public inbox for mauve-discuss@sourceware.org
* RE: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10 10:28 Jeroen Frijters
From: Jeroen Frijters @ 2005-09-10 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Olsson, mauve-discuss

Martin Olsson wrote:
> Someone on IRC said that there is atleast one other guy that uses
> Windows for Mauve development (Jeroen?). If anyone can provide
> information how I can setup a proper Mauve-compatible dev
> environment on Windows please drop me a line.

I use TortoiseCVS (a cvs client that integrates with the Windows
Explorer) and I too have a couple of problems with the naming of some
files. Since it were only a few tests I never bothered to
investigate/fix it.

For building Mauve I simply do:
dir /s/b *.java > allsources.lst
<manually edit allsources.lst to remove stuff I don't want>
jikes -target 1.3 -g -nowarn -classpath \jdk1.5\jre\lib\rt.jar
@allsources.lst

(What can I say, I'm a low tech kind of person ;-))

Regards,
Jeroen

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-16 18:12       ` Meskauskas Audrius
From: Meskauskas Audrius @ 2005-09-16 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey, mauve-discuss

Yes, of course, but the primary idea was to have all this running under
Windows. You
are probably talking about the Linux environment.

Tom Tromey wrote:

>Audrius> I created Eclipse project from existing Mauve sources using "New ->
>Audrius> Java project from existing Ant build file". Then the build is
>Audrius> initiated as "Run as -> Ant build" in the context menu on build.xml in
>Audrius> the Package Explorer view.
>
>Mauve is already set up in Eclipse as a plain old java project, where
>the internal eclipse builder is used.  I think this is preferable as
>it yields a nicer development environment...
>
>Also in my setup, the mauve project depends on having a Classpath
>project in the same workspace, the idea being that mauve will be built
>against the just-built Classpath.  I also have it depending on a jamvm
>project, to make it really easy to run mauve against classpath from
>inside Eclipse.  I haven't checked this part in yet.
>
>Tom

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-16 17:08     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2005-09-16 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: audriusa; +Cc: mauve-discuss

@ 2005-09-10 17:15   ` Meskauskas Audrius
From: Meskauskas Audrius @ 2005-09-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauve-discuss

Martin Olsson writes:

> > I would like to write some test cases for the GNU classpath project. I
> > fetched Mauve from CVS (using eclipse "create project from cvs") but I
> > ran into a whole bunch of errors

I created Eclipse project from existing Mauve sources using "New -> Java
project from existing Ant build file". Then the build is initiated as
"Run as -> Ant build" in the context menu on build.xml in the Package
Explorer view.

Audrius.

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10 14:49         ` Dalibor Topic
From: Dalibor Topic @ 2005-09-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Olsson; +Cc: audriusa, mauve-discuss

Martin Olsson wrote:
> When and if someone fixes the naming problems you got atleast one more
> developer going into the project; me.

Good, let's do it.

> If my Eclipse error log is complete it's a matter of renaming at a very
> minimum say 25 files (or the corresponding dirs ofc). But it would be
> much nicer to have a consistant naming for the entire directory
> structure. I would definately vote for renaming the classes that test
> class Xxxx to XxxxClass instead of Xxxx_ because I think the first name
> is more descriptive and would confuse mauve newcomers less.

I'd say, go with XxxClass to rename the classes, rather than
packages/directories. Can you send in a patch?

As for consistency, I guess one could spend a lot of time arguing for
the most consistent naming of all the test cases, but ... let's just
leave it as it as long as no pressing reason comes up, and do the
minimally invasive thing. When someone wants to check out mauve on a DOS
FAT file system, we can worry about the 8+3 naming limitations then, for
example.

cheers,
dalibor topic

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10 10:18       ` Martin Olsson
From: Martin Olsson @ 2005-09-10 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: audriusa; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:
> No, I understand. You want to contribute to GNU Classpath project by
> writing new Mauve tests. But just for this you do not need to run all
> EXISTING Mauve tests.

I would really much rater be able to runs all the tests too and they
would also be good for reference when I need to check how some problem
was solved earlier. And in the long run I'm hoping that my contribution
to Mauve will enable me to learn more about the classpath project so
that I will be able to contribute to the actual classpath code later.

David Gilbert wrote:
 > It won't be easy to run all the tests on Windows initially, but I
 > think if we can solve the problem of checking out the CVS into
 > Eclipse on Windows, it won't be long before someone writes a
 > utility to make it simple to compile and run all (or a selected
 > subset of) the tests.  And if the end result is more developers
 > working on Mauve, then I think it is worth the effort.

When and if someone fixes the naming problems you got atleast one more
developer going into the project; me.

If my Eclipse error log is complete it's a matter of renaming at a very
minimum say 25 files (or the corresponding dirs ofc). But it would be
much nicer to have a consistant naming for the entire directory
structure. I would definately vote for renaming the classes that test
class Xxxx to XxxxClass instead of Xxxx_ because I think the first name
is more descriptive and would confuse mauve newcomers less.

regards,
martin

> Martin Olsson wrote:
>

>> I think you misunderstood; I actually intend to write tests for GNU
>> classpath.
>>

>> regards,
>> martin
>>

>> Meskauskas Audrius wrote:
>>
>>> As your purpose is to just write some new tests and not to test GNU
>>> Classpath, the simplest and easiest way would be without much
>>> thinking to delete all tests.

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10  8:58 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2005-09-10  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Olsson; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Martin Olsson writes:

 > I would like to write some test cases for the GNU classpath project. I
 > fetched Mauve from CVS (using eclipse "create project from cvs") but I
 > ran into a whole bunch of errors:
 >
 > http://mnemo.minimum.se/error.txt
 >
 > I think these errors are related to me running Windows 2000 and windows
 > does not allow a file called "Color" and a dir called "color".

Well, this should be pretty easy to fix by renaming a few files.  This
would be a good patch for Mauve.

Andrew.

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10  7:59       ` David Gilbert
From: David Gilbert @ 2005-09-10  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: audriusa; +Cc: Martin Olsson, mauve-discuss

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:

> Of course, it is worthwhile to learn how to to run a complete Mauve
> test set, and how to build Classpath, and join the main project
> developing and so on. All this would be great from your side, but it
> takes time and may not be easy under Windows.

It won't be easy to run all the tests on Windows initially, but I think
if we can solve the problem of checking out the CVS into Eclipse on
Windows, it won't be long before someone writes a utility to make it
simple to compile and run all (or a selected subset of) the tests.  And
if the end result is more developers working on Mauve, then I think it
is worth the effort.

Regards,

Dave

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10  7:35     ` Meskauskas Audrius
From: Meskauskas Audrius @ 2005-09-10  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Olsson, mauve-discuss

No, I understand. You want to contribute to GNU Classpath project by
writing new Mauve tests. But just for this you do not need to run all
EXISTING Mauve tests. The existing tests are used to ensure that the new
changes in GNU Classpath library itself do not introduce regressions,
that nothing is spoiled while improving another part. You can write and
run your tests on Sun's jre even without trying to build Classpath
itself. After you commit them to CVS, others will run them on Classpath
and use the results of your tests..

Of course, it is worthwhile to learn how to to run a complete Mauve test
set, and how to build Classpath, and join the main project developing
and so on. All this would be great from your side, but it takes time and
may not be easy under Windows. The new Mauve tests are very important
for us; our coverage is still not sufficient. There are still several
important packages where no single class is covered. You told me you
want to join us by writing new Mauve tests, I explained how to set up
the developing platform in the fastest possible way.

Regards.
Audrius.

Martin Olsson wrote:

> I think you misunderstood; I actually intend to write tests for GNU
> classpath.
>

> regards,
> martin
>

> Meskauskas Audrius wrote:
>
>> As your purpose is to just write some new tests and not to test GNU
>> Classpath, the simplest and easiest way would be without much
>> thinking to delete all tests.
>

>>> I would like to write some test cases for the GNU classpath project.
>>> I fetched Mauve from CVS (using eclipse "create project from cvs")
>>> but I ran into a whole bunch of errors:
>>>
>>> http://mnemo.minimum.se/error.txt
>>>
>>> I think these errors are related to me running Windows 2000 and
>>> windows does not allow a file called "Color" and a dir called "color".
>>>
>>> Someone on IRC said that there is atleast one other guy that uses
>>> Windows for Mauve development (Jeroen?). If anyone can provide
>>> information how I can setup a proper Mauve-compatible dev
>>> environment on Windows please drop me a line.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> I also have another question, how do I know what test cases are
>>> missing and needs to be implemented?
>>>

>>> rgrds
>>> martin

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-10  6:47 ` David Gilbert
From: David Gilbert @ 2005-09-10  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Olsson; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Martin Olsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to write some test cases for the GNU classpath project. I
> fetched Mauve from CVS (using eclipse "create project from cvs") but I
> ran into a whole bunch of errors:
>
> http://mnemo.minimum.se/error.txt
>
> I think these errors are related to me running Windows 2000 and
> windows does not allow a file called "Color" and a dir called "color".

I ran into the same problem a while back when I was stuck with a Windows
machine for a week.  Perhaps we could resolve it by renaming the Color
directory (containing tests for the Color class) to 'ColorClass' or
'Color_'?  And the same for any other name clashes (e.g. Font and font).

> Someone on IRC said that there is atleast one other guy that uses
> Windows for Mauve development (Jeroen?). If anyone can provide
> information how I can setup a proper Mauve-compatible dev environment
> on Windows please drop me a line.
>
> ---
>
> I also have another question, how do I know what test cases are
> missing and needs to be implemented?

For the majority of the tests, the test class name matches the name of
the method it is testing.  So scanning the source tree is one way to see
which methods have (at least some) tests.

There is also a utility in CVS for generating some HTML pages for the
results of a Mauve run:

gnu.testlet.runner.Mauve

These pages are organised by package/class, so that is another way to
see the existing coverage.

Regards,

Dave Gilbert

> rgrds
> martin

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-09 23:54   ` Martin Olsson
From: Martin Olsson @ 2005-09-09 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: audriusa; +Cc: mauve-discuss

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:
> As your purpose is to just write some new tests and not to test GNU
> Classpath, the simplest and easiest way would be without much thinking
> to delete all tests.
 >
>> I would like to write some test cases for the GNU classpath project. I
>> fetched Mauve from CVS (using eclipse "create project from cvs") but I
>> ran into a whole bunch of errors:
>>
>> http://mnemo.minimum.se/error.txt
>>
>> I think these errors are related to me running Windows 2000 and
>> windows does not allow a file called "Color" and a dir called "color".
>>
>> Someone on IRC said that there is atleast one other guy that uses
>> Windows for Mauve development (Jeroen?). If anyone can provide
>> information how I can setup a proper Mauve-compatible dev environment
>> on Windows please drop me a line.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I also have another question, how do I know what test cases are
>> missing and needs to be implemented?
>>

>> rgrds
>> martin

* Re: Mauve coding on Windows
@ 2005-09-09 20:01 ` Meskauskas Audrius
From: Meskauskas Audrius @ 2005-09-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Olsson, mauve-discuss

As your purpose is to just write some new tests and not to test GNU
Classpath, the simplest and easiest way would be without much thinking
to delete all tests.

Store the unmodified copy of the source. Then remove
'BinaryCompatibility', 'gnu', 'java', 'javax', 'locales' and 'org' from
gnu/testlet. Try to build. Errors will be reported in
gnu/testlet/config.java, because the generated file names contain the
'\' character (separator under Windows!). Open that file and replace the
'\' by '\\' in all strings. Try to build again. Should succeed. Now,
look at the contents  the previously deleted gnu/testlet/java,
gnu/testlet/javax and so on, to see how the tests look like and that
rules the folder system follows. All tests implement the Testlet
interface and has the line like "// Tags: JDK1.4" on the top. The Mauve
framework is rather clear, you will understand. Try to move back,
compile and run several tests that would look simple for you.

If still fails, check:

1. If Eclipse has copied all source files into the project folder in
workspace.
2. If your Ant is properly installed and added to the project build path.

Martin Olsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to write some test cases for the GNU classpath project. I
> fetched Mauve from CVS (using eclipse "create project from cvs") but I
> ran into a whole bunch of errors:
>
> http://mnemo.minimum.se/error.txt
>
> I think these errors are related to me running Windows 2000 and
> windows does not allow a file called "Color" and a dir called "color".
>
> Someone on IRC said that there is atleast one other guy that uses
> Windows for Mauve development (Jeroen?). If anyone can provide
> information how I can setup a proper Mauve-compatible dev environment
> on Windows please drop me a line.
>
> ---
>
> I also have another question, how do I know what test cases are
> missing and needs to be implemented?
>

> rgrds
> martin

* Mauve coding on Windows