* Help with the database project
@ 2003-11-20 21:27 Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-11-20 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, fnasser

The Red Hat database project will now be a completely open community project in
sources.redhat.com.  We are updating the sources with the latest version and all
the development will be done there by whoever is interested.  I will be
maintaining a few pieces in my own time and we've got also one or two
maintainers for each of the other parts.  Fujitsu developers will also be
involved in the community project and I am working on recruiting some more
developers.

Our internal resources consisted of a cvs repository (which we already have in
sources, we are only adding the latest stuff to it), a Bugzilla database (which
basically controls our development and QA process) and the mailing lists.  We
only have a single mailing list on sources right now (rhdb).

I am open to suggestions, but I thought of the following organization and I am
begging you guys to help me set it up as soon as possible.

Here are the mailing lists:

rhdb        - General announcements, discussions and even patches for the
           the global spec file, build script etc. (ALREADY CREATED)

rhdb-cvs    - CVS commit messages

rhdb-admin    - Mailing list for the Administrator GUI tool.  Discussions,
           patches, anything related to rhdb-admin goes here.
           Deepak Bhole will be the head maintainer for that.

rhdb-cc        - Mailing list for the Control Center GUI tool.  Discussions,
           patches, anything related to rhdb-cc goes here.
           Fernando Nasser will be the head maintainer for that.

rhdb-explain    - Mailing list for the Visual Explain GUI tool.  Discussions,
           patches, anything related to rhdb-explain goes here.
           Fernando Nasser (and maybe Liam Stewart) will be the head
           maintainer(s) for that.

rhdb-installer    - Mailing list for the gcj based installer for the RHDB tools.
           Discussions, patches, anything related to the installer goes
           here.
           Andrew Overholt and David Jee will be the head maintainers.

rhdb-jdbc    - A JDBC3-compliant version of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver.
           Kim Ho and Fernando Nasser will be the interim maintainers
           but this may become the official version of the driver as
           it is being separated from the core PostgreSQL.  In that case
           Dave Cramer and Barry Lind will be in charge.

rhdb-utils    - Mailing list for the text mode utilities, like pg_filedump.
           Discussions, patches, anything related to the utilities goes
           here.
           Patrick Macdonald will be the maintainer.

I am not sure how the sources.redhat.com Bugzilla is organized.  Based on what
we use internally, we could have:

Product: rhdb

Components (with default component owner):

Admin        - Administrator        <dbhole@sources.redhat.com>
ControlCenter   - Control Center    <fnasser@sources.redhat.com>
Explain        - Visual Explain    <fnasser@sources.redhat.com>
Installer    - Installer        <overholt@sources.redhat.com>
JDBC        - JDBC Driver        <fnasser@sources.redhat.com>
Utils        - pg_filedump and friends    <patrickm@sources.redhat.com>
Docs        - Graphical Tools Guide        <fnasser@sources.redhat.com>
General        - build scripts and such    <fnasser@sources.redhat.com>

dbhole and overholt, as well as kho and djee must obtain accounts in sources yet
-- I don't mind being set as the interim default component owner while that is
done.  I believe they must send you their public SSH keys, right?  Their names are:

overholt - Andrew Overholt
dbhole   - Deepak Bhole
djee     - David Jee
kho      - Kim Ho

Well, I really appreciate anything you guys can do for us.  I know it is done on
your leisure time so I wouldn't be asking this if it was not really important.

Best regards,
Fernando

* Re: Help with the database project
@ 2003-11-20 21:48 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-11-20 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: overseers, fnasser

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 04:27:44PM -0500, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>The Red Hat database project will now be a completely open community
>project in sources.redhat.com.  We are updating the sources with the latest
>version and all the development will be done there by whoever is
>interested.  I will be maintaining a few pieces in my own time and we've
>got also one or two maintainers for each of the other parts.  Fujitsu
>developers will also be involved in the community project and I am working
>on recruiting some more developers.
>
>Our internal resources consisted of a cvs repository (which we already have
>in sources, we are only adding the latest stuff to it), a Bugzilla database
>(which basically controls our development and QA process) and the mailing
>lists.  We only have a single mailing list on sources right now (rhdb).
>
>I am open to suggestions, but I thought of the following organization and I
>am begging you guys to help me set it up as soon as possible.
>
>Here are the mailing lists:
>
>rhdb        - General announcements, discussions and even patches for the
>          the global spec file, build script etc. (ALREADY CREATED)
>
>rhdb-cvs    - CVS commit messages
 ^^^^^^^^

Already exists.

I've set up all of the mailing lists that you asked for.  I should point
out that there is already an rhdb-announce list, too.

I hope that Daniel Berlin might be able to help with the bugzilla stuff.

cgf

@ 2003-11-20 21:54   ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-11-20 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

Thank you very, very much!

@ 2004-01-01 17:50                 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2004-01-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: fnasser, Fernando Nasser, overseers

On Jan 1, 2004, at 11:49 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 11:33:48AM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>> Now it just has to have the same httpd settings as the gcc bugzilla
>> dir
>> does (which is +ExecCGI i think), so that the scripts execute, and it
>> finds index.cgi
>
> Ok.
>
> I set the permissions the same as gcc and moved the directory up a
> level
> to /www/sourceware to mimic gcc's layout a little better.
>
> So the directory location is now /www/sourceware/bugzilla.

I believe the reason this doesn't work is because the homedir for
sources.redhat.com is /www/sourceware/htdocs, so it's no longer part of
the sources website.
I could be wrong.

@ 2004-01-01 17:47                 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2004-01-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: fnasser, Fernando Nasser, overseers

On Jan 1, 2004, at 11:49 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 11:33:48AM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>> Now it just has to have the same httpd settings as the gcc bugzilla
>> dir
>> does (which is +ExecCGI i think), so that the scripts execute, and it
>> finds index.cgi
>
> Ok.
>
> I set the permissions the same as gcc and moved the directory up a
> level
> to /www/sourceware to mimic gcc's layout a little better.

Hmmmm.
Now it seems that sources.redhat.com/bugzilla accesses gcc's bugzilla
instead of /www/sourceware/bugzilla.

@ 2004-01-01 16:49               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: fnasser, Fernando Nasser, overseers

@ 2004-01-01 16:33             ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2004-01-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: fnasser, Fernando Nasser, overseers

On Jan 1, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> I'm going to be incommunicado for a few days so I won't be able to do
>>> this until Monday or so.
>>>

>> ping?
>>
>> Have you gotten a chance yet?
>
> oops.  I forgot.  There is a directory set up now:
> /www/sourceware/htdocs/bugzilla .
>
> I created a bugzilla group.  You and I are members of the group.  The
> directory
> has bugzilla group ownership, so...

Thanks.

@ 2004-01-01 16:06           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-01 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: fnasser, Fernando Nasser, overseers

@ 2004-01-01 14:43         ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2004-01-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: fnasser, Fernando Nasser, overseers

On Dec 18, 2003, at 10:20 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:42:01PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2003, at 5:08 PM, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> We are kind of needing a Bugzilla repository quickly (people are
>>> finding some bugs and the best way for us to manage this would be to
>>> have them in Bugzilla and assign to the proper person and so on).  Do
>>> you think you (or some other overseer) could set up this for us in a
>>> near future?  We don't seem to have any other alternative that we can
>>> use for that.
>>
>> Sorry it's taken so long. There have been two things preventing me
>> from
>> doing it until now.
>>
>> 1. I've had finals the past 2 weeks.
>> 2. There's currently a discussion about whether to put binutils/glibc
>> in gcc's bugzilla or not.
>> Nobody seems to care either way.
>>
>> If chris or someone else can create a sources.redhat.com/bugzilla dir
>> (I have no idea where sources.redhat.com's www dir is), and make sure
>> have access to read/write/execute in it, i can set up your bugzilla
>> for
>> you.
>>
>> That way, we can just have gcc bugzilla (which is hosted on
>> gcc.gnu.org, and has gcc in it), and sources.redhat.com bugzilla
>> (which
>> is hosted on sources.redhat.com, and has sources projects in it).
>
> I'm going to be incommunicado for a few days so I won't be able to do
> this until Monday or so.

ping?

Have you gotten a chance yet?

* Re: Help with the database project
@ 2003-12-19  3:20       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-19  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Fernando Nasser, fnasser, overseers

@ 2003-12-19  2:42     ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-12-19  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: fnasser, overseers

@ 2003-12-18 22:08   ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-12-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: fnasser, overseers

Hi Daniel,

We are kind of needing a Bugzilla repository quickly (people are finding some
bugs and the best way for us to manage this would be to have them in Bugzilla
and assign to the proper person and so on).  Do you think you (or some other
overseer) could set up this for us in a near future?  We don't seem to have any
other alternative that we can use for that.

Regards,
Fernando

@ 2003-11-24 14:41   ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2003-11-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: fnasser, overseers

Daniel Berlin wrote:

> The current sources.redhat.com Bugzilla is "compiler toolchain-type
> product" specific in some ways.
> For instance, has no product/os, it has host, target, and build
> triplets.  This is just an example.

OK.

> I would suggest we set up another Bugzilla instance for the
> non-host-target-etc specific projects (IE binutils can probably use gcc
> bugzilla, as could gdb, but rhdb probably wouldn't like it).

That would be wonderful.

> I can do this to the given specs if you want, Chris, it's really no
> trouble.

We'd really appreciate it.

       [not found] <3FBD2D62.3050203@redhat.com>
@ 2003-11-23 17:53 ` Daniel Berlin