* Banned IP address for CI glibc builds?
@ 2012-05-31 18:08 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2012-05-31 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Overseers,

One of our volunteers is bringing up a continuous integration system
for building and testing GLIBC.

The IP address of the machine is: 130.161.158.181

You can see the build status here:
http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/glibc-master

Our volunteer indicates that it appears his IP has been banned from
doing git pull's of the glibc repo hosted on sourceware?

He admits that he is issuing a git pull every 5-10 minutes.

What's the right process here? How often are we allowed to pull from the repo?

Has he actually be banned? What's the process for talking about undoing this?

Cheers,
Carlos.
--
Carlos O'Donell
Mentor Graphics / CodeSourcery

* Re: Banned IP address for CI glibc builds?
@ 2012-05-31 18:16 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2012-05-31 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers

Hi -

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:27:52PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> One of our volunteers is bringing up a continuous integration system
> for building and testing GLIBC.
>
> The IP address of the machine is: 130.161.158.181

OK, it's been unblocked.  Please ensure that these folks use efficient
git operations (pull as opposed to clone).

- FChE

* Re: Banned IP address for CI glibc builds?
@ 2012-05-31 20:22   ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2012-05-31 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: overseers

On 5/31/2012 1:35 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:27:52PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> One of our volunteers is bringing up a continuous integration system
>> for building and testing GLIBC.
>>
>> The IP address of the machine is: 130.161.158.181
>
> OK, it's been unblocked.  Please ensure that these folks use efficient
> git operations (pull as opposed to clone).

Many thanks.

The volunteer says he uses `git pull --rebase` to update the repo which seems like the most efficient operation.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--

@ 2012-05-31 20:24 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2012-05-31 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: overseers

On Thu, 31 May 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Overseers,
>
> One of our volunteers is bringing up a continuous integration system
> for building and testing GLIBC.

> He admits that he is issuing a git pull every 5-10 minutes.

Maybe he could instead do it only when he receives a message on
the glibc-cvs@ mailing list?  Works for me for gcc and friends.

brgds, H-P

* Re: Banned IP address for CI glibc builds?
@ 2012-06-07  5:51     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2012-06-07  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, overseers

On 31/05/12 19:16, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 5/31/2012 1:35 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:27:52PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>> One of our volunteers is bringing up a continuous integration
>>> system for building and testing GLIBC.
>>>
>>> The IP address of the machine is: 130.161.158.181
>>
>> OK, it's been unblocked.  Please ensure that these folks use
>> efficient git operations (pull as opposed to clone).
>
> Many thanks.
>
> The volunteer says he uses `git pull --rebase` to update the repo which
> seems like the most efficient operation.

I have no real knowledge of the requirements of the build system, but it
strikes me that rather than polling every 5 minutes, it would be better to
do something event driven, possibly based on git hooks
(<http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks>), or even just
commit messages sent to the mailing list.

Jifl