* rename: narrowing it down
@ 2000-05-11  9:02 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-05-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

OK, I've gotten a *lot* of suggestions for new names.  Now it is time
to start weeding out the good ones from the rest.  I've suggested 3
finalists: sources.redhat.com, workshop.redhat.com, and
garage.redhat.com.  All 3 of these make sense to me (according to the
criteria I gave) and have received positive feedback from someone
other than the original person suggesting them.

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/sourceware/rename.html

Other suggested finalists?  I'm not (any longer) looking for long
lists of ideas, I'm looking for more detailed thinking on the best 3
or 5 or so names so we can then pick between those.

* Re: rename: narrowing it down
@ 2000-05-11 10:58   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2000-05-11 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

I like Sources.redhat.com, but I see your point that it might imply it
contains "all the source to Red Hat's products".  Solution: make sure
it does, or at least point to it.  I.e. if you call it
sources.redhat.com, then it should have a prominent pointer to where
source rpms, and other source to open-source redhat code.  It doesn't
have to be on the site itself, but there should be a pointer.  On the
other hand, if you want to compete with sourceforge, perhaps you don't
want to make the reference to redhat sources *too* prominent on the
page - but it must be prominentenough that people looking for redhat
sources can find them.

The same comments may apply to some of the other suggestions, but
less strongly.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: rename: narrowing it down
@ 2000-05-12  9:58     ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2000-05-12  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

I like sources.redhat.com too. I see no reason it couldn't interface to
ftp.gnu.org or freshmeat or whatever for an index of source packages.

On 11 May 2000, Per Bothner wrote:

> I like Sources.redhat.com, but I see your point that it might imply it
> contains "all the source to Red Hat's products".  Solution: make sure
> it does, or at least point to it.  I.e. if you call it
> sources.redhat.com, then it should have a prominent pointer to where
> source rpms, and other source to open-source redhat code.  It doesn't
> have to be on the site itself, but there should be a pointer.  On the
> other hand, if you want to compete with sourceforge, perhaps you don't
> want to make the reference to redhat sources *too* prominent on the
> page - but it must be prominentenough that people looking for redhat
> sources can find them.
>
> The same comments may apply to some of the other suggestions, but
> less strongly.
> --
> 	--Per Bothner
> per@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/~per/

* LAST CALL on sources.redhat.com
@ 2000-05-15 13:17   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-05-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Due to popular demand, sources.redhat.com is the presumed champion for
the site's new name.  Now is your last chance to object.  If no one
does, we will move to the implementation phase.

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: overseers

I like sources.redhat.com too. I see no reason it couldn't interface to
ftp.gnu.org or freshmeat or whatever for an index of source packages.

On 11 May 2000, Per Bothner wrote:

> I like Sources.redhat.com, but I see your point that it might imply it
> contains "all the source to Red Hat's products".  Solution: make sure
> it does, or at least point to it.  I.e. if you call it
> sources.redhat.com, then it should have a prominent pointer to where
> source rpms, and other source to open-source redhat code.  It doesn't
> have to be on the site itself, but there should be a pointer.  On the
> other hand, if you want to compete with sourceforge, perhaps you don't
> want to make the reference to redhat sources *too* prominent on the
> page - but it must be prominentenough that people looking for redhat
> sources can find them.
>
> The same comments may apply to some of the other suggestions, but
> less strongly.
> --
> 	--Per Bothner
> per@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/~per/