* updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
@ 2017-04-26 14:49 Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2017-04-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi.  I hack in binutils, GDB, and other projects hosted in sourceware
with my work account jose.marchesi@oracle.com.

I can add comments to bugzilla entries, but I can't modify the status
(nor other fields) of issues reported by others.

Is there a way I could do that?  I need to be able to mark the issues I
fix as fixed.

Thanks!

* Re: updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
@ 2017-04-26 14:57 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-04-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi, overseers

On 04/26/2017 10:49 AM, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
> Hi.  I hack in binutils, GDB, and other projects hosted in sourceware
> with my work account jose.marchesi@oracle.com.
>
> I can add comments to bugzilla entries, but I can't modify the status
> (nor other fields) of issues reported by others.
>
> Is there a way I could do that?  I need to be able to mark the issues I
> fix as fixed.

You lack 'editbugs', this is part of our policy to reduce spammers from
editing existing bugs in the bugzilla.

The 'editbugs' access is a community whitelist, in that others could bless
you with it if you ask them. Since you're asking I've just blessed you with
editbugs, and the ability to bless others.

This should be fixed for you now.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
@ 2017-04-26 15:14   ` Jose E. Marchesi
From: Jose E. Marchesi @ 2017-04-26 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers

Hi Carlos.

    > Hi.  I hack in binutils, GDB, and other projects hosted in sourceware
    > with my work account jose.marchesi@oracle.com.
    >
    > I can add comments to bugzilla entries, but I can't modify the status
    > (nor other fields) of issues reported by others.
    >
    > Is there a way I could do that?  I need to be able to mark the issues I
    > fix as fixed.

    You lack 'editbugs', this is part of our policy to reduce spammers from
    editing existing bugs in the bugzilla.

    The 'editbugs' access is a community whitelist, in that others could bless
    you with it if you ask them. Since you're asking I've just blessed you with
    editbugs, and the ability to bless others.

    This should be fixed for you now.

Thanks, re-bless you! :)

* Re: updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
@ 2017-04-26 15:54 ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2017-04-26 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose E. Marchesi, Pedro Alves; +Cc: overseers

On 04/26/2017 10:49 AM, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

> Hi.  I hack in binutils, GDB, and other projects hosted in sourceware
> with my work account jose.marchesi@oracle.com.
>
> I can add comments to bugzilla entries, but I can't modify the status
> (nor other fields) of issues reported by others.
>
> Is there a way I could do that?  I need to be able to mark the issues I
> fix as fixed.

Pedro,

I've already fixed Jose's account, but this information is only on the
glibc side here:

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Bugzilla%20Procedures
~~~
B0. The bug tracker is Bugzilla on sourceware.org. New users do not have
the editbugs group access which means that while they can create bugs
they cannot edit any aspects of the bug once created. This is done to
avoid spammers modifying existing bugs. If you need the ability to edit
bugs please request it on libc-alpha@sourceware.org or on IRC freenode
at #glibc, the bugzilla admins and senior members of the community can
grant this access once they know you're not a spammer.
~~~

Do we need something similar on the gdb wiki?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
@ 2017-04-26 18:54   ` Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2017-04-26 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, Jose E. Marchesi; +Cc: overseers

On 04/26/2017 04:54 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 04/26/2017 10:49 AM, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
>>
>> Hi.  I hack in binutils, GDB, and other projects hosted in sourceware
>> with my work account jose.marchesi@oracle.com.
>>
>> I can add comments to bugzilla entries, but I can't modify the status
>> (nor other fields) of issues reported by others.
>>
>> Is there a way I could do that?  I need to be able to mark the issues I
>> fix as fixed.
>
> Pedro,
>
> I've already fixed Jose's account, but this information is only on the
> glibc side here:
>
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Bugzilla%20Procedures

Nice page!   I may well steal/adapt it for GDB when I have a chance.

> ~~~
> B0. The bug tracker is Bugzilla on sourceware.org. New users do not have
> the editbugs group access which means that while they can create bugs
> they cannot edit any aspects of the bug once created. This is done to
> avoid spammers modifying existing bugs. If you need the ability to edit
> bugs please request it on libc-alpha@sourceware.org or on IRC freenode
> at #glibc, the bugzilla admins and senior members of the community can
> grant this access once they know you're not a spammer.
> ~~~
>
> Do we need something similar on the gdb wiki?

Yes, I think so.

For now I put it on GDB's version of the contribution checklist:

 https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ContributionChecklist

I wonder whether we have somewhere a central place that includes information
relevant to all products that the single bugzilla instance holds, not just
glibc and gdb.  (binutils, cygwin, elfutils, systemtap, etc.)
Then all the different projects could reference it.  There's the sourceware.org
website of course, though that's not very convenient to edit.  Does sourceware.org
have a "sourceware" wiki?  Or we could create such a page in one of the project's
wikis and bless it as "cross project page".  Anyway, just an idea that crossed my
mind, there's not really that much information that I'm off hand thinking
we'd put there.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves

* Re: updating bugzilla entries in sourceware.org
@ 2017-04-26 19:59     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2017-04-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Alves; +Cc: Carlos O'Donell, Jose E. Marchesi, overseers

On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 19:54 +0100, Pedro Alves wrote:
> I wonder whether we have somewhere a central place that includes information
> relevant to all products that the single bugzilla instance holds, not just
> glibc and gdb.  (binutils, cygwin, elfutils, systemtap, etc.)
> Then all the different projects could reference it.  There's the sourceware.org
> website of course, though that's not very convenient to edit.  Does sourceware.org
> have a "sourceware" wiki?  Or we could create such a page in one of the project's
> wikis and bless it as "cross project page".  Anyway, just an idea that crossed my
> mind, there's not really that much information that I'm off hand thinking
> we'd put there.

It would be nice to have some shared page for project admins when
referring people to:

- Bugzilla accounts
  (the above editbugs discussion, spam measures, etc.)
- Commit accounts
  (https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi
   ssh troubleshooting, updating ssh keys, email forwards)
- Mailinglist instructions
  (https://sourceware.org/lists.html#ml-requestor
   how to whitelist yourself, attachements/HTML policies, etc.)

Cheers,

Mark