* GDB Gnats is eating my submissions!
@ 2007-09-10 17:53 Wesley W. Garland
From: Wesley W. Garland @ 2007-09-10 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: wes

Hey, Guys!

(Thanks for the pointer, Daniel)

I'm trying to report a bug in GDB that inexplicably affects a LOT of my
code when building under gcc3.4 and Solaris 10 for gdb 6.x. (It's a
problem in dwarf2read.c and/or the format of the executable.. I don't know
enough about DWARF2 to comment more specifically).

Anyhow, I've tried twice now (once last week, once today) to submit this
bug, and it doesn't show up in gnats. I can't for the life of me figure
out why.  I have filled out all the required fields, typed at length,
selected category symtab, not confidential, serious, medium, sw-bug. I
attached a 460K tar ball with a bunch of debug info and a sample
executable. I have not gotten any email about it, and I HAVE checked my
spam filter.

Can anybody help me out? I'd really like to file this bug, it has come up
before in the list, but the reporter never filed a bug nor sent along an
executable. I have a test case that is -- I believe -- 100% replicable on
my environment (GNU tool chain as shipped with Solaris 10 for SPARC
platforms), and triggered when the executable is first loaded (before
run).

Oh -- I'm not on this list. If you could CC me on replies, I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks,
Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development

* Re: GDB Gnats is eating my submissions!
@ 2007-09-10 20:33 ` Jonathan Larmour
       [not found]   ` <be1f08ab0709101347p533a780x53779afee038a58c@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2007-09-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wesley W. Garland; +Cc: overseers

Wesley W. Garland wrote:

> Can anybody help me out? I'd really like to file this bug, it has come up
> before in the list, but the reporter never filed a bug nor sent along an
> executable. I have a test case that is -- I believe -- 100% replicable on
> my environment (GNU tool chain as shipped with Solaris 10 for SPARC
> platforms), and triggered when the executable is first loaded (before
> run).

I can't really help with GNATS stuff in general, although there are others
on this list who would be able to. But in advance of them replying, I would
suspect they would want to know a few more details:

1) what did you see when you tried to submit it
2) what IP would our server see you connecting from
3) what time did you try it (to the nearest few minutes - the server logs
have a high turnover).

Jifl

@ 2007-09-10 20:49     ` Wesley W. Garland
From: Wesley W. Garland @ 2007-09-10 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hi, Jonathan;

Assuming the server is logging socket IPs, I would have shown up as
205.189.48.253 (proxy.kingston.net). If you are logging
x-forwarded-for IP numbers (hey, I've seen stranger things) I would
have shown up as 205.210.53.214 (office-gw.page.ca).

According to the date on the tarball, I must have made my first
submission around 1720 EST on September 5th.

I think I made my second submission some time around 1200 EST today
(ack, my memory is NOT what it used to be).

Both times I got a "normal" looking result page (Thanks, we'll e-mail
you in a few minutes with the name of the person this problem has been
assigned to) or some such.

Thanks,
Wes

--

@ 2007-09-10 21:07       ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-09-10 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wesley W. Garland; +Cc: overseers

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 04:49:01PM -0400, Wesley W. Garland wrote:
> Hi, Jonathan;
>
> Assuming the server is logging socket IPs, I would have shown up as
> 205.189.48.253 (proxy.kingston.net). If you are logging
> x-forwarded-for IP numbers (hey, I've seen stranger things) I would
> have shown up as 205.210.53.214 (office-gw.page.ca).
>
> According to the date on the tarball, I must have made my first
> submission around 1720 EST on September 5th.
>
> I think I made my second submission some time around 1200 EST today
> (ack, my memory is NOT what it used to be).
>
> Both times I got a "normal" looking result page (Thanks, we'll e-mail
> you in a few minutes with the name of the person this problem has been
> assigned to) or some such.

That's very strange, since the server logs show you loading the create
page but never submitting it.  No POST's at all after it displayed the
submission form.  On the 5th it doesn't even show you fetching the
submission form.

I would recommend you just post the bug to the mailing list at this
point.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery