

I think so. I have worked on this, but it is so obscure that I cannot
really see the how and what should be happening here. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Disabled tests
@ 2005-11-29 15:58   ` Gary Benson
From: Gary Benson @ 2005-11-29 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:51 +0000, Gary Benson wrote:
> > What do we do with failing tests?
>
> I think we should have xfail files for them.  But currently we don't
> really have up to date ones.  And in the past various runtimes had
> completely different failure behavior making it unclear what the
> "correct" xfail file would be.
>
> I hope the work of Edwin from teh Cacao team will help here since
> the produce lists of common failures between runtimes.
>
> > The reason I ask is that I just noticed that the listRoots test in
> > gnu/testlet/java/io/File/security.java has been disabled in a
> > totally non-obvious way.  Should I reenable it?
>
> I think so. I have worked on this, but it is so obscure that I
> cannot really see the how and what should be happening here. Sorry
> about that.

In this case there's nothing saying why it's disabled.  The initial
revision (1.1, July 2003) had the test: it was commented out in the
next commit (1.2, March 2004) which was a total rewrite of the whole
file.  I don't think the test ever passed in Classpath, so it's
possible the guy disabled it while he was rewriting and then forgot to
reenable it before the commit.

The javadoc here makes is pretty clear what needs checking.
Does anyone mind if I reenable it?

Cheers,
Gary

* Re: Disabled tests