* GCC server – mailing archive's /current no longer working
@ 2020-03-07 18:25 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2020-03-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

I don't know whether this due to the move to the new server, but the
"current" links to the current month does no longer work:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/current shows not found but should
re-direct (this month) to https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-03/ as
always working and as documented under https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/

Cheers,

Tobias

* Re: GCC server – mailing archive's /current no longer working
@ 2020-03-07 19:57 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-03-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Burnus; +Cc: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

Hi -

> I don't know whether this due to the move to the new server, but the
> "current" links to the current month does no longer work:

Yes, the mailing list system is being redone completely.
Old /ml/ links will work, but new stuff will flow into a
mailman2 installation.  We'll think about what to do about
the current/ convenience link.

- FChE

* Re: GCC server – mailing archive's /current no longer working
@ 2020-03-07 19:59 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-03-07 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Burnus; +Cc: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 07:25:44PM +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>I don't know whether this due to the move to the new server, but the
>"current" links to the current month does no longer work:
>
>https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/current shows not found but should
>re-direct (this month) to https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-03/
>as always working and as documented under https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/

We're using mailman now so the "current" link no longer works.  The /ml/
directory is currently only for legacy mailing lists.  Mailman puts the
archives in, e.g., https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/ .

I'm thinking about ways to merge the old and new archives but, for now,
you must use the /pipermail/ link to access archives in the new
sourceware.

cgf

* Re: GCC server – mailing archive's /current no longer working
@ 2020-03-08 10:13   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2020-03-08 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

Hi,

how about simply redirecting "/ml/<name>/current" to
"/pipermail/<name>"? This avoids the not-found issue and one ends up at
the new mailing archive (albeit not for the current month, but that's
way better than an error message).

Cheers,

Tobias

@ 2020-03-08 16:27     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-03-08 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Burnus via Overseers; +Cc: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer, Tobias Burnus

On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 11:13:45AM +0100, Tobias Burnus via Overseers wrote:
>how about simply redirecting "/ml/<name>/current" to
>"/pipermail/<name>"? This avoids the not-found issue and one ends up
>at the new mailing archive (albeit not for the current month, but
>that's way better than an error message).

I experimented with that yesterday.  It should work.

cgf

* Re: GCC server – mailing archive's /current no longer working
@ 2020-03-08 17:41       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-03-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Burnus via Overseers, overseers, Gerald Pfeifer, Tobias Burnus

On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 12:27:48PM -0400, Christopher Faylor via Overseers wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 11:13:45AM +0100, Tobias Burnus via Overseers wrote:
>>how about simply redirecting "/ml/<name>/current" to
>>"/pipermail/<name>"? This avoids the not-found issue and one ends up
>>at the new mailing archive (albeit not for the current month, but
>>that's way better than an error message).
>
>I experimented with that yesterday.  It should work.

I created the symlinks.  They aren't quite the same as the old current
since they point to the most recent folder with content rather than
"this month's" folder.  But, I think I actually would prefer that
as a user since I rarely want to look at an empty folder.

cgf

* Re: GCC server – mailing archive's /current no longer working
@ 2020-03-08 18:43         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-03-08 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer, Tobias Burnus

On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 01:41:10PM -0400, Christopher Faylor via Overseers wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 12:27:48PM -0400, Christopher Faylor via Overseers wrote:
>>On Sun, Mar 08, 2020 at 11:13:45AM +0100, Tobias Burnus via Overseers wrote:
>>>how about simply redirecting "/ml/<name>/current" to
>>>"/pipermail/<name>"? This avoids the not-found issue and one ends up
>>>at the new mailing archive (albeit not for the current month, but
>>>that's way better than an error message).
>>
>>I experimented with that yesterday.  It should work.
>
>I created the symlinks.  They aren't quite the same as the old current
>since they point to the most recent folder with content rather than
>"this month's" folder.  But, I think I actually would prefer that
>as a user since I rarely want to look at an empty folder.

I've just aliased /ml/ to pipermail so that, e.g.,

https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils

brings you to the new mailman archives.

Direct access of a url like:

https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-08/msg00084.html

still works.

I'll put it back to the way it was if there are problems but I hope
this is the best of both worlds.

cgf