public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* newlib-4.4.0 yearly snapshot created
@ 2023-12-31 17:23 Jeff Johnston
From: Jeff Johnston @ 2023-12-31 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Newlib

The 4.4.0 snapshot has been created and uploaded to the ftp site.  For
details on changes, see the NEWS file.

If there are any issues, I'll have to deal with them in the New Year.

Thanks everyone for contributing last minute changes to handle the
c99/gcc-14 issues and thanks to all who made contributions/reviews this
year.  Special thanks to Corinna for leading the project and reviewing the
lion's share of the code.

Happy New Year everyone,

-- Jeff J.

* Re: newlib-4.4.0 yearly snapshot created
@ 2024-01-01 15:30 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2024-01-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnston; +Cc: Newlib

On 31 Dec 2023 12:23, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> The 4.4.0 snapshot has been created and uploaded to the ftp site.  For
> details on changes, see the NEWS file.

update the website too when you get a chance ?  i think only a few people
have write access to that vs the main newlib git repo.
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: newlib-4.4.0 yearly snapshot created
@ 2024-01-04 16:01 ` Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2024-01-04 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnston; +Cc: newlib

       Hi Jeff,

for what concerns the accuracy of math functions, the issue with huge error
in pow (https://sourceware.org/pipermail/newlib/2023/020164.html) seems to
have been fixed in 4.4.0, thanks!

However, the regression for tgammaf(-1) with respect to 4.2.0 is still there:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/newlib/2023/020170.html.

Happy New Year,
Paul Zimmermann

@ 2024-01-04 18:44   ` Jeff Johnston
From: Jeff Johnston @ 2024-01-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Zimmermann; +Cc: newlib

Hi Paul, the problem you reported hasn't been solved yet and the
snapshot is just a snapshot in time of the repo.

Looking at the logs, I only see the following gamma change that occurs
between 4.2.0 and 4.3.0:

commit ec69debcb977d6395f9e91ee20133de473484e20
Author: Andoni Arregi <andoni.arregui@gtd-gmbh.de>
Date:   Fri Feb 11 12:16:00 2022 +0100

    Improve lgammaf range for very small cases

    The original cut for small arguments at |x|<2**-70 (copied from the
    double version) produces that when computing nadj we get a subnormal
    number for t*x and thus, the division of pi/subnormal will be INF and
    the logarithm of it too, which is wrong as a result for lgammaf in this
    range.
    The proposed new limit seems to be safe and has been tested to
    produce accurate results.
    (Courtesy of Andreas Jung, ESA)

I don't think this should have caused the regression you are seeing with -1
as input, but can you confirm
if it is?  Otherwise, can you use the git bisect in concert with your test
to determine the
source of the regression?

Thanks,

-- Jeff J.

@ 2024-01-05  9:25     ` Paul Zimmermann
From: Paul Zimmermann @ 2024-01-05  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Johnston; +Cc: newlib

       Hi Jeff,

I did investigate. In fact I now get the issue with tgammaf even with
Newlib 4.2.0. It might be due to a change in the compiler used (I now use
gcc 13.2.0) or in my testing framework.

Can you reproduce the issue?

For the binary64 pow function, the accuracy has greatly improved with respect
to 4.2.0. We got an error of up to 636 ulps, and now the largest error I get
after a few tests is 0.892 ulp, which is better than the Intel Math Library
for this function (1.73 ulp).

Paul

@ 2024-01-05 21:53       ` Jeff Johnston
From: Jeff Johnston @ 2024-01-05 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)