* [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-06-26 17:58 ` Chris Faylor
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-26 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Does anyone have any ideas why this person is blocked?  He doesn't seem
to be in the ORBS database.

cgf

----- Forwarded message from Ken Shiring <kshiring@nc.rr.com> -----

From: Ken Shiring <kshiring@nc.rr.com>
To: postmaster@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:46:38 -0400

Your mailer daemon claims that my mail relay is on ORBS.  This is
verifiably false, and I am not listed in any of the other open relay lists
either.  Can you please investigate this delivery failure so I can post to
the 'gcc' list?

Thanks.

>Date: 26 Jun 2000 03:22:42 -0000
>From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
>To: kshiring@nc.rr.com
>Subject: failure notice
>
>Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.
>I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>
><gcc@gcc.gnu.org>:
>
>  In an effort to cut down on our spam intake we block email from
>  certain lists and unfortunately you have just discovered the hard
>  way that sometimes non-spam mail gets caught accidentally.
>  In most cases you can clear this up by an upgrade to your mail
>  server or sometimes by getting an erroneous listing removed.
>  For more information about our use of these lists, see
>        http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html
>
>  The IP number that I'm denying mail from is 24.93.67.48
>  The list that you're on is ORBS.  See:
>      http://www.orbs.org/verify.cgi?address=24.93.67.48
>  for more information about this list and why you are on it.
>

>--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.5.1877.357.35);

----- End forwarded message -----

--
cgf@cygnus.com                        Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/         http://www.redhat.com/

* Re: [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-06-26 18:07   ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2000-06-26 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any ideas why this person is blocked?  He doesn't seem
> to be in the ORBS database.

Did you check the others?  Alone last weekend I got two or three
different spams from people from rr.com.

* Re: [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-06-26 18:42     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-26 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 06:07:26PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have any ideas why this person is blocked?  He doesn't seem
>> to be in the ORBS database.
>
>Did you check the others?  Alone last weekend I got two or three
>different spams from people from rr.com.

Ack.  I remember now.  Everyone in rr.com is blocked.

cgf

* Re: [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-06-26 21:49   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-06-26 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: overseers

The message we sent people when they are ORBS-listed is buggy.  This
is documented at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/lists.html where it
says:

    However, do note that ORBS also has static listings - see the
    discussion of 127.0.0.4 at http://www.orbs.org/usingindex.html (static
    listings do not show up on the ORBS web query as of this writing).

However, fixing the message that gets sent out on the bounce would be
good.  (Or even more, just ignoring ORBS static listings since it is
the ORBS database listings we want, as far as I know - not that I've
tried to gather statistics on that one).

Here's how you look up whether something is ORBS-listed.  Reverse the 4
numbers in the IP address and look it up in the DNS:

[kingdon@localhost kingdon]$ nslookup 48.67.93.24.relays.orbs.org
Server:  ns2.mindspring.com
Address:  207.69.188.186

Name:    48.67.93.24.relays.orbs.org
Address:  127.0.0.40

[kingdon@localhost kingdon]$

* Re: [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-06-26 22:36   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-06-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas why this person is blocked?  He doesn't seem
> to be in the ORBS database.

He is listed in the manually maintained database:

  nunki[51]:~% host -a 48.67.93.24.relays.orbs.org
  48.67.93.24.relays.orbs.org     A       127.0.0.4

That mail server is an open relay but apparently the provider (rr.com
has a somewhat bad reputation) blocks the regular relay tests performed
by ORBS.

These kind of static ORBS listing usually shows that a provider is a
die-hard spammer haven or just does not care about the problem at all.

Gerald
Have a look at http://petition.eurolinux.org !

* Re: [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-06-26 22:52     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2000-06-26 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: cgf, overseers

   Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:36:03 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>

   That mail server is an open relay but apparently the provider (rr.com
   has a somewhat bad reputation) blocks the regular relay tests performed
   by ORBS.

   These kind of static ORBS listing usually shows that a provider is a
   die-hard spammer haven or just does not care about the problem at all.

The result of the ORBS tests on many correctly configured systems is
to send mail to the postmaster (I personally get a bunch of ORBS mail
every couple of months).  Many people block the ORBS relay tests
because they don't care to get unsolicited ORBS mail dumped in their
mailbox.  Blocking the ORBS tests does not imply that a site is a
spammer haven or that they don't care about the problem.

ORBS blocks sites which blocks the ORBS tests, which I don't think is
particularly friendly.  However, fortunately, it blocks them with a
different mechanism.  See
    http://www.orbs.org/usingindex.html
You can look at the result of the DNS lookup to see which table the
ORBS entry is in.  You may also be able to look at a subdomain of
orbs.org--I'm not quite sure what the subdomains mean.  This can be
used to permit mail from ORBS administratively blocked site.

Ian

* Re: [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-12-30  6:08   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: cgf, overseers

   Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:36:03 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf; +Cc: overseers

@ 2000-12-30  6:08 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2000-12-30  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any ideas why this person is blocked?  He doesn't seem
> to be in the ORBS database.

Did you check the others?  Alone last weekend I got two or three
different spams from people from rr.com.

* [kshiring@nc.rr.com: [postmaster@sourceware] Fwd: failure notice]
@ 2000-12-30  6:08 Chris Faylor
                   ` (3 more replies)

From: Ken Shiring <kshiring@nc.rr.com>
To: postmaster@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:46:38 -0400

Your mailer daemon claims that my mail relay is on ORBS.  This is
verifiably false, and I am not listed in any of the other open relay lists
either.  Can you please investigate this delivery failure so I can post to
the 'gcc' list?

Thanks.

>Date: 26 Jun 2000 03:22:42 -0000
>From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.cygnus.com
>To: kshiring@nc.rr.com
>Subject: failure notice
>
>Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.cygnus.com.
>I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>
><gcc@gcc.gnu.org>:
>
>  In an effort to cut down on our spam intake we block email from
>  certain lists and unfortunately you have just discovered the hard
>  way that sometimes non-spam mail gets caught accidentally.
>  In most cases you can clear this up by an upgrade to your mail
>  server or sometimes by getting an erroneous listing removed.
>  For more information about our use of these lists, see
>        http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html
>
>  The IP number that I'm denying mail from is 24.93.67.48
>  The list that you're on is ORBS.  See:
>      http://www.orbs.org/verify.cgi?address=24.93.67.48
>  for more information about this list and why you are on it.
>

>--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.5.1877.357.35);
>	Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:22:33 -0400

>Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:25:37 -0400
>To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
>From: Ken Shiring <kshiring@nc.rr.com>
>Subject: question about the state of gcc/ppc
>
>Hello all.  I am an IBM employee working the the embedded 40x series
>PowerPC group (hey to all the other IBMers on this list).  I heard from
>some 'net source recently that said the PPC port of GCC is very sub-optimal.
>
>Is there any truth in this?  Do the PPC maintainers have an opinion on the
>state of the PPC codebase?
>
>I am asking because I might be interested in joining the battle if PPC
>needs help.  I can't offer much in the way of compiler design, but I can
>offer my understanding of the PPC ISA and processor specific optimizations.
>
>I am not on the list, so cc: replies accordingly.  Keep up the good work.
>

>Ken Shiring
><kshiring@nc.rr.com>
>
>IBM Microelectronics Division
>PEPS Embedded PowerPC design group