* Shell access / mailing list mbox archives
@ 2011-02-07 22:46 Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2011-02-07 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Hallo!

I'd like to get access to the mbox archives for sourceware.org /
gcc.gnu.org mailing list archives.  For some years, I've been subscribed
to a bunch of these (glibc, gcc, gdb, binutils), first in the course of
GNU/Hurd toolchain work, and later for CodeSourcery work, too.  Now, I
lost a bunch of my archives due to own stupidity -- and didn't preserve
most of the messages anyway, as they've been downloadable by anonymous
FTP, but are no more, as I had to figure out.  (And now, I found the
thread starting at
<http://sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2007-q3/msg00112.html>, continued at
<http://sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2007-q4/msg00013.html> to confirm
this.)

I very much prefer having the archives locally (and indexed / searchable
as I like it), instead of trying to extract what I'm occasionally looking
for from the web interface.  And no, I'm not going to sell email
addresses to spammers, etc.

I just had a chat with Ian L. Taylor in #overseers, and it seems that the
appropriate way to get hold of the archives is shell access to the
sourceware.org machine.

An option suggested by Ian was crawling the web list archives by HTTP
downloads (for the ``Raw text'' links), and re-constructing the original
messages (s%@% at% mangling, etc.) -- but I don't know if that was a
serious suggestions; it seems like unreasonable overhead to me (we're
talking about ten thousands of messages).

Likewise, I could talk to ezmlm to send me back each message; likely even
higher overhead.

I could use GMANE to export mbox files of gcc-patches starting in 2002,
for example.  Still, this seems illogical to me to rely on a third party
for this.

As I don't really want to bother you guys with this request too much, is
it possible to simply get shell access to the machine myself?

Grüße,
 Thomas