* Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-02-07 22:46 Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2011-02-07 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hallo!

I'd like to get access to the mbox archives for sourceware.org /
gcc.gnu.org mailing list archives.  For some years, I've been subscribed
to a bunch of these (glibc, gcc, gdb, binutils), first in the course of
GNU/Hurd toolchain work, and later for CodeSourcery work, too.  Now, I
lost a bunch of my archives due to own stupidity -- and didn't preserve
most of the messages anyway, as they've been downloadable by anonymous
FTP, but are no more, as I had to figure out.  (And now, I found the
thread starting at
<http://sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2007-q3/msg00112.html>, continued at
<http://sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2007-q4/msg00013.html> to confirm
this.)

I very much prefer having the archives locally (and indexed / searchable
as I like it), instead of trying to extract what I'm occasionally looking
for from the web interface.  And no, I'm not going to sell email
addresses to spammers, etc.

I just had a chat with Ian L. Taylor in #overseers, and it seems that the
appropriate way to get hold of the archives is shell access to the
sourceware.org machine.

An option suggested by Ian was crawling the web list archives by HTTP
downloads (for the ``Raw text'' links), and re-constructing the original
messages (s%@% at% mangling, etc.) -- but I don't know if that was a
serious suggestions; it seems like unreasonable overhead to me (we're
talking about ten thousands of messages).

Likewise, I could talk to ezmlm to send me back each message; likely even
higher overhead.

I could use GMANE to export mbox files of gcc-patches starting in 2002,
for example.  Still, this seems illogical to me to rely on a third party
for this.

As I don't really want to bother you guys with this request too much, is
it possible to simply get shell access to the machine myself?

Grüße,
 Thomas

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-04-01 21:01 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2011-04-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hallo!

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:45:30 +0100, I wrote:
> I'd like to get access to the mbox archives for sourceware.org /
> gcc.gnu.org mailing list archives.

No answer, so I take it this is not admissible.  To get what I'd like, I
shall have to write some scripting hackery for interfacing with ezmlm by
email -- luckily this is ezmlm-idx, which allows for obtaining for ``a
maximum of 100 [messages] per request''.  Yet, given the list archives'
sizes, this will be some thousand request / answer emails, several
hundred MiB worth of data to transfer; to which timeframe should I spread
my requests to not needlessly stress the poor sourceware.org machine?

@ 2011-04-01 22:12   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-04-01 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge, overseers

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 11:01:00PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
>Hallo!
>
>On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:45:30 +0100, I wrote:
>> I'd like to get access to the mbox archives for sourceware.org /
>> gcc.gnu.org mailing list archives.
>
>No answer, so I take it this is not admissible.

Sorry for the lack of response.

No, it's not admissable.  We're not going to give out shell access to
the system to accommodate the needs of users who have personal reasons
to access the system.

We give out shell access on a per-project basis for people who need to
do administrative tasks and we try to be as stingy as possible when
doing even that.

cgf

* Re: Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-04-02 21:16   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2011-04-02 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: Thomas Schwinge

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
>> I'd like to get access to the mbox archives for sourceware.org /
>> gcc.gnu.org mailing list archives.
> No answer, so I take it this is not admissible.  To get what I'd like, I
> shall have to write some scripting hackery for interfacing with ezmlm by
> email -- luckily this is ezmlm-idx, which allows for obtaining for ``a
> maximum of 100 [messages] per request''.  Yet, given the list archives'
> sizes, this will be some thousand request / answer emails, several
> hundred MiB worth of data to transfer; to which timeframe should I
> spread my requests to not needlessly stress the poor sourceware.org
> machine?

Is there a more direct way to provide to Thomas what he wants?  I
could not find any mbox files on gcc.gnu.org any more, but perhaps
I've been missing them somewhere (or the could be recreated easily)?

Gerald

* Re: Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-04-02 21:49     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2011-04-02 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: overseers, Thomas Schwinge

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> >> I'd like to get access to the mbox archives for sourceware.org /
> >> gcc.gnu.org mailing list archives.
> > No answer, so I take it this is not admissible.  To get what I'd like, I
> > shall have to write some scripting hackery for interfacing with ezmlm by
> > email -- luckily this is ezmlm-idx, which allows for obtaining for ``a
> > maximum of 100 [messages] per request''.  Yet, given the list archives'
> > sizes, this will be some thousand request / answer emails, several
> > hundred MiB worth of data to transfer; to which timeframe should I
> > spread my requests to not needlessly stress the poor sourceware.org
> > machine?
>
> Is there a more direct way to provide to Thomas what he wants?  I
> could not find any mbox files on gcc.gnu.org any more, but perhaps
> I've been missing them somewhere (or the could be recreated easily)?

They're /sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives/.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

@ 2011-04-02 21:57       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2011-04-02 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: overseers, Thomas Schwinge

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> They're /sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives/.

Thanks for the pointer, Joseph.  Sadly these end Sep 26  2007, but
if still you want, Thomas, contact me off-list.

Gerald

* Re: Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-04-03  3:46         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-04-03  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, overseers, Thomas Schwinge

Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> They're /sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives/.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, Joseph.  Sadly these end Sep 26  2007, but
> if still you want, Thomas, contact me off-list.

There are more archives are in /qmail/*/*/archive.

Ian

* Re: Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-04-03 20:38           ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2011-04-03 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, overseers

Hallo!

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:45:51 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> writes:
> > On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> >> They're /sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives/.
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer, Joseph.  Sadly these end Sep 26  2007, but
> > if still you want, Thomas, contact me off-list.
>
> There are more archives are in /qmail/*/*/archive.

Sounds good!  How would I get access to these?  You send me a list of
those that are available, and I'll send back the list of those that I'm
interested in?

@ 2011-04-03 20:59             ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2011-04-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, Joseph S. Myers, overseers

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Sounds good!  How would I get access to these?  You send me a list of
> those that are available, and I'll send back the list of those that I'm
> interested in?

This is the internal qmail structure, one file per mail, 100 mails
per directory, some 280MB for the gcc@gcc.gnu.org archives tar-ed
up, 56MB for the same also bz2-ed.  I can provide this to you, if
you let me know a way to do so (offlist).  And one or two others.

Have you given http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.patches et al
a try?  That should be able to offer you want via NNTP.

Gerald