* Fwd: ezmlm warning
       [not found] <1398055301.29540.ezmlm-warn@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-23 11:07 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2014-04-23 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

So, likely you guys already know about dmarc and some folks are turning it on…  So, it looks like comcast thought you guys turned it on, and enabled rejects.

So, out of curiosity, did you?  I looked now, and I see it isn’t on.

I’ve checked lots of my old email for dkim=fail, and I see all bugzilla email fails dkim.  The latest failure was on March 31, 2014.

Begin forwarded message:
> From: gcc-patches-help@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: ezmlm warning
> Date: April 20, 2014 at 9:41:41 PM PDT
> To: mikestump@comcast.net

> gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list.
>

> Messages to you from the gcc-patches mailing list seem to
> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
> message I received.
>
> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
> I will remove your address from the gcc-patches mailing list,
> without further notice.
>

> I've kept a list of which messages from the gcc-patches mailing list have
> bounced from your address.
>
> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
> send an empty message to:
>   <gcc-patches-get.123_145@gcc.gnu.org>
>
> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
> send an empty message to:
>   <gcc-patches-index@gcc.gnu.org>
>
> Here are the message numbers:
>
>   364702
>   364826
>   364914
>   364933
>   365121
>   365339
>   365404
>
> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

> Date: 9 Apr 2014 07:16:37 -0000
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
> To: gcc-patches-return-364702-@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: failure notice
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <mikestump@comcast.net>:
> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
> <mikestump@comcast.net> 68.87.26.147 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 550 5.2.0 nhW41n0182qVqVd0DhW4cN Message rejected due to DMARC. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001

* Re: Fwd: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-04-23 15:44   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2014-04-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers

Hi, Mike -

> So, likely you guys already know about dmarc [...]
> So, out of curiosity, did you?  I looked now, and I see it isn’t on.

Nope, but we do have an SPF & DKIM record in DNS and sign outgoing
mail with DKIM.

> I’ve checked lots of my old email for dkim=fail, and I see all
> bugzilla email fails dkim.  The latest failure was on March 31,
> 2014.

It'd be handy if you could find a couple of raw message URLs in the
archives for analysis.

> > Remote host said: 550 5.2.0 nhW41n0182qVqVd0DhW4cN Message rejected due to DMARC. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001

Yeah, not enough information there.

- FChE

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-04-23 17:04     ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2014-04-23 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:43 AM, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@elastic.org> wrote:
>> I’ve checked lots of my old email for dkim=fail, and I see all
>> bugzilla email fails dkim.  The latest failure was on March 31,
>> 2014.
>
> It'd be handy if you could find a couple of raw message URLs in the
> archives for analysis.

Here are the raw bits for the last one I saw.  I think you can reproduce it on demand by cc: yourself on a bug report, and then just modify it.  It will then send out email to you.

The advantage of doing that is you can then get logging from the various tools and see in depth what was going on.

I’ll discount the issue I saw as a foible on comcast’s part.

Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: 59305.eml.bin --]
[-- Type: application/macbinary, Size: 5271 bytes --]

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-10-09 11:54         ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2014-10-09 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandler Carruth; +Cc: Rafael Avila de Espindola, Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> Yes, there is a reasonable path forward for mailing lists:
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/DMARC
>
> The far and away best approach is under the section "Munge the From:
> header". By re-writing the email to indicate it is indeed from the
> list server, DMARC issues are essentially completely resolved.

Or, more relevant to sourceware:

http://untroubled.org/ezmlm/archive/7.2.0/CHANGES

(stating that ezmlm-idx 7.2.0 adds such a feature and enables it for
senders with problematic DMARC policies - note that I've no idea how this
series of ezmlm-idx releases may or may not relate to the version in use
on sourceware, this was just what showed up with Google).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2014-10-09  5:26       ` Chandler Carruth
From: Chandler Carruth @ 2014-10-09  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Avila de Espindola; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, overseers

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM, Rafael Avila de Espindola
<rafael.espindola@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 8, 2014, at 20:51, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> >
> > Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> This looks like the same issues we had some time ago in the LLVM lists:
> >>
> >> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2014-May/072967.html
> >
> > There are no reasonable actions that we can take.  Yahoo! has chosen to
> > break mailing lists.
> >
> > Perhaps we should simply ban @yahoo.com addresses.

This won't help. It isn't just Yahoo. Dropbox and others are equally
impacted. DMARC is here to stay, and mailing lists will have to adapt
I'm afraid.

Even Google will change its policies here eventually.

@ 2014-10-09  5:19     ` Rafael Avila de Espindola
From: Rafael Avila de Espindola @ 2014-10-09  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers, Chandler Carruth

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 8, 2014, at 20:51, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
>
> Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This looks like the same issues we had some time ago in the LLVM lists:
>>
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2014-May/072967.html
>
> There are no reasonable actions that we can take.  Yahoo! has chosen to
> break mailing lists.
>
> Perhaps we should simply ban @yahoo.com addresses.

Chandler mentioned something about  a way to manage the headers in a mailing list that would avoid the problem.

> Ian

>> Messages to you from the gcc mailing list seem to
>> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
>> message I received.
>>
>> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
>> I will remove your address from the gcc mailing list,
>> without further notice.
>>

>> I've kept a list of which messages from the gcc mailing list have
>> bounced from your address.
>>
>> Copies of these messages may be in the archive.
>> To retrieve a set of messages 123-145 (a maximum of 100 per request),
>> send an empty message to:
>>   <gcc-get.123_145@gcc.gnu.org>
>>
>> To receive a subject and author list for the last 100 or so messages,
>> send an empty message to:
>>   <gcc-index@gcc.gnu.org>
>>
>> Here are the message numbers:
>>
>>   184984
>>   185030
>>   185061
>>
>> --- Enclosed is a copy of the bounce message I received.

>> Date: 26 Sep 2014 01:36:24 -0000
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
>> To: gcc-return-184984-@gcc.gnu.org
>> Subject: failure notice
>>
>> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
>> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>> This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>>
>> <rafael.espindola@gmail.com>:
>> User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
>> <rafael.espindola@gmail.com> 173.194.79.26 failed after I sent the message.
>> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is
>> not accepted due to domain's
>> 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com domain if
>> 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
>> 550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC
>> 550 5.7.1 initiative. ew4si810254pdb.247 - gsmtp

* ezmlm warning
@ 2013-04-01  4:45 overseers-help
From: overseers-help @ 2013-04-01  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listarch-overseers

overseers@sourceware.org mailing list.

Messages to you from the overseers mailing list seem to
message I received.

I will remove your address from the overseers mailing list,
without further notice.

I've kept a list of which messages from the overseers mailing list have
bounced from your address.

send an empty message to:
   <overseers-get.123_145@sourceware.org>

send an empty message to:
   <overseers-index@sourceware.org>

Here are the message numbers:

   12282
   12281
   12280
   12283
   12284
   12286
   12285

Date: 20 Mar 2013 03:49:28 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sourceware.org
To: overseers-return-12282-@sourceware.org
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.

<listarch-overseers@sources.redhat.com>:
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)

* Re: ezmlm warning
@ 2006-01-30 18:30     ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2006-01-30 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: overseers

On Dec 12, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:
>> It appears that sourceware uses qmail to forward on email and that
>> something before qmail on sourceware stripped out the ending newline
>> on the email before having fed it to qmail.  This appears to be an
>> internal to sourceware problem.

> You are correct that the problem must be internal to sourceware.  We
> suspect that it has been fixed, but we are keeping an eye on it.

Just got another one...  :-(

* ezmlm warning
@ 2003-07-29 17:05 overseers-help
From: overseers-help @ 2003-07-29 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listarch-overseers

overseers@sources.redhat.com mailing list.

Messages to you from the overseers mailing list seem to
message I received.

I will remove your address from the overseers mailing list,
without further notice.

I've kept a list of which messages from the overseers mailing list have
bounced from your address.

send an empty message to:
   <overseers-get.123_145@sources.redhat.com>

send an empty message to:
   <overseers-index@sources.redhat.com>

Here are the message numbers:

   5966

Date: 16 Jul 2003 02:51:59 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sources.redhat.com
To: overseers-return-5966-@sources.redhat.com

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sources.redhat.com.

/usr/sourceware/bin/local-mail-only.sh: line 20: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sourceware/bin/local-mail-only.sh: line 24: /dev/null: Permission denied
Sender: overseers-return-5966-listarch-overseers=sources.redhat.com@sources.redhat.com
This mailing list is not for general discussions.  Please resend your
mail note to a more appropriate list.